Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP Stingers or FRPP GTA's

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Personally.....I haven't found a muffler I like better than the FRPP stingers on the GT 3v
GTA's are great sound for 6's
imo not loud enough on gt's

Personal favorite setup on a 3v:
FRPP stingers
O/R H
.........o/r x sounds sweet too lol

U will be upset if you went with anything other than FRPP stingers ....as far as FRPP goes anyway.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:53 PM
surf808
2nd Gear Member

I'm thinking the Stingers would be too close to the MAC's in terms of volume. Just looking for something louder than the stock ones but tamer than the MAC's I had.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:59 PM
d_ames117
2nd Gear Member

I have the GTA's and really like them...especially the 4" tips....I think the stingers have 3.5" tips, not a huge difference, I know. You really need to hear them both in person to make a truly educated decision, though.

Dustin
Old 11-09-2009, 10:22 PM
oldlugs
2nd Gear Member

Though nobody mentioned 'em, the KR/FR500S muffs sound pretty good, and have no drone.
I had them on my Bullitt before I ever heard them on a KR... I have to admit though, they do sound better on the KR.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:42 AM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldlugs
Though nobody mentioned 'em, the KR/FR500S muffs sound pretty good, and have no drone.
Yes, see post #17 :-)

Originally Posted by oldlugs
I had them on my Bullitt before I ever heard them on a KR... I have to admit though, they do sound better on the KR.
Does the KR have a X-pipe? Could account for the difference in tone.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:41 AM
oldlugs
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sycd
Yes, see post #17 :-)

Does the KR have a X-pipe? Could account for the difference in tone.
No, the KR comes with an H. The standard GT-500s used the X. The KR mufflers actually sound similar on both the Bullitt and the KR, but only at idle. Seems that the 4 valve heads on the KR give the exhaust a "sweeter", less raspy sound than the single exhaust valve of the 3V engines. Just sounds a bit more like an exotic. Anyway, the KR muffs sound pretty good on either.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

First post here. I just bought a set of the "quieter" Borla's 11752's last week from Shelby Performance for $359 plus shipping. Totally happy with them, no drone and that is by far the best price you will find on those! I like the stingers too, but not willing to put up with the drone.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:03 PM
surf808
2nd Gear Member

I'm thinking that the Magnaflow mufflers would fit what I'm looking for.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Steves07GTCS
1st Gear Member

Have GTA's on my bolt on 3V and to be honest they are too quiet. They sound awesome when getting on the throttle, but otherwise they are barely louder than stock. It sucks when my other mustang buddies start their cars up and people look over to see what's going on but never hear me among the group.

That being said my plan is to put long tubes and an off road x on the car, so my hope is that the GTA's will be perfect in that scenario. We'll see. In the meantime, GTA's by themselves have a clean sound but are not attention grabbers at all.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:06 PM
KeneticEnergy
2nd Gear Member

i have the magnaflows (with the 2.5" mid pipes) and they may be what you are looking for. noticeable and loud when you gun it, mellow when you cruise (but not as quiet as the GTA's)

i had stingers and they were way too loud for my 60 mile round trip commute and had to drive aroudn the drone RPMs. IMO the stingers sound amazing. if you can take the sound or have the spare time to weld some resonators on the midpipe to quiet them down, get them.

i loved the sound

the GTA's sound amazing too. if they arent loud enough you can always go catless or highflow with a midpipe

Quick Reply: FRPP Stingers or FRPP GTA's