Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

So...Detroit Rockers or Hot Rods?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Question So...Detroit Rockers or Hot Rods?

Debating on which ones I will get.

I am having the cams installed at a shop in Arlington along with some 4.10's.
They have installed Hot Rod cams many times but have never installed Detroit Rockers.

I told them... from what I understand they install the same way.

I am wanting to get a custom tune from them.
I am wondering if they will be able to tune the Detroit Rockers though.

What are the advantages, if any.. of the Detroit Rockers over the Hot Rods?
Do they really give more gains, drive more like stock and offer better low RPM drivability than the Hot Rods, and perform better on the low end torque subject?

If there is NO difference then why not just go with the Hot Rods since this place is used to them? But if there really is a difference then I need to find out if the Detroit Rockers will be easily tuned by these guys.

Comments? Opinions? Suggestions?

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 06-10-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:30 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Either cam is a winner imo. Why pay for an custom tune if you don't have too? Cam install is the same.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I am hearing custom tunes are always better and squeeze out more hp from alot of people around here.

Me personally? I can't say because I have no idea true or not.

Looking for more people to chime in on that too.

Crap I just thought of something else!
I heard when you install gears you are supposed to be easy on them for a break in period.
How are they supposed to put my car on a dyno for a custom tune without going hard on the new gears?

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 06-10-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:02 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

No break in period with ford racing gears, so no worries! Custom dyno tune is only as good as the tuner. Is your guy as good as brenspeed?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I was about to order Hot Rods when all the hubbub about the Detroit Rockers came out. I still haven't seen any proof that they make more power, and there are people with Hot Rods on here that have great driveability and no noticeable loss in the low end. I have Free Tunes for Life from Bama and it seems that Chris Rose writes a great tune for the Hot rods, but then again if the Rockers really make more power and are $100 cheaper, I want to take advantage of that. Decisions, Decisions........
Old 06-11-2010, 05:04 AM
jz
3rd Gear Member

From my experience gathered from calling 3 different dyno locations around here, they said not to worry about a custom tune until I have FI of some sort. I figure if three different businesses are going to tell me not to bring my car to them and spend my money it has to be true.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:49 PM
MustangRacing4.6ltr
Kenmore Fan

i was in the same boat as you OP ,shoot i damn near had those hot rods on order until someone mentioned these rockers ...then the comparisons began......and by all the research and talking to people , i decided to with new cam...i also know comp makes good cams so i figured since they are behind it , to hell with it , ill just go with the rockers.....so far these cams have been excellent for me , for driveablity noticeable gain . etc. and the lopey sound! unfortunately, now im probably biased , but this is from someone who just had these installed , but was in your position a couple weeks back!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:05 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

Blacksmoke dont worry about break in period with gears. There is none someone might chime in and say u need to heat treat the gears but that is also unnecessary. I just had my detroit rocker cams installed and i am satisfied with them but im having dave get me a new tune with better low end torque. I have no issues but it seems my first gears is a bit doggish. It could be b/c of the new tires i have 255 45 18. Not really sure. Unfortunately my tune probably wont arrive until next week. And im going out of state for work on sunday and will be gone for three weeks. I have H pipe and flowmasters to go with the cams which make them sound sick. I have had many compliments thus far. Lets us know what u decide.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I talked to the shop that is going to do the install. Very nice helpful.
I have a few friends here in town that have gone there for tunes and a couple of guys here have recommended them to me.

I spoke to them about my issues.
The gentlemen on the phone told me he has not had any personal experience with the Detroit Rockers. He did say he spoke with someone that had heard them and that they did not like the sound quite as much as the Hot Rods. But he was also careful to make sure to tell me that this was just one person's opinion, and that it was not his personally.

He did tell me that they have installed a BUNCH of Hot Rod cams on cars and tuned them and he felt they had really perfected doing it. He said he really liked the power increase the Hot Rods gave and that they did not lose low end torque. (basically the same thing as what Brenspeed claims with the Detroit Rockers).

He told me that when they install the cams that the tune from them was free.
So I do not have to worry about paying for the tune either way I go.
He also said they would make a backup of the tune and install a backup on my SCT tuner.

What I want to know is this...where are the comparisons to show which cam gives more power if one does indeed do so?
And what is it about the cam that gives one more power than the other one? If one gives more power.... THEY MUST be different in some sort of way. So how are they different?

What are the HP gain claims by both of the makers? Can anyone share that with me?

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 06-11-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Krazyray
1st Gear Member

Hey blacksmoke how much are they charging you for the install for the gears and cam?

Quick Reply: So...Detroit Rockers or Hot Rods?