Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2006 GT 4.10 GEARS

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 03:20 PM
nola504boy
2nd Gear Member

im new also and these guys SUCK on this forum!!!

J/K these guys are great just give everyone sometime.all my post have had some good replys.Love this forum.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:02 AM
jjbratka75

thanks for all the replies.
ok ill do my best to answer these questions.

Ihave the trinity tuner and using the k & n firm tune. the shifting is fine and feels smooth and im happy with it. as far as the timing. after he put the throttle body on and tune it the car starts up fine and idles fine as it did before any of the work so the weak spot or whatever its called when it seemed like it was going to stall but then caught itself is gone and its starting and idling fine.

I am using 93 octane now and i believe that tune calls for the 91 but the place i go has 87 and 93 so i figured i cant go wrong with better fuel right??

now i have a little humming whistle or whatever its called when im coasting along at 40+ mph. Ive read alot on this and some say its normal and someone said its been over 15000 miles and still doing it and fine and others say its not good. some say the gears have been pulled out and put back on and still does it. i really dont know what to think since the car is doing great and the tuner timed me at 0-60 in 4.04 yesterday. i did it on my own not at a track so im sure the timing is off a little but if its correct or even close im content with that time. i havent timed 1/4 mile because i had no opportunity. i was going to take the car to a different place and have them test drive and get a 2nd opinion. someone online also said just turn the radio on so you dont hear it. it does not sound normal and its annoying. is it something i need to address or something i need to live with and accept as the price we pay for performance as someone else has stated.

im glad to have replies and hope to get some information and hopefully i gave the correct info to get responses. i have never made any modifications like this to a car so i could be told just about anything by a mechanic and i would believe it so thats why i came to this forum to get honest info from people that learned and know from a neutral experienced point of view.

thanks!
throttle body seems to be dumping more air into the car and it sounds like it is getting more air its a deeper sound and more throaty but not really louder. im not lookign to go obnoxiously loud so i wont be doing headers or taking the cats off if thats going to make it louder. i just wanted to add some power and was told gears are the way to go.

thanks everyone again.
jb
Old 05-26-2010, 07:25 AM
07 GT/CS
1st Gear Member

Nine Times out of ten it is due to the ring and pinion being installed just a little off. Whether it be the pinion bearing preload or the backlash set a little off. If it's only on deceleration then it's definitely your pinion bearing. and yes you'll want to have it looked at. In my old ‘99 F150 I had catastrophic bearing pinion bearing failure after a gear install and it toasted the rear-end (pinion bearing disintegrated into a million pieces). 2300 dollars later I had a new but used rear-end. So definitely don't just put it off as normal.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Originally Posted by jjbratka75
Hi,
I just joined this site and was able to post one thread and noone has responded but i had 48 views. I cant find where to post a new thread again. This site is not user friendly at all.

Ive had a 2006 GT silver with black leather interior. K & N intake, BBK throttle body and 4.10 gears. Love the car and always want to drive!. 93 octane always and huge difference from 87 and 91.

I was hoping to get some questions answered on this site but since i cant post any threads I guess im out of luck. anyone figure out how to do it yet?

Thanks!
john
Hi John, Welcome to MF.

Double check that intake and make sure all connections are sealed and that air is not sneaking in. I've got the SCT tuner so I'm not familiar with trinity sorry. I do have a Steeda intake and 4.10's and there is a slight noise from both, but nothing I can distinguish over the normal tire and outside air noises from regular driving.

I get more noise from the two-piece drive shaft when I'm shifting gears.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:19 AM
jjbratka75

Thumbs up

thanks for the info!

i can check the intake but the sound is coming from the rear of the car and sounds like a humming or whistling sound almost like when the seal on a window isnt right or something. its definitely not a normal sound and its not all the time. it wasnt making that sound before i had the gears installed.

i definitely dont want the back end to explode all over the highway thats for sure. i think ill take it to a different place to get an opinion from someone who didnt do the work. i think you are right something needs to be fixed.

the trinity tuner has a tune for the k & N intake and it just had to be tuned for the gears and all so thats fine. the car is great. it shifts awesome runs well idles and starts up well and sounds great except for that humming sound in the rear of the car. its annoying too and if it can do damage it has to be fixed. i read onhere someplace someone said when youchange out your gears they should make absolutely not sound different from what it used to sound like but im worried about damage.

thanks for the info!
jb
Old 05-26-2010, 12:04 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Noise is prolly the rear end. If you plan to switch to 4.10 gears then do it sooner than later.

patrick
Old 05-26-2010, 04:29 PM
jjbratka75

[QUOTE=07 GT/CS;7023891]Nine Times out of ten it is due to the ring and pinion being installed just a little off. Whether it be the pinion bearing preload or the backlash set a little off. If it's only on deceleration then it's definitely your pinion bearing. and yes you'll want to have it looked at. In my old ‘99 F150 I had catastrophic bearing pinion bearing failure after a gear install and it toasted the rear-end (pinion bearing disintegrated into a million pieces). 2300 dollars later I had a new but used rear-end. So definitely don't just put it off as norma

The guy told me yesterday It will worlk itslef out. I called a local place with awesome rep. He does supercharge and dyno and so forth lots of good recommendations. He was going to look at it tomorrow and let me know the problem and if and howmuch to fix.I sent a message to the guy who did the work saying"""" the car is still whistling and its gettign worse and the tuner and speedometer say I'm going 70 and my gps says 55 so somethiglng not right should I take it to a place to go on a dyno for some fine tuning andmaybe the gears are off and have to be reset?""""He replied.... Plan on dropping it off for a whole day... Its going in tomorrow. I hope he realized what he needs to do and this can be fixed. No wonder I did 0-60 in 4.04 lol I thought something was weird there!!! Gps doesn't lie! Thanks for the advise! Ill keep u posted. Jb
Old 05-26-2010, 04:40 PM
jjbratka75

Originally Posted by nola504boy
im new also and these guys SUCK on this forum!!!

J/K these guys are great just give everyone sometime.all my post have had some good replys.Love this forum.
Oh and I alsop figured I might as well give the original guy a chance to take a day and fix his work instead of paying someone else to do it. A 2nd chance and if its not perfect then ill go to the guywith the dyno. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2010, 06:51 AM
07 GT/CS
1st Gear Member

Absolutely, if he can fix it and get it working how you want it then all is good. And some mechanics aren't trying to be shady when it comes to their work, they're just overconfident in their abilities so they have trouble fathoming the fact they may have messed us. But, best of luck and hope they can get the kinks out.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:46 AM
jjbratka75

hey thanks.
i dropped it off today and he said he is going to have to take it all apart and reshim it and he thought it would have set itself in by now so i think he knows it was a bad install and something is wrong and hes trying to make it seem like its nothing much but it really is. its fine as long as he knows what the problem is and how to fix it and its fixed right ill be ok. my girl has a 2005 V6 and she folllowed me there to bring me home. on the highway i heard her car making the same noise but it was very very low like its a normal sound the car makes and she has made no mods completely stock so mine was making he noise much louder than hers so thats definitely an issue. he will fix it and at least it saves me from paying someone else. if its not good this time ill go to someone else and get an opinion. ive put maybe 50-100 miles on the car so i hope theres no damage yet. i did drive it hard on a couple accelerations maybe 5 or so and hopefully that didnt do damage because he told me theres no breakin period to just go and drive it.

thakns for the help!

Quick Reply: 2006 GT 4.10 GEARS