Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

winter...

Old 08-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I did the whole snow tires on stock 17's for a few years. But it got old, and I hated seeing all the salt on the car, and trying to still keep it show car quality.

I got smart, sold the wheel/tire combo for 500, and bought a 500 dollar beater!
That beater had 129k when I got it, 155k now, and still runs like a champ, and the AC still cold as day 1. 94 Accord FTW! Btw, I do a snow tire swap on that car in the winter. 90 mile round trip to work in a snow storm around Chicago can really suck!
Old 08-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Descena

Originally Posted by senter75
I live in Northern Colorado and my '05 is my only car. I just throw a 60 lb sand bag in the trunk, turn off traction control, and take it somewhat easy. I get around just as good as anyone else. I'd buy a beater if I had to go up and down hills or something, but I deal with mostly flat land.
I learned after I had to use my GT. No matter what, the Stang will be all over the road. It's just not made for the Winter. I had it under the cover as much as I could [as I have no garage here]. But in the winter, load the trunk up with heavy stuff and have full winter tires. I always parked on hills too so the car could just roll back and I'd get enough speed so it wouldn't be stuck. That, and keep TCS off. As far as the salt goes, I rinse the car [wash when I can in the winter] every single weekend. And I make sure I get everywhere. And then the first moment the sun comes out, I scrub that car down. I noticed this past winter the snow being brought into the car was ruining the floor mats, so putting plastic ones over it will help as well.