Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I love the fact...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 09:12 PM
JasonIsAGeek
1st Gear Member

Oh, I've wanted to succumb to the temptations of modding. Just couldn't afford it (not the stuff I want to do anyways). I especially can't afford it now that I'm back in school for my masters in PA studies. I'll be making good money when I graduate though, so we'll see then. I also still have my first car which is a 77 amc hornet wagon that I'd like to do a frame off resto/mod to. I need a garage. haha
Old 12-13-2009, 09:46 AM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

A Hornet Wagon?!?!?! OMG I can't believe there is still one of those beasts out there. I had a two door 1970 Hornet coupe when I was in High School, those many, many years ago. For those of you not familiar, it was the cousin of the Gremlin, but this one had a real trunk. Mine had a single barrel carburetted, straight 6, 250 CID and no electronic ignition. Those cars were horrible. I couldn't wait to get rid of mine. Mine had No A/C, No power steering, No power windows, or brakes, locks, cruise, it was a very basic car. Everything was powered by me. The steering wheel on that thing must have been 24" across. The brakes were also horrible. Four wheel non-powered drum brakes that weren't safe by any standards. When I wanted to stop I had to push really hard and pray it would eventually stop. Had to leave a big cushion of space in front of me. I guess starting with that car is what made me always anticipate what other drivers are going to do since I had to have a greater margin of error. The worst thing I hated about that car was that it had a vacuum powered windshield wipers. Yes folks you heard me correctly. Imagine windshield wipers that would speed up and slow down as the vacuum power of the motor varied. Sometimes they would even stop. Not the kinda thing you want on a day that it is raining hard. That is one car I do not get nostalgic about.

Last edited by chronos; 12-13-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Jer5757
1st Gear Member

wow that does not sound like a fun car to drive. i use to have a old civic and hated driving that thing in the rain cuz if the water was even like an inch the car would slide cuz it was too light n would just float across. but atleast i had ac and power steering and brakes
Old 12-13-2009, 02:44 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
A Hornet Wagon?!?!?! OMG I can't believe there is still one of those beasts out there. I had a two door 1970 Hornet coupe when I was in High School, those many, many years ago. For those of you not familiar, it was the cousin of the Gremlin, but this one had a real trunk. Mine had a single barrel carburetted, straight 6, 250 CID and no electronic ignition. Those cars were horrible. I couldn't wait to get rid of mine. Mine had No A/C, No power steering, No power windows, or brakes, locks, cruise, it was a very basic car. Everything was powered by me. The steering wheel on that thing must have been 24" across. The brakes were also horrible. Four wheel non-powered drum brakes that weren't safe by any standards. When I wanted to stop I had to push really hard and pray it would eventually stop. Had to leave a big cushion of space in front of me. I guess starting with that car is what made me always anticipate what other drivers are going to do since I had to have a greater margin of error. The worst thing I hated about that car was that it had a vacuum powered windshield wipers. Yes folks you heard me correctly. Imagine windshield wipers that would speed up and slow down as the vacuum power of the motor varied. Sometimes they would even stop. Not the kinda thing you want on a day that it is raining hard. That is one car I do not get nostalgic about.
I'm sorry, but I just had to laugh at that description This was a little before my time.. they might have still been on the road during my generation.. assuming it lasted at least 10 years.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:34 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

The Hornet ran from 1970 to 1977. It got a little better later on as government standards and the public demanded more out of a car, but the 70 was a relic since it was probably designed in the 60's. AMC was not a really forward thinking company, that's why they went out of business in the mid 70's. If you are in your 40's then you must have seen the Hornet and the Gremlin in your youth. For those who don't know what they looked like I grabbed a few pics of the internet. These are NOT of my car, but my car did have a blue vinyl interior and a blue exterior, which I painted it black in an attempt to make it look better. But it was still a tank. The reason I drove this as my first car is that it was Free, otherwise I would never have sunk a penny in to that thing. Mine was also an automatic, but you can see how big the steering wheel was. I also remembered that driving it at night was challenging since I couldn't read the speedometer. Not that I needed glasses, it was the dim lighting that it had. Aside from being dim, and sideways lit, it also had an ugly green hue and underpowered bulbs. Everything on that car was underpowered, specially the electrical system. The only compliment I can give it is that it was a tank. One time I got rear ended in it (while on a date no less) by a drunk driver in a full size truck, and it only messed up the rear bumper and broke one tail light. I can tell you that the impact was strong enough that it probably would have totaled my Stang.

Last edited by chronos; 12-13-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:42 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I can see why they went under lol.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:21 PM
JasonIsAGeek
1st Gear Member

Luckily for me by 77 they had made some drastic improvements. Mine has power steering, power brakes (discs up front drums in the back), AC, electric wipers, etc.

I'm only 29 so I wasn't even born when my car was made. It was my daily driver until I got my mustang, so it was pretty reliable for a car of its age and mileage. Not to down on the vintage mustang guys, but I liked the fact that when I drove it I had zero probability of seeing another one on the road. Plus, wagons are cool. To me at least. And you're right about it being a tank, solid steel FTW.

It's retired for now and needs some work. I want to keep the original color whenever I do restore it though (to the chagrin of many I'm sure ).

Old 12-13-2009, 10:57 PM
OCLandspeeder
1st Gear Member

Well ever since I got my 06 GT, I noticed other drivers stare at the car, then me. Even when I park it, I see people walk by ogling the car then me. It's like they see the cool car and they want to know who is driving it! It crosses genders too.

I'm not dissing the 2010 because I happen to think that Mustang is also bad-*** looking. However, the 05-09's look even better because they are simply unmistakably aggressive and masculine....it's like the Marlboro Man or Dirty Harry or Steve McQueen! The car oozes confidence and Testosterone and gets people turned on. I live in Orange County, CA, where BMW's, Lexus, Cadillacs, and Infiniti's are a dime a dozen. But when my Mustang GT arrives at the nearest watering hole, all eyes go to the Mustang. First you hear that beautiful V8 as it slows down then as it idles to park, then you admire the curves and the aggressive front end, and those Bullitt wheels. It is bad-*** to the bone!

Since we are posting pics, I may as well show mine off.

Nobody can resist staring at the Mustang!

It doesn't matter which angle they see either, it is sexy as hell!
Old 12-13-2009, 11:12 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

My first car was a 1987 Chevy caprice station wagon. Built like a tank. They sure do teach you how to drive good. Could barely see over the steering wheel lol. Nothing fancy, just down to earth driving.

Love my mustang and it's aggressive look. Only if it was yellow.. but then yellow is a cop magnet oh well, I foresee other mustangs in the future. I still love my pony.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:07 PM
silverstang23
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz
Uh oh...Wait a second. Do I see window tint? Some would consider that a mod.

ha ha. Just kidding. Car looks good dude.
I considered window tint the first mod I made to my car, but don't list it if someone asks me what I have done to it

Quick Reply: I love the fact...