Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Can a Throttle Body be too clean?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

Default Can a Throttle Body be too clean?

I have a Whipple H.O. and catback exhaust.auto tranny.I have been searching(cause) for a slight idle surge (when the motor is hot) as some of you know.I have taken my intake apart and cleaned my MAF,Throttle body, twice, had a smoke check etc.It is dry as a bone in there now because of the separator.Can a Throttle body be too dry?? Does it need some kind of lube? My separator is mounted on the passenger side strut tower. Can this be too far away from the intake and cause vacuum issues? The vacuum hose on the Whipple enters the blower by the firewall. I have one hose running around the back of the blower and one running across the front to the valve cover. I am still waiting for the tuning shop to get back to me about my fuel trims.Thx.
Attached Thumbnails Can a Throttle Body be too clean?-002.jpg  
Old 03-30-2010, 06:04 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daryl06
My separator is mounted on the passenger side strut tower. Can this be too far away from the intake and cause vacuum issues? The vacuum hose on the Whipple enters the blower by the firewall. I have one hose running around the back of the blower and one running across the front to the valve cover. I am still waiting for the tuning shop to get back to me about my fuel trims.Thx.

Looks like we have close to the same set up for the seperator. Except mine uses even more hose. Eleven feet to be exact. No issues.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:40 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

I have been searching(cause) for a slight idle surge (when the motor is hot)

Daryl06, how slight are we talking? and does this idle
issue happen continuously while stopped, or does it
just happen when coasting to a stop.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:16 PM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

When I start my motor at operating temp it bogs to about 500-600 then surges to 1000.Does this a couple of times then levels out at 800.Only when hot. If I put it in gear at this time it will stall.Brenspeed just gave me a revised tune for my STFT, didn't solve it.Just put in 02 sensors also still no go.Any ideas welcomed.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:35 PM
klr05stang

fuel filter?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:15 PM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

What kind of hose did you use for the oil separator? You need to make sure it's a reinforced hose that won't collapse. Also, have you cleaned the MAF?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:19 PM
raredesign
2nd Gear Member

When I start my motor at operating temp it bogs to about 500-600 then surges to 1000.Does this a couple of times then levels out at 800.
that sounds like a MAF sensor. Does the tune directly support your intake? Was this an emailed custom tune, or have you had it dyno'd? Seeing what your sig is, I would obviously assume dyno'd ;-)...but I had to ask.

...and of course an obvious ask for me since I only recently did this...is it a new/oversized throttle body? did you adjust the voltage of your throttle body? Be sure to get a current reading first so you can go back if need be.

Last edited by raredesign; 03-31-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:33 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

When I start my motor at operating temp it bogs to about 500-600 then surges to 1000.Does this a couple of times then levels out at 800.Only when hot. If I put it in gear at this time it will stall.Brenspeed just gave me a revised tune for my STFT, didn't solve it.Just put in 02 sensors also still no go.Any ideas welcomed.
You know what I think you should do... www.hpranch.com
Old 03-31-2010, 06:58 PM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

New fuel filter. Maf and T/B,oil separator cleaned twice. Aeroquip Push lock hose.Everything has been smoke tested. Custom e-mail tune (Brenspeed) It's been on a Dyno, better tune than the Dynotune I got done up here.Sent Brent pics and they know what(intake) kit I have.The Throttle body was replaced with another(stock)new one about a year ago. They suggested rotating MAF 90 degrees, still no go.How can I check the MAF do I just buy a new one? and the voltage of the Throttle body? I just wrote Brenspeed an update so they might come up with something as well. Thx. guys
Old 03-31-2010, 08:42 PM
raredesign
2nd Gear Member

...and the voltage of the Throttle body?
If you have been running the same throttle body for a while and this just happened out of the blue, then i wouldn't mess with voltage.
but just as an fyi, on the right side there is an adjustment ****/screw that is held in place with a set screw. That is your voltage adjustment screw, which is held in place with a 5mm allen wrench i believe. Turning it out (counter-clockwise) lowers the voltage i believe, and turning it clockwise raises the voltage.
If the voltage is not set exactly, the car will run like crap.
You cannot just put on a TB even if it is stock since the voltages vary from car to car.
The guy's car i bought mine from was running at close to 1.25 volts and mine runs at 1.15.

Measuring the voltage will likely only matter if you knew what it was before hand so you had something to compare it too, but again, if nothing has changed, it isn't like that could have been bumped since your set screw holds it.

I went my the BBK TB installation guide in order to measure the voltage of mine.
if you still want to know, and can't find the instructions, i can type them up or post a link.

Quick Reply: Can a Throttle Body be too clean?