Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

ARGH Oil on my car!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:11 AM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Default ARGH Oil on my car!

On the drive to work I got stuck behind some jalopy that was spitting out a mist of motor oil. Dont ask me how, but it fine misted my car. Its cold out so at first I thought it was just someone spraying their washers and it froze on my windshield. Then I used the wipers and I was blinded. I made it to a Chevron car wash, but it still left a nasty oil haze all over my car. I had to use it to make it the rest of the way to work. It pained me since I had sworn never to was my car in a brushed car wash

This is the first time this has happened to me. Will a normal spray wash have soap that can cut through this? Im probably going to have to get simple green or something and then have to rewax her. FML.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:26 AM
nite
3rd Gear Member

a touchless wash will get most of it off, but you'll want to follow-up with a thorough hand wash when you get home. shouldn't need anything stronger than normal carwash soap.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

I'd wash, clay bar, wax.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ_68
I'd wash, clay bar, wax.
+1

And it is okay to use the clay bar on the windshield, as well as on the paint.

I would clean the wiper blade inserts with isopropyl alcohol, followed by a good rinse with plain water.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Diluted simple green (5:1 ratio), then wax any areas of paint that the simple green got on. Doesn't hurt paint but will leave a bit of film on the glass until you use windex to get it off.

IPA will dry out the windshield wipers in a heart beat.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:53 PM
10GTSTANG
3rd Gear Member

If you are going to wax it, I'd use Dawn dish washing detergant. That should cut the petroleum and be gentle enough to remove your tainted wax.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:57 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Mothers makes a bug, tar and grease remover that is safe for paint.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the suggestions. After two 10 dollar auto car washes today there is still a hint of it on my car. I think im just going to strip it all off with dawn and take it to get washed and hand waxed after the rain tomorrow. I just dont want the oil residue damaging the paint. I was already planning on hitting the wipers with alcohol.

If i had just left a minute earlier for work...
Old 02-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Diluted simple green (5:1 ratio), then wax any areas of paint that the simple green got on. Doesn't hurt paint but will leave a bit of film on the glass until you use windex to get it off.

IPA will dry out the windshield wipers in a heart beat.
The wipers i have on it are the same from the factory as of july last year. I dont really drive in the rain. I will likely replace them shortly after wiping with IPA.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

I generally clean my wiper blades with 303 Aerospace Protectant every time I wash the car. It has UV 40 which seems to keep them from drying out. They still work great, but my car is garage kept and doesn't sit in the sun much.

Quick Reply: ARGH Oil on my car!