Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need cam evals

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:35 AM
fast64ranchero
1st Gear Member

Default Need cam evals

I got my heads back from the porters, now I need to buy cams so I can install both at the same time, what I would like to know is, what cams you have and how the cams effected the drivablity of the car, did you loose low end? did you gain mid and top but lost lots of low end grunt? give me info so I can make the correct choice the first time... Thx guys for the help
Old 02-01-2010, 10:58 AM
bullitt2086
1st Gear Member

what kinda porting did you have done? light or mild port job how muchbigger are the valves i would recommend a stage 3 vsr cam with the beehive valve springs if you have bigger valves
Old 02-01-2010, 12:09 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

I'm running the comp xfi stage II NSR cams with ported heads. I'm not getting the most of ported heads with these cams. They just aren't aggressive enough. However, the big heads definately DECREASE the velocity of the intake and I lost around 50ft/lbs of torque down low. Despite the low end torque loss, the only place I feel I lost any sort of drivability was between 2000-2300. There's just a big dead spot there. Above ~3000 the car just screams.

I hope you plan on going big with the motor, or putting F/I on the car with the heads, because I'm afraid you may be a little dissappointed with the results given the cost.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:14 PM
fast64ranchero
1st Gear Member

Bullitt, not really looking for a recommendation, but at the same time I don't want cams that will loose too much lowend torque, my heads started off as used MMR stage 2, more porting was done around the chamber and pockets, new 1mm over Ferara valves, car is used as a daily driver, and I would like the car to keep some forum of manners, looking at everything from Fords cams to AMS N grinds to Comp 127300-127500 grinds,, speak up and tell me how your car behaves on the street. I'm hoping for 350whp after these mods w/long tubes, and later I can go FI running low boost and max out the stock block, but I'm not looking for FI cam specs right now I'm asking how your car drives with your aftermarket cams Thanks again.

Last edited by fast64ranchero; 02-01-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:06 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Last edited by hammeron; 02-01-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:37 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

No matter what cam you go with, for a DD, I think you're going to have a more noticable low end torque loss with the ported heads. The heads just kill the intake velocity. I think that if you leave the IMRC plates alone you won't give up nearly as much low end, but you will make a peak hp sacrifice for it. Long tubes will likely get you to 350whp, but won't help the low end at all, especially if you go sans cats.

I just drive around the flat spot in my powerband. I thought about doing gears, but decided to try to drive around it first. I try not to cruise in any gear below ~2500rpm. The pro is that the car is ultra responsive and quick to accellerate. The con is that it feels pretty aggressive for simple around town driving.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:32 PM
fast64ranchero
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by breathegood
No matter what cam you go with, for a DD, I think you're going to have a more noticable low end torque loss with the ported heads. The heads just kill the intake velocity. I think that if you leave the IMRC plates alone you won't give up nearly as much low end, but you will make a peak hp sacrifice for it. Long tubes will likely get you to 350whp, but won't help the low end at all, especially if you go sans cats.

The pro is that the car is ultra responsive and quick to accellerate. The con is that it feels pretty aggressive for simple around town driving.
Thanks, I need to keep the cats as I have to Smog, your cams are on the aggressive side (with low lift) if you look at the duration, although lobe center is wide @115.5 how does you car idle? slight lope, I would think. the more I hear the more I'm leaning to comps 127400/127500, I really like the lopey idle sound of the Ford hot rods....
Old 02-01-2010, 03:56 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

I thought my cams were on the tame side of things because they are an NSR cam. I purchased the 127200 cams on the recommendation of my tuner before I had made the decision to do the heads, otherwise I would have gone with a more aggressive SPR cam. As far as how it sounds, you really have to listen close to even know that it's a cammed car. If you are looking for that real lopey idle, the XFI cams aren't going to do it for you, but I have doubts that the Hot Rods and Thumpers will get you to 350whp without F/I. Long tubes may get you close, but it will be a push as long as you are running cats.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:27 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

Won't cams skrew with smog regs?
Old 02-02-2010, 07:45 AM
fast64ranchero
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BFMacias
Won't cams skrew with smog regs?
yes and no, in my state they do not complete a sniffer test on new cars, they only plug into the computer and check for codes, so I think I'll be fine

Hammeron, why you take your post out? you had the Ford hot rods right?

Quick Reply: Need cam evals