Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

This car enjoys humiliating me...

Old 02-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CSS996
Yeah, easy enough to pull the CAI and sell it or give it to a buddy when you trade the car in.
Not really ... the tuner locks to the vehicle until you return it to stock or pay something like $100 to get it unlocked. FWIW I had similar issues in my 2006 V6 stock and tuned. Forward gears were fine but ended up looking like an *** any time i was trying to reverse, especially up an incline. My parking lot was sloped away from the buildings and my neighbors would always give me dirty looks when I squealed my tires backing into the spot.

If you have the stock airbox and don't have a MIL and the car doesn't buck or stall then I would say you have the stock tune. If you want to be sure you can follow the advice that's been given half a dozen times above and run the car at WOT and see if it goes into the redline and burns the tires into 2nd and/or 3rd gear. Otherwise just fork up the $95 to the stealership and have your peace of mind.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:54 AM
CSS996
2nd Gear Member

I'm not ignoring the advice. I'm just not comfortable driving the car like that on public roads. If that's what it takes to figure it out, then I simply won't figure it out. Not until I can do it safely. But that's pretty much irrelevant. The driving backwards method sounds interesting.

The car runs great, and I can get going in forward gears just fine. So I'm going to say the car is in stock tune, and the throttle response just sucks. I'm sure I'll get better at compensating for the issue as I drive it more.

I'll still probably do a CAI/Tune in the next few months. I hope that helps some, but if not, I can live with it.

I will check the TB and clean it. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Last edited by CSS996; 02-17-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:49 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

When you do buy the cai/tune, make sure you specify to whoever does the tune that you want the throttle response dialed back some. Mine was way to touchy for the streets here, so I had them redo it and now it is perfect. I will use the other for 1/4 use only.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:21 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluovalguy
When you do buy the cai/tune, make sure you specify to whoever does the tune that you want the throttle response dialed back some. Mine was way to touchy for the streets here, so I had them redo it and now it is perfect. I will use the other for 1/4 use only.
This has me thinking. I recently got a new tune for my 4.10 gears. Was at the track last nite and my reaction times were way slow. It felt like the pedal was slow to respond after I floored it. I wonder if brenspeed changed my throttle response from my first tune? Is that possible? I would floor the pedal when the third light came on and I would see way too much green light before I took off. I was thinking, "come on go".....very strange. I bet it has been changed.

patrick
Old 02-22-2010, 09:17 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

I dont know if they would have changed it if you did not ask them to. But I am sure you can get in touch with them and find out. Throttle response was night and day between stock and the first tune. After they adjusted it for me it is just about perfect.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:50 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CSS996
I'm not ignoring the advice. I'm just not comfortable driving the car like that on public roads. If that's what it takes to figure it out, then I simply won't figure it out. Not until I can do it safely. But that's pretty much irrelevant. The driving backwards method sounds interesting.

The car runs great, and I can get going in forward gears just fine. So I'm going to say the car is in stock tune, and the throttle response just sucks. I'm sure I'll get better at compensating for the issue as I drive it more.

I'll still probably do a CAI/Tune in the next few months. I hope that helps some, but if not, I can live with it.

I will check the TB and clean it. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the help, everyone.
The Bama Race Tune increases throttle response.. so what you describe sounds closer to the annoying throttle lag with the stock tune. There is NO delay with the Bama tune.. once that foot hits the pedal.. wheeee!

Have you checked your throttle body?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:44 AM
CSS996
2nd Gear Member

I removed the intake boot after disconnecting the two connectors on it. (Sorry, don't know what they are) If I am limiting my inspection to the forward part of the TB that is visible with the boot off, that looked clean as a whistle.

If there is more to checking it than that, I'd need a bit of instruction. I don't do much wrenching, and when I did it before, the vehicles were late 60's or early 70's vintage. Seems fairly easy to work on so far, if you don't count the insanely hard battery cable removal.

I did not check the operation of the butterfly valves. I think maybe I should have done that. But I am still trying to get comfortable tearing into the car.

My drive today was on snow and ice. I was able to modulate the throttle with acceptable precision. Perhaps the weekend's battery disconnect improved my situation further. But I need to drive the car in dry conditions before that verdict.

Car has 34,000mi. Can the TB get fouled up in that amount of miles?
Old 02-23-2010, 06:29 PM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

I had similar issues with my car, but it also had a low, erratic idle. I cleaned my TB with some cleaner from Advance Auto, worked like a charm.

Eric
Old 02-27-2010, 10:27 PM
lazyboy31614@aol.com
2nd Gear Member

I had 33,000mi on my car when I had to clean mine. I took it completely off and when moving the blades I could feel it stick and than with added force it would move, so I cleaned with tb cleaner and that freed up the blades to move freely.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:17 PM
CSS996
2nd Gear Member

Good to know. Thanks.

I will inspect it more thoroughly, and invest in some cleaner either way.