Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

gears for a blower?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 02:55 PM
jyna06gt
1st Gear Member

Default gears for a blower?

I am looking to add a blower this spring to my 06 gt, I had seen on brenspeeds site that they suggest 3.73 gears for a blower app. but I keep reading on how the 4.10's make it much more fun driving the car. Also I had seen that brenspeed has the Paxton h.o. kit for around 4,995.00 and I was looking at that or a procharger, granted I know hear all about the prochargers being more power but I hear that vortech is more reliable unit I say vortech because it basically the same unit that Paxton uses since vortech owns Paxton. would any of you guys know where I would be able to get a good supercharger kit for or around that price of the Paxton from brenspeed and still be able to put down the power that the kits states (470hp 420tq) ??? Centrifugal only please not really interested in roots or Whipples.

any help would be great also if any of you supercharged guys have 4.10 let me know what you think.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:22 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

for a few hundred bucks more I would just get a saleen or e force unit, if you are spending that much money do it right.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:44 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
for a few hundred bucks more I would just get a saleen or e force unit, if you are spending that much money do it right.
what are you talking about doing it right? since when are prochargers and other centris considered not doing it right? Do you own one of these centris and have enough experience with them to rag on them like that? the man says hes not interested roots or whipples(which mean twin screws with include the Saleen)

As for the OP, are you looking for new kits only? Because used procharger HO kits can be had for 2500-3500 easily. You just gotta look.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:47 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

and as for the gears, i would say it just depends on what you like better. 4.10s are going to be more fun and i dont think there are really any issues with centris and 4.10s since they do not produce the instant torque right off the line as other superchargers do. You do alot of HWY driving? if so, go with the 3.73s.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:58 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

4.10S here with a Vortech at 12psi, you'll need a good tire for traction, but man what a kick in the azz it is to drive!
Old 11-03-2009, 11:39 PM
jyna06gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChiDiddy
what are you talking about doing it right? since when are prochargers and other centris considered not doing it right? Do you own one of these centris and have enough experience with them to rag on them like that? the man says hes not interested roots or whipples(which mean twin screws with include the Saleen)

As for the OP, are you looking for new kits only? Because used procharger HO kits can be had for 2500-3500 easily. You just gotta look.
well i have looked threw the classifieds on here and have seen quite a few steals on prochargers and vortechs, but my biggest concern is with a used unit u never really know what you have unless you tear the blower apart and really look inside to see how good of shape its in. Thats the only reason why i was looking new.That's is exactly what i was looking at with the gears (because you dont have the torq up front with a centri) that with the 4.10's it should really help getting my tank moving before i start building boost, i mean i do alot of highway driving but once its blown its not going to be my everyday driver.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:41 PM
jyna06gt
1st Gear Member

by the way has anyone used the snow performance water/meth injection yet with there blower? if so how do you like it?
Old 11-04-2009, 06:06 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Been a while, but car used to have a Procharger P1SC with 4:10s. Very nice unit with zero issues. Sold it locally long time ago.

but my biggest concern is with a used unit u never really know what you have

Of course there are risks. Would be good to find one where you know the history of the car and driver. I sell all the stuff off my car as it evolves, to mates who are upgrading. Just sold the 4r70w to a friend. First time out at the track with his new 4r automatic transmission, he went from a previous best 11.8 to 10.5...lol

Don't know about the Snow meth, but we use meth. Got to be careful with it...the stock intake manifold is designed for gas, not a mixture of gas + meth. We may still use it on our new build, but won't if IATs behave.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:00 PM
fireguyty
1st Gear Member

Go with what Brenspeed recommends imo

Quick Reply: gears for a blower?