Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Got Plugs, hope I dont need the TOOL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 11:31 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Default Got Plugs, hope I dont need the TOOL!!!

Have been putting off the dreaded spark plug change but I finally went into Napa and purchased some Autolite HT1 plugs for only $110.75. Was talking with the clerk and mentioned how I wanted to change them before they became too difficult to remove. He mentioned that they carry the broken plug removal kit. I looked at it............only $130.00 Needless to say I will be taking my time (following the tsb) getting it done so I dont have to waste money on that kit!!! Nice that they carry it, but scary that they sell enough of them on Maui to actually stock it on the shelf!!!

Plugs come gapped at .045 and looking at them they dont look like traditional plugs with the hook end. Is that the proper gap?

patrick
Old 05-20-2010, 01:06 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I think thats about right for the stock gap, though for mine it's .032 because of the vortech.. gonna do mine on the new motor (07) but it only has about 6600 miles on it, so I should be safe.. somewhat.

I have that Lisle broken spark plug tool too lol got it for $89 on Ebay... just in case.

Good luck on the removal!

Old 05-20-2010, 02:33 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Thanks man. Gonna do the cams first, hopefully those go in with no issues, then the following weekend, do the plugs. I like to do one project at a time.

patrick
Old 05-20-2010, 04:36 AM
Burrosito
2nd Gear Member

Good luck on the plug change man. I will be doing mine here soon after I purchase the new plugs. I've got 50k on the dial.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:58 AM
07 GT/CS
1st Gear Member

Just changed my plugs 2 days ago at 50100 miles. I followed the TSB with one variance. I broke the plugs loose that 1/8ish turn and sprayed the PB Blaster in there, I then let it soak for about 2 hours and then took them out. The forward plug on the passenger side was the biggest pain in the butt. None of them broke off though so it was a good day. After that took her for a ride down the interstate to burn all the penetrating oil out of my cylinders. I'll smoke like heck the first minute or so, but that's normal so no worries.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:33 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Thanks man. Gonna do the cams first, hopefully those go in with no issues, then the following weekend, do the plugs. I like to do one project at a time.

patrick
noice.. you need some cams to compliment the gains with the long tubes.

I kinda want to do cams too this summer and leave the Vortech for next year when I can get intercooled. Kinda having some "blown motor" hangover lol.. been without my car for so long, I just want my car running again.. you know?lol

I did a few cams on some modular motors but not with the VVT.. shouldn't be any different, just be careful not to damage the phasers...
Old 05-20-2010, 10:27 PM
marlinmon07
2nd Gear Member

I just replaced mine for the first time at 71k. Came out fine, not much carbon build up on the plugs at all. I did seafoam the engine before the plug pull though. Not sure if that helped or not... Be sure and use deep creep or PB buster or something
Old 05-21-2010, 12:47 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
noice.. you need some cams to compliment the gains with the long tubes.

I kinda want to do cams too this summer and leave the Vortech for next year when I can get intercooled. Kinda having some "blown motor" hangover lol.. been without my car for so long, I just want my car running again.. you know?lol

I did a few cams on some modular motors but not with the VVT.. shouldn't be any different, just be careful not to damage the phasers...
We are gonna take it real slow and easy..........like the song! LOL

My buddy is very experienced at cam swaps even tried to convice me to do a big cam with a spring change. I expained no need, detroit rockers are everything I am looking for. Gonna be a fun weekend.

Just downloaded the new tune into the SCT, all is ready to go, just need to buy gatoraide! LOL

patrick
Old 05-21-2010, 12:55 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
We are gonna take it real slow and easy..........like the song! LOL

My buddy is very experienced at cam swaps even tried to convice me to do a big cam with a spring change. I expained no need, detroit rockers are everything I am looking for. Gonna be a fun weekend.

Just downloaded the new tune into the SCT, all is ready to go, just need to buy gatoraide! LOL

patrick
as long as you're careful you should be okay imo.

those new detroit rocker cams look like they gain alot in the upper rpm judging from their videos... should be a great addition to your set up!
Old 05-21-2010, 03:10 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Thats what I am hoping for. Should improve my track times by a couple of tenths would be my guess. Well I at least hope so. LOL

patrick

Quick Reply: Got Plugs, hope I dont need the TOOL!!!