Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Higher Mileage + Blower + Stock Internals = ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:30 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Default Higher Mileage + Blower + Stock Internals = ?

I'm sitting at Jiffy Lube getting my oil changed on friday shooting the stuff with the guy doing the change. He pulls my filter and says my "filter is a little dirty, want me to change it?" I say no because it's all getting pulled out next week because I'm getting a supercharger installed. Without missing a beat...seriously, no thought or hesitation at all...he says, "Wow, she has a lot of miles." That comment hit me like a brick.

FI guys on stock internals with 30k+ on the odometer, how are your cars running? I've got 40K on mine, and my V-3 is going on this week. I bought it with 36k and it was owned by one person who was older...really took care of her, too. What am I looking forward to here? Hopefully lots of fun and no blown rods with my moderate-to-occasionally-have-some-fun driving style. Unfortunately, the ONE thing I overlooked when I was planning my FI setup was the mileage of my car. Didn't take it into consideration because she always feels NEW...and strong...never had any issues (with the exception of header noise, posted earlier). Thanks!
Old 03-07-2010, 11:08 AM
blackmustang285

I put my saleen blower on at just slightly over 40,000 and now I am sitting at almost 90,000 miles with no problems to date. I am not crazy with the car, but I do drive it like I stole it occasionally (every weekend).
Old 03-07-2010, 11:10 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

I'm not in the FI club, so you aren't going to get any real experience out of me however, here's my two cents or so:

1. You're probably going to get some flack on here for even being at Jiffy Lube. I believe the general consensus around here is that quick lube places like that the devil and are to be avoided. I've taken my older cars to Jiffy Lube before so I'm not judging, but personally don't feel comfortable taking the mustang to them. To each their own.

2. If you were talking to a guy at a performance shop and he responded like this, *maybe* you should be worried, but the same logic from #1 applies; I wouldn't trust much of what comes out of their mouths at Jiffy Lube.

3. This is probably your brain's way of making real sure you've made the right decision about all that money I find it hard to believe that there aren't a ton of people out there FI after 40k.

If you're really concerned about it now, I would call up your local mustang shop (maybe where you are planning on having the blower installed?) and just simply ask a few questions. Maybe ask a few places to get a general consensus. Honestly, though, I don't really think you've got anything to worry about.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:31 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

it's all on the driver, if you abuse the crap out of your car 24/7 you may not want to go crazy with the boost. if your car compression tests well, still gets good mpg's and doesn't burn oil or anything I wouldn't worry about it.

not the same car but my buddy boosted his S2000 after 30,000 miles and 15,000 miles later it's still going strong.

biggest thing to remember is that a bad tune will kill your motor just as fast (if not faster) than boost will.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

First of all, 40k miles is NOT high mileage. And providing the previous owner didn't beat the crap out of it, the stock internals are pretty good for up to about 450 RWHP. Just be gentle when being a beast isn't necessary.

WTF with going to Jiffy Lube (or anywhere else) for something as simple and easy as an oil change?
Old 03-07-2010, 04:03 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:58 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Hooyah guys, 'preciate it!
Old 03-07-2010, 05:02 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by BruceH
Don't sweat it. Worst thing that will happen is you blow the motor.
LOL!! good answer Bruce!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:09 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

He said 40k is high mileage? WTF.......... Besides going to iffy lube in the first place that is a major red flag on letting them take care of your car.

Last edited by DreamerGT; 03-07-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:59 PM
nite
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moochman4life
I'm sitting at Jiffy Lube getting my oil changed on friday shooting the stuff with the guy doing the change.
there's your first problem. anything that was discussed during this conversation should never be a forum topic.

Quick Reply: Higher Mileage + Blower + Stock Internals = ?