Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Long tubes install tools needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 04:57 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Default Long tubes install tools needed?

Gonna install my LTs with a mechanic friend of mine at my warehouse next weekend. Better to be out of the sun IMO. I gotta bring all the tools with me so I am hoping not to leave anything out. This is whats on my list so far:

I got jackstands, jack, ramps, basic socket set, basic wrench set, blue locktite, lube spray, hack saw, torque wrench, compressor and air wrench. Following Timmbo's write up I also have 1/2 drive ratchet, brake kleen, emory cloth, and "13mm flex head ratcheting boxed end wrench for the manifold stud nuts." Assorted pieces of wood, carpet for comfort on concrete floor, etc....

Anything I am missing?

thx patrick
Old 03-29-2010, 06:25 AM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

For the header bolts into the block I used a 1/4 drive socket set to take them out. I can't be 100% sure but I think the stock studs are something like a 5.5mm size. Something real small. I also used Stage 8 locking header bolts when I installed my Kooks LT's. As for the hack saw, I don't know why you would need one of them for anything.

You have a matching mid-pipe for the LT's right? Long tubes do not bolt up to the stock length mid-pipe. Another suggestion is to have a bunch of extensions. I used both a 6" & 12" extensions for some things. As for the 1/2" set, make sure you have a big wrench for it since I used it to take out the driver's side bolt in the steering rack and that was a bear to get loose.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:44 AM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

just did this on saturday to my 2010...

5mm socket for the stud bolts. 13mm or 1/2 inch for the header nuts themselves. remove the motor mounts. 18mm bolt for the steering rack, def going to need to muscle the **** out of that bolt. it's long... and its in there with a decent amount of locktite. don't try to slip the headers past anything, they won't fit.

various ratchet extensions and a flex socket extension is mandatory http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rd=flex+socket

also... start early and invite more people. i had three other guys helping me out. it was everyone's first time under a 2010, so it took longer than expected but it was nice having people around to pick up a tool when someone got frustrated haha

Last edited by scapegoat; 03-29-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:25 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scapegoat

also... start early and invite more people. i had three other guys helping me out. it was everyone's first time under a 2010, so it took longer than expected but it was nice having people around to pick up a tool when someone got frustrated haha
I cannot over emphasize how GOOD that advice is. I installed BBK shorties on mine last week and I was so happy I had a couple of friends round. We ended up taking shifts on it because it didn't take long to get totally hacked off with it. How anybody with normal size hands/fingers is expected to do that in one sitting is beyond me.....
Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i didnt have a problom really everything went smooth for me it was also my first time with this car. just take your time enjoy the project. in the end you will be happy u did this yourself and the car will sound sweettt
Old 03-29-2010, 12:36 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

You will need beer.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:01 PM
10GTSTANG
3rd Gear Member

And a cooler full of ice for the beer!
Old 03-30-2010, 12:07 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Good tips, thanks, especially for the specifics. Its nice to know in advance what might be difficult.

I have the flex socket, case of beer, ice, gatoraide, cooler full of ice, plan to start very early, big hands (not good), but friends helping have tiny hands like the BK commercial LOL!! Hack saw because the former owner welded in the xpipe and its the ugliest weld I have ever seen. Must have been a blind welder! LOL

I have the matching h pipe for the LTs too.

Is it worth it to pack up the compressor and air wrench and transport my warehouse for the install?

patrick

Last edited by 808muscle; 03-30-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:10 PM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

I think the only time I used my compressor and air wrench was removing some of the stock header studs. My hands were just getting tired.

I don't see a need for it.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:17 PM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

i didn't use any air tools, but i've got less than 10k on my car. only needed pb blaster on the nuts of the stock hpipe to stock headers

Quick Reply: Long tubes install tools needed?