Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Stepping into the 3v crowd.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 12:50 AM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Default Stepping into the 3v crowd.

Hey all

Just bought me a 05 Mustang GT and got rid of the 2v, One of my favorite decisions that I made lol. I must say the 3v is a great ride, the comfort level is fantastic as well. I will be doing some bolt ons and cams then a blower down the road, I was wondering how does everyone like there bolt ons ? As far as performance response via CAI/Tuners, TB (are they worth it ?), Axel Back, Gears (I know everyone loves gears). What is the typical gains and how does the 3v pull after wards ? Read the stickies and used the search but I want some fresh insight, Any would be awesome. Here is a link announcing my departure from the New Edge world (Pics included)......

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...ye-bye-2v.html
Old 07-12-2010, 11:45 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Congratulations to you, Mr Graystang. You will find there are so many different options out there for you to choose from for this new car. It is an excellent platform from which to build upon.

Take my advice...the very first mod you need to make is a cold air intake and tune. Not a canned tune, but one from Tillman, Brenspeed, or Bama. You will NOT BELIEVE the difference in your car!!

I have done a few little things to my gt, nothing mega major, but I am happy with the results. I have a JLT cai, tunes from Bama, upgraded slotted and dimpled rotors, 3.73 gears, and Borla catbacks. In the future I am toying with the idea of Hotrod FRPP cams.

Keep us informed of your progress!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum. There's a lot of great info here so research before you buy. Right off the bat, let me mention that the stock TB can handle as much and then some as far as supplying air. Only if you're heavily modified internally or BIG FI do you need an aftermarket TB. Other than that, the S197 engines welcome most bolt-ons.

The CAI & custom tune combo that Saddleup mentioned is typically good for about 25 RWHP gain. After that, it's nickle and dime stuff unless you go FI or add nitrous. Cams and LT's also do well as a combo with a good tune, adding about another 20 or so RWHP. And don't forget gears and some of the other mods to free-up existing power (UDP's, aluminum DS, other rotational mass loss).
Old 07-12-2010, 12:24 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

Yep, CAI/Tune + gears + short throw shifter, loved my O/R x pipes A lot of people are big on long tubes. Ulitmately it seems to end up with FI
Old 07-12-2010, 04:28 PM
rydeordie
3rd Gear Member

Welcome and enjoy spending your money on your new car. LOL!!!!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Thanks all , I definitely love spending my money on my cars if anything else lol. I am for sure gonna go with a CAI+tune, I was thinking either a Ford Racing CAI or JLT with a tuner + tune from BAMA. 3.73's are a must down the road along with Hot Rod Cams and a nice sounding axel back. I plan to add that within the year , later on I will work on the suspension, LT headers and maybe order a E-force blower (nice clean look and I read alot of good reviews on it). SaddleUp I agree the aftermarket is like a ocean compared to the 2V market, Thats one reason why I chose this car (I love options lol). Nuke thanks for the info on the TB, I will put the money some where else for better use. I will keep you guys up dated , I will be doing some minor Cos upgrades here with in a month or two followed by the CAI/Tuner combo. Thanks once again guys....
Old 07-13-2010, 12:00 PM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

3.73's=win, FRPP intake works good, Breenspeed tune worked fine on mine.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:51 PM
MadMoose
2nd Gear Member

welcome to the 3v crew

save yourself the trouble and get the supercharger first
Old 07-13-2010, 09:01 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

With longtubes and offroad pipe, cai/ brenspeed tune/ and UD pulleys my car feels just as fast as it did when I was blown at 430rwhp with a paxton 2200. Except I have the badass sound of longtubes now. I really do miss the sound of those bypass valves in between shifts tho...
Old 07-13-2010, 09:16 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

don't fear the gear. i run 4.56's, best move i ever made. two sets of tires, one for the trac with skinnies, and a taller set for the street (28.5) in the rear and it's not a lot different than running a set of 4.10's with stock size tires.

now i'll go back to my side of town

Quick Reply: Stepping into the 3v crowd.