Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Intake and Tuner question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Default Intake and Tuner question...

Hey folks. My 'stang came with a Spectre CAI when I purchased her. She is still running the stock tune. I just upgraded the sound with a set of axel back Pypes Violators. I am to the point where I want to get an SCT tuner from either AM/Bama or Brenspeed.

Here is a pic of the intake on her now:

Here is my question... Will the Spectre intake work well with a tune from either vendor or will my money be better spent getting a CAI & Tuner combo like the JLT intake and X3?

Thanks,
Don
Old 07-12-2010, 09:16 PM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

THROW THAT INTAKE AWAY! Thats not doing you any good. Get a JLT, C&L, Steeda or FRPP intake. Any intake that requires a tune is the only ones you will gain power from.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Mpov
1st Gear Member

+1 on that. Go with a package. JLT/tuner package from Brenspeed or American Muscle are very popular.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Although you'll gain a bit more power with a tune-required intake, a non-tune required CAI WITH a good custom tune will still provide respectable power gains.

I suspect that Brenspeed and AM can tell you that they can tune for that intake. If not, then you should replace it. Otherwise, you can probably expect 20 RWHP or more with a good tune for it. A tune-required CAI will likely add a few more RWHP.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:04 AM
PistolPez73
2nd Gear Member

That intake tube looks like AC ducting welded together or something. Definitely replace it!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:25 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PistolPez73
That intake tube looks like AC ducting welded together or something. Definitely replace it!
LOL... After reading your post, all I see is the exhaust stack off the top of my water heater now... Thanks...

Well, I called AM and spoke with Ryan. He said he could tune for the Spectre intake, but that I could see better gains with a tuned intake. So in a nutshell, I won't have to replace the CAI unless I want to pickup a few more ponies, but shell out an extra $300 to do so. Plus the box is smaller and I can hide the package easier from the misses than a big ole' intake box...

Just waiting on an email back from Brenspeed and then I'll have to decide which company to buy the tuner from...

Don
Old 07-13-2010, 10:44 AM
PistolPez73
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
LOL... After reading your post, all I see is the exhaust stack off the top of my water heater now... Thanks...

Well, I called AM and spoke with Ryan. He said he could tune for the Spectre intake, but that I could see better gains with a tuned intake. So in a nutshell, I won't have to replace the CAI unless I want to pickup a few more ponies, but shell out an extra $300 to do so. Plus the box is smaller and I can hide the package easier from the misses than a big ole' intake box...

Just waiting on an email back from Brenspeed and then I'll have to decide which company to buy the tuner from...

Don
My vote is for Brenspeed.....but then again I'm partial. They take care of their customers above and beyond. I've made the 16 hour round trip twice just to have them work on my stang!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:55 AM
T.Wayne
1st Gear Member

+1 Brespeed but all fairness AM/Bama tunes are good. If its me Brenspeed the staff is looking out for you and your ride as if they are the title holder.

Does your HVAC guy make that duct work for a F150?? Looks very industrial.

Just being a DICK

TW
Old 07-13-2010, 03:50 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Ok... got a response back from Brenspeed... According to Chandler there, they do not have any tuning data for a Spectre HVAC, er, Cold Air Intake...

That said he recommended the JLT combo. That starts at $554. I don't really like the look of the JLT setup. I prefer the look of the BBK Cast Aluminum setup and it's only $599. The Steeda setup has a high temp plastic elbow that looks nice, costs $624, but I'm worried about the plastic... I know if there was a real problem, people would be in arms about how craptastic it is, but I haven't seen any complaints...

Soooooo. Opinions please.

My choices are:
1) get the tuner from AM/Bama or Brenspeed and keep the HVAC ducting. Total cost is $379.
2) get the CAI/Tuner combo from Brenspeed with the JLT setup. Total cost is $554.
3) go all out and get the Steeda Combo. Total is $624.

Cost is an issue as I can order the tuner today but have to wait 2 weeks for the Steeda combo if I go that route. And I'm not so sure the Steeda would give me that many more HP over the Spectre CAI I have now.

Thanks folks.

Let the flames begin...

Don
Old 07-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

All of the tune required CAI's are equivalent in performance. It's the tune that's the majority power adder (about 80% tune, 20% CAI). Both Brenspeed and AM write quality tunes. Pick a combo that suits your eyes and wallet.

Quick Reply: Intake and Tuner question...