Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

When do the stock rear shocks go ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:01 PM
auraaura

Default When do the stock rear shocks go ??

I've got 33,000 miles on my '07. The rear end seems lately to be getting a little "bouncy". Or maybe it's just my imagination. When do the OEM shocks start to wear out? Also, any recommendations on a good aftermarket replacement? I'm perfectly happy with the damping of the stock units, just wish they'd last a little longer (if they're indeed starting to wear out).
Old 11-08-2009, 09:49 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Shocks and struts for the most part have a life of 50K miles.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by auraaura
I've got 33,000 miles on my '07. The rear end seems lately to be getting a little "bouncy". Or maybe it's just my imagination. When do the OEM shocks start to wear out? Also, any recommendations on a good aftermarket replacement? I'm perfectly happy with the damping of the stock units, just wish they'd last a little longer (if they're indeed starting to wear out).
This is a dumb answer but make sure to check your tire pressure.

Everyone always recommends what they have which is what I will do. I have the Tociko D-specs. They were a little over $500 plus a little more to have the front springs compressed. I did not think that being adjustable wold make a big difference. But after some not so scientific experements, I came to the conclusion that they were well worth the money.

My wife can tell if the car has not been adjusted since being at the track (loose front, firm rear), she can tell if I firmed it up and went corner carving ( very firm in front, firm in rear) or if it's just right which is about a little past half way turned out front and rear. She also think it rides better than when it was the stock ride height. I have Eibach pro springs.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

As far as replacements, I like the Koni STR.Ts I have. Granted, the only thing I can compare them to is stock, but they're a huge improvement, and are relatively inexpensive.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:07 PM
oldlugs
2nd Gear Member

I dumped my stock Bullitt shocks at 500 miles, and glad I did. If you're running stock springs the Koni STR or Bilstein would be my pick, but with lowering springs, I went with the adjustable Koni yellows.
Quality shocks make a huge improvement in a Mustang's handling! ...Stock shocks are little better than junk.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:54 PM
auraaura

Thanks for the input, guys. The more I drive the more I'm convinced the rear shocks are about gone. I'll definately go aftermarket on the replacements, just as cheap as the Ford parts and better performance to boot...
Old 11-10-2009, 10:20 AM
zoomerman46
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input, guys. The more I drive the more I'm convinced the rear shocks are about gone. I'll definately go aftermarket on the replacements, just as cheap as the Ford parts and better performance to boot...
Take a peek under the car and see if the shocks are leaking. I had stock shocks with Roush rear springs for a couple years .Only 20,000 miles on my 05 but heard clunking noise from the rear found the passenger rear shock blown out an leaking. Put on set of Koni STR.T rear only for now . Well worth it. Car handles much better from a dig. Not as choppy and uncontrolled as with the stock rears. Plan on replacing the fronts with Roush springs,STR.T 's and Gt500 strut mounts over the winter.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Can't go wrong with the STR.Ts and Strano has good deal on them right now as well ($409 + shipping)... http://www.stranoparts.com/
Old 11-10-2009, 02:33 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

With only 33,000 miles, does your warranty cover them?
Old 11-13-2009, 08:01 PM
1BADHRSE
1st Gear Member

Mine went with 30,000 miles 20,000 of which were on prokit springs...

Quick Reply: When do the stock rear shocks go ??