Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust rattle because of cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Metroshica
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust rattle because of cold weather?

This weekend I installed my SLP LM's, and I immediately fell in love. Took me 2-3 hours, but definitely worth it. Anyway, all weekend they were sounding fine but as of yesterday morning I've been noticing a weird rattle coming out of them when I turn on the car and in the first 5-6 minutes when I'm at low rpms. I'm pretty sure I tightened all the bolts down tight, I double and triple checked em before I was done. I'm wondering if the cold weather is causing the metal to constrict a little and rattle, it's been about 10-15 degrees everyday here. Anyway, I'll double check the installation when it gets a little warmer here and the snow melts, but has anyone heard about a problem like this before? I really think it has to do with the temperature because after a bit the problem goes away, which leads me to think that when it warms up the problem goes away, but I could be wrong.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:40 AM
rustic2169
1st Gear Member

Basically, in the cold, metal with contract and that is most likely what is causing the rattle. When your pipes are nice and hot, the metal with expand filling the gaps that were previously there from the contracting metal.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:45 AM
7STANG
99GTverts minion

I have 2007 GT also. I get a rattle when the car is cold also. I believe their is a TSB on this. I think it has to do with a shield on the transmission but I could be wrong. Maybe this is what you are hearing?
Old 01-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Metroshica
2nd Gear Member

Should I tighten down the pipes more than, when they are cold? They will already be contracted, but will that cause problems then when they heat up and expand again?
Old 02-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Metroshica
2nd Gear Member

So I tightened em up, worked great for about a week, and now the rattle is back, sounds a little different, but I'm 100% sure it's coming from the exhaust again, anyone know if I can but lock washers on the band clamps?
Old 02-01-2010, 02:18 PM
BAKnBLK2010
1st Gear Member

I had the same problem. Just keep tightening them and eventually you will get them to quit rattling. I took a breaker bar to mine and tightened them until I thought they were gonna break and that fixed the rattles.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:13 AM
Metroshica
2nd Gear Member

Tightened em down again, I went to town on em I tightened em so much, yet still making the rattling noise. Granted, I was using a small crescent wrench I had laying around, nothing heavy duty, but it still shouldn't be making that much noise, any other ideas?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:04 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If you haven't rounded all the corners off the bolts/nuts already, get yourself a decent 1/2" square drive set, preferably one with with six point sockets.

Norm
Old 02-02-2010, 06:52 PM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

I get the same thing until the temp guage is about a quarter warm (half way till full operating temp) and then it goes away. I usually wait it out as I like to warm up mycar anyway.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Metroshica
2nd Gear Member

I've been thinking about it, and I'm thinking it''s not the pipes, but the brackets. I took the rubber brackets all the way off when I put the pipes on, and I'm thinking I didn't tighten them all the way up when I put em back on, especially because some of the bolts are in really awkward positions. Anyway, going to try to tighten them up tonight if I can find the time, and I'll tell you guys what happens.

Quick Reply: Exhaust rattle because of cold weather?