Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

winter...

Old 08-25-2010, 01:33 PM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

Default winter...

so how are you guys that DD your mustang deal with the winter?

I'm considering purchasing a second vehicle that is AWD/4WD as a DD/winter car and save the stang for nice days.

however, i'm also looking at grabbing a set of blizzaks for the stock 19" rims and grabbing some new, wider, rims and tires for the warmer months.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:55 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I live in Mi. and use 4wd in winter. Mustang stays covered in Garage.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Snow tires on the stockers and goes though anything.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:16 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I live in Texas, it does not snow down here, ever! Neeyah! Neeyah!

Well, actually,m this past winter was damn cold, and for once since 7 or 8 years, it iced and snowed.

I had not bought my 'Stang yet, but I drove a Toyota Rav4 (I know, girly ricer) with all weather radials and it actually worked okay. No sliding or any of that crap.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I have a beater 4x4 toyota pickup for a daily driver...and my Mustangs NEVER go out in anything but sunshine...as far as winter...even if you take care and drive well with great tires etc..there is always some moron that will probably run into your Mustang...I just could never chance it!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:37 AM
HyperSonic

Originally Posted by Lifter583
.even if you take care and drive well with great tires etc..there is always some moron that will probably run into your Mustang...I just could never chance it!
Same here. When I had my first GT, I thought winter driving was just a matter of good sense and driving slow. Was I wrong! My old 5.0 was all over the road in less than a quarter inch of snow, at about 5 miles an hour. I pushed it back into the garage and left it there for the rest of the winter. And I saw too many accidents under those conditions where someone comes speeding around a turn and smashes into an innocent, unsuspecting driver who's just sitting there at the red light.

Not to mention all the rock salt that they lay down up here in the north east whenever the weather turns cold. It's no surprise that you don't see many vintage cars on the road daily here. They dissolve away.

There used to be a dealer who specialized in collector-type cars upstate, and if you bought a car from him he'd throw in a beater so you'd have something to drive in the winter.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:12 PM
senter75

I live in Northern Colorado and my '05 is my only car. I just throw a 60 lb sand bag in the trunk, turn off traction control, and take it somewhat easy. I get around just as good as anyone else. I'd buy a beater if I had to go up and down hills or something, but I deal with mostly flat land.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

My first Mustang I had was a 99 GT and I used it as a DD, but I tell ya what, winter was scary. I'd be driving super easy and lose traction, start going sideways, ect ect. And that was stock!

My current 06 GT gets to thankfull stay in the garage during bad months and I drive the F150 4x4. If my stock 99 GT was bad in the snow, I'd be scared as hell to take the modified S197 out in it. lol
Old 08-26-2010, 04:22 PM
yank194
1st Gear Member

I live in DE and usually the mustang can handle the little snow. However, this past winter was brutal and I had to get my fiance to take me to the train station until the snow melted. I am having 4.10s installed tomorrow, so I am assuming I will have even less traction. Might have to look into winter tires.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Lots of threads on this topic and about just as many opinions. Mine? After 34 yeras of northern winter driving, the Stang is one of the worst vehicles I've ever driven in the snow. Can it be made tolerable? Sure, with about $500 worth of dedicated winter tires on a dedicated set of wheels and about 150-200lbs of sand in the trunk. But then you'll be puckering your butthole every time you or someone else begins to lose it. And we always can give a "We told you so" when you tell us how sad you are that your Stang is broken... Like we hear EVERY winter from a few forum members.

If you didn't notice, my vote is to garage it and get a beater.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: winter...