Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Autolite HT1.... FAILED....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:27 PM
RainsFather
1st Gear Member

note that when choosing between the champions and the brisks that brisk is currently the only company making a colder heat range "one piece" plug than stock but not many people have had them last longer than 6 months. So for a N/A setup go champions, for a FI setup go either Autolite HT0 and risk the two piece design and annoying way to gap them or Brisk and risk them not lasting.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:59 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

something else is going wrong with this than just the plugs being trash.

I know many many guys running HT0's and HT1's in their 4.6 and 5.4 motors. Not a single one has issues.

On the flip side, damn near everybody I know running those Champions has nothing but issues. Especially with them fouling and the gap being hard to set properly.

you sure your motor isn't damaged? you had something seriously wrong going on there. Those plugs are way to dark and covered with unburnt fuel. How long were you driving with this condition?
Old 01-04-2010, 01:50 AM
javina80
2nd Gear Member

I noticed issues about a week ago... NO I am not oblivious to what pinging/detonation is, and NO I am not leaving anything out of my story, I'm just sharing an issue I have unfortunately experienced..... Only present issues were a misfire and gas mileage went to crap. I have gotten in contact with the tuner I got my tunes from, and I think I got a bad tune.... There is no engine damage, compression hits good, and valve events are dead on..... No loss of pressure either with a leak down test. I am very fortunate so to say that the engine did not suffer any damage. It is as if that plug just burned up. I don't beat the crap out of my car, I drive it close to 100 miles a day. Sometimes I do get on it and do listen. I am not one to throw around what I know, or what I have done on cars, or where I ahve worked on them at. All I know is somethin happened here and sharing what I found..... Oh, and on the pic, the only one used is the Autolite on the left, the middle Motorcraft is a new one out of the box. I just used at as an example to what the HT1 was supposed to look like. I am pretty sure my tune was makin it run super lean though, no bueno....
Old 01-04-2010, 01:54 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by javina80
I am pretty sure my tune was makin it run super lean though, no bueno....
I agree. and then once the electrode was damaged, the unburnt fuel caked the plug

nothing personal man...it's just not often you see stuff like that. and usually people leave the important stuff out of their story since it seems to never be their fault.

side note: were you using the proper octane gas for the tune? or perhaps got bad gas? I had a tune for 91 octane in my F-150 (Supercharged) with a 30 gallon tank of 87 & 93 octane mixed...the truck did not like that mixture.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:02 AM
javina80
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
I agree. and then once the electrode was damaged, the unburnt fuel caked the plug

side note: were you using the proper octane gas for the tune? or perhaps got bad gas? I had a tune for 91 octane in my F-150 (Supercharged) with a 30 gallon tank of 87 & 93 octane mixed...the truck did not like that mixture.
I did get gas once a couple week back at some staion out in the dunes.... my tune is for 91 octane, but with my luck.... it was probably 50 octane....lol
Old 01-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
something else is going wrong with this than just the plugs being trash.

I know many many guys running HT0's and HT1's in their 4.6 and 5.4 motors. Not a single one has issues.

On the flip side, damn near everybody I know running those Champions has nothing but issues. Especially with them fouling and the gap being hard to set properly.

you sure your motor isn't damaged? you had something seriously wrong going on there. Those plugs are way to dark and covered with unburnt fuel. How long were you driving with this condition?

You're reading different posts than I do. I see very few issues with Champion 1 piece plugs. Most reports I see, people are very happy with them. I've got over 25K miles on a set of Champions and not one single problem. I recently had a leak down compression test run. I asked the tech how the plugs looked, he said they looked great and he just put them right back in. I can't imagine why you say they're hard to gap, it's a standard design that has been around forever, quite easy to set the gap. Just my $.02 worth.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:51 AM
RainsFather
1st Gear Member

How is a standard style plug harder to gap than one like the motorcraft/ht0/ht1 style?
Old 01-04-2010, 01:48 PM
javina80
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RainsFather
How is a standard style plug harder to gap than one like the motorcraft/ht0/ht1 style?
good question.... I know the HT1's suck to gap without that super expensive tool....
Old 01-04-2010, 05:03 PM
07hotwheel

I put in the Champions 3,000 miles ago. So far, so good. And it's a regular gap. But, has anyone tried those E3 super plugs? I saw a show that said they can increase horsepower.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07hotwheel
I put in the Champions 3,000 miles ago. So far, so good. And it's a regular gap. But, has anyone tried those E3 super plugs? I saw a show that said they can increase horsepower.
They don't make one for the 3V engine. Also, no plug "makes" HP. Your engine makes the HP, all the plug does is light the fire.

Quick Reply: Autolite HT1.... FAILED....