Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Second time since Brenspeed tune the car doesn't want to start when cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:38 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Default Second time since Brenspeed tune the car doesn't want to start when cold

so i went to a friends house to watch UFC tonight and its about 40 degrees outside. My car starts up fine, right away like always i start to pull out and it stalls and dies on me. I thought I just stalled it (5spd) and went to start it back up. the car turns over and over for about 45 seconds then fires up only to barely idle. It woudln't respond to the throttle just idles very roughly at about 500 rpm. I put the pedal on the floor and it roared back to life after nothing for a second or so and was fine after that for the few blocks to my house.

this is the second time that the car has done this to me since i put the CAi and breenspeed tune on it. any ideas? both times have been when the car was cold. It stays in the garage overnight so tonight is about the coldest it has been out in. the last time it was putting out lots of black smoke, it was dark tonight but i didn't se any smoke. It ran fine all day and had ran fine until it sat for several hours whiel i watched the fights. I had an error throwing a few months back for dirty TB that fixed after some TB cleaner, could the same black gunk from teh TB be deeper in the engine causing problems? Thanks for suggestions.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:19 AM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

Have you called them and talked to them about it? Or just assume its the tune that is causing the issue....
Old 01-03-2010, 12:59 AM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

its been in the teens and single digits where I am, much colder than texas, my car starts just fine on the brenspeed 87 tune
Old 01-03-2010, 01:05 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

sounds like you flooded her out when you stalled it.

I would contact Brenspeed though and see what they think.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

My car starts just fine in single digit weather on my Brenspeed tune, I surprised my car runs as well as it does in the cold weather but I do stay out of boost.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:42 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cobra443
Have you called them and talked to them about it? Or just assume its the tune that is causing the issue....
The first time it happened it was literally minutes after i installed the tune. That time i had to reflash to the 87 and then put the 91 tune back on and its been fine for over a month. I assumed since it was the same symptoms this time that it was the tune. Perhaps I had junk in the gas, i don't know. I didn't flood the car though, like I said I took off like normal and it just stopped, made sort of popping sounds and died. I thought at first I stalled it.

Also, this never happened before installing the tune and CAI, that's why i assume its related to that. If there is something else that coudl be causing this not related to the tune i am open to other suggestions.

Last edited by ShaneM; 01-03-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:59 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
didn't flood the car though, like I said I took off like normal and it just stopped, made sort of popping sounds and died. I thought at first I stalled it.

Also, this never happened before installing the tune and CAI, that's why i assume its related to that. If there is something else that coudl be causing this not related to the tune i am open to other suggestions.
Have you checked to make sure that your CAI is secure and there are no air leaks?
Old 01-03-2010, 09:23 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
Have you checked to make sure that your CAI is secure and there are no air leaks?
Yeah that's the first thing i checked last time. i will check again though just to be sure. Like i said it ran fine all day, had driven it a few hours befoer this happened and all was fine. It acted up and after flooring it the car was fine again. If the CAI was loose i would not expect the issue to go away and woudln;t the car throuw an error? It has not, now tha ti think about it though the car has an odd idle every now and again it sits rock solid at 800 then will drop a hundred for a second and pick back up every now and again.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Some of the CAI's are more prone to air leaks from slipping clamps than others but most air leaks will cause a CEL. I'm assuming you've ruled out a problem with the fuel you're running. If it persists, I'd return the CAI & tune to stock and leave the car out for a few cold starts to confirm that it's not something besides the combo. Another good TB cleaning and cleaning the MAF wouldn't hurt but I'd try going back to stock before "masking" what the culprit is.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:02 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

When I found an air leak, I got an odd idle also. I could feel the shake and hear the rattle.. I would still talk to brenspeed though and see what they have to say.

Quick Reply: Second time since Brenspeed tune the car doesn't want to start when cold