Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Starting RPM.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:36 PM
efbc

Originally Posted by baddog671
My 06 goes to 1500rpm, and then slowly drops to 800rpm.

Efcb, que ciudad de Espana tu vives?
En Santander, Cantabria BaDDog.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

As said before this is normal.

I have a C&L Racer CAI and tune from Brenspeed.
I didn't notice this until after the install and tune (even though it already did this).

I called Brenspeed worried that something was wrong with the tune or perhaps I had a vacuum leak or something with my CAI. ( I had already checked to make sure the throttle body was clean when I installed the CAI)

They along with many others confirmed that the 2k RPM startup IS normal. Especially when the engine is cold.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:14 PM
efbc

Hello, Blacksmoke,,
I do not have any tune installed, the original firmware.
I am very precupado, because in addition I have noticed, that they jump the ventilators before coming to the temperature of service.
Also now, free very much steam for the exhaust, and also condensation.
A Greeting.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:21 PM
efbc

They have commented to me, that possibly the car should need a calibration, but not as to do this from Spain.
Regards.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Is the car pure stock form or does it have ANY modifications?

I still say this is normal. As I said before... my car did this BEFORE my CAI/Tune in stock form when the engine was cold. I just did not notice it.

The high RPM is actually the engine trying to warm itself.

Who exactly are you talking to that is telling you the car needs calibration? Is this a Ford Dealership?

I really really think this is normal engine behavior.
If you are still worried about it I would call a Ford dealership...maybe even more than one if you are really afraid, and talk to them.

But my car does the exact same thing.
I am not sure why you are so worried about it or what about it scares you.

(Edit: Just read about your condensation issue)

Not too sure about the steam or condensation you are talking about. The issue of this and the RPM start could be two separate things.

(The RPM start could be normal engine behavior as I stated and the condensation/smoke be an issue within itself)

OR if your idle is really going up and down erratically alot then it may not be normal engine behavior and very well be an issue.

Where is the condensation occurring on your car?
Is it just steam from your tailpipes on a cold morning or are we talking about this happening in all weather?

You may just want to take your car to the dealership or shop and have them check it over.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 06-08-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Hysteric
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I still say this is normal. As I said before... my car did this BEFORE my CAI/Tune in stock form when the engine was cold. I just did not notice it.

The high RPM is actually the engine trying to warm itself.
I agree. My F-150 starts at 1500-1750 RPM and thats with intake tune and exhaust. My neighbors dont like it im sure, but I 100% agree this is normal operation for the motor. Hell, my truck won't even go into overdrive until the temperature gauge has moved up! Don't worry, its not a defect. And as for condensation, I didn't read the entire post, but that is a normal by-product of combustion, and all cars do it. (Some just more than others)
Old 06-08-2010, 04:59 PM
efbc

Hello, Blacksmoke.

It calms me that you say to me, that your car behaves equally. The only modification is Filter K&N, I have in wait a Ford Raccing Throttle 62 mm. but in this moment is install the original 55MM Throttle.

I cannot go to ford's Dealer, since two times have said to me, Ford Mustang does not have resources for support in Spain.

Yes, it is possible that the RPM and the condensation are two separated things. But every start at the same time, after disconnecting the battery and cleaning the Throttle.

The condensation is only in the driver exhaust, During the whole day, no only in the morning, when the car is cold, at any hour to park the car and you see not very big water puddle, below the exhaus.
Thank you for your impressions.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

The start up idle:2000 Rpm is a Ford stock cold start calibration.I'm thinking that since yours started doing this after you cleaned your throttle body that it wasn't running right prior to cleaning the T/B.Your idle does exactly what mine used to do before I got an aftermarket tune. As for condensation could be your really rich in one bank,could be your cat is failing. If your cat is plugged it's not allowing the pooled condensation to burn off. Maybe a crack in your head gasket allowing coolant to leak in.Check your coolant level if it's fine maybe get an e-mail tune from a good established tuning shop in the U.S. Your K+N filter could be causing your PCM to search for a proper idle speed hence the minor idle surge.Maybe put your stock filter back in and see what happens. Just throwing stuff out there for you.Hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:48 AM
efbc

Thank you very much Daryl06 for you response.

I have put special attention, in the condensation, is only water.
Checked constant the liquid refrigeration, it has not lost.
I do not have the filter of original air, since the car I come from USA with the K&N.
I have sent some e-mail, to different sites requested custom tune, nobody answers.
Would be grateful indicate directions to me where they can make me a custom tune.
Yes, your post is of great help.
Thank you, very much again.

Last edited by efbc; 06-09-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:38 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by efbc
En Santander, Cantabria BaDDog.
Estare visitando Espana el 20 de junio al primero de agosto. Venga a Alicante y lo examinare para ti

Quick Reply: Starting RPM.