Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

gear installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:19 AM
liberty911
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
+1, even professionally installed gears have issues at times from incorrect backlash or preload.
Then the "professional" didn't know what they were doing or just didn't care IMHO.

Originally Posted by 157db
If you have to ask, dont do it.
Yep.

Originally Posted by NavyStanger
I just had my 3.73s installed professionally, and the guys worked with it for days, and still came out with gear whine.

They're willing to get it right so I'm taking it back in a few weeks,
"Days" to do a gear install? Shouldn't take more than about 3 hours. At least they are willing to try and get it right. There are many gear installers but not as many who know what their actually doing. Don't fear the gear!
Old 05-12-2010, 06:40 PM
NavyStanger

Originally Posted by liberty911
Then the "professional" didn't know what they were doing or just didn't care IMHO.

Yep.

"Days" to do a gear install? Shouldn't take more than about 3 hours. At least they are willing to try and get it right. There are many gear installers but not as many who know what their actually doing. Don't fear the gear!
Well the initial install was only a day, they had to wait to get a tool to measure the depth of the pinion gear. Then they took it all down and reset everything to try to eliminate the whine.

I think the biggest issue is not being able to set the pinon deep enough. With no shim, is there any way to reduce the depth?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:14 PM
NavyStanger

(double post)

Last edited by NavyStanger; 05-12-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: double post
Old 05-13-2010, 12:03 AM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NavyStanger
I just had my 3.73s installed professionally, and the guys worked with it for days, and still came out with gear whine.

They're willing to get it right so I'm taking it back in a few weeks, so we're both doing research to find out what could be causing it, and I've come up with a few things:

-We used royal purple gear oil. While it comes with friction modifier already mixed in, I've read multiple posts about people needing to add an additional 4oz. of ford friction modifier to eliminate whine. I might just go ahead and get motorcraft oil this time.

-The pinion gear depth, the shop got the tool needed to properly measure the depth of the pinion gear face; however, even with no shim installed, the pinon extends too far into the differential housing. How can we move the gear further back and get it in spec? It's not too far out, but is the the cause of the whine above 35mph?
This pinion depth thing seems a little strange, with no shim between the large pinion bearing and pinion head, it still sits too far in according to the proper depth written on the face? Something is wrong with your setup. I know they are pros but even they make mistakes. I would have them make sure the large pinion bearing is seated completely against the pinion head and that the race is fully seated also. Those races are stubborn to install sometimes. And just double check the measure with the depth tool. Also double check the pinion bearing preload, it should be between 20 and 29 inch pounds for new bearings. Give us an update if any more info.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:26 PM
NavyStanger

Originally Posted by brunobluto
This pinion depth thing seems a little strange, with no shim between the large pinion bearing and pinion head, it still sits too far in according to the proper depth written on the face? Something is wrong with your setup. I know they are pros but even they make mistakes. I would have them make sure the large pinion bearing is seated completely against the pinion head and that the race is fully seated also. Those races are stubborn to install sometimes. And just double check the measure with the depth tool. Also double check the pinion bearing preload, it should be between 20 and 29 inch pounds for new bearings. Give us an update if any more info.
Thanks for the tips, I'll look into them. If I had to guess, it's a matter of the pinion bearing not being fully seated.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:31 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

All the tools mention above will be needed. Sometimes a press is not needed for the pinion bearing, depending on how tight it is.

I will be taking my rear assembly apart in the next few weeks and changing gear ratios. I helped my neighbor do his Dana 60 a few weeks ago. He is the mechanic, not I. He has done several rear installs. It will be a learning experience.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

We were doing some research the other night and located an adjustable shim that can be used for gear installs. They are $40 and make the shimming part of the job a brezze. We may use the kit after we pull it apart and look at the shims already in the diff.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:29 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

You cant properly install poorly or improperly manufactured gears.
Junk in, junk out.
No matter how much time you put into the job.
Its not a time consuming process with the proper tools and knowledge.
Evidently the shop you have doing the job thinks time
will fix anything but it does not.
Or the gears they are installing have a big 'M' stamped into them...

Last edited by 157dB; 05-15-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I just checked mine, they are the real FRPP gears.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:09 AM
big marc
1st Gear Member

get them professionally installed.

Quick Reply: gear installation