Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help Me COMPLETELY Customize My Mustang!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 06:41 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Guys.

QUIT BUSTING UP NEW COMERS ON THE IDEA THAT THEY'RE TROLLERS!!!!!

You have to wait until they can prove themselves first.
Moderators will weed out the real trolls/spammers.

pujolsfan02, you'll have to excuse some members here, we've been bombarded by a lot of trolls lately.
As far as modding your car, there are more than one combo so it's hard to give you a straight shot.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:44 PM
pujolsfan02

pascal, Thanks man! ok well since i want to go in with an idea of what i want, i need some suspension help. I was thinking bags because they are height adjustable quickly so i can go above speed bumps without a problem.. But, how do they perform at high speeds and cornering? I heard air ride technologies was pretty good, but i wanted some opinions on what would be best. thank you everyone!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:53 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

for a good suspensions set up visit the s197 suspension section, look around for a user named sam strano. hes a pro, literally. hell give you all you need. but IMO a good shock/strut with nice springs, sway bars, cc bolts or plates, bushings all around, panhard bar and brace, then a k member brace with torque limiters is pretty much the ultimate "user" friendly combo. thats a pretty pricey and aggresive take on a redo on the suspension. remember with all that tires do most of the work. they connect the car to the road. again im just saying this might be a huge overkill for what your looking at.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:08 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by pujolsfan02
pascal, Thanks man! ok well since i want to go in with an idea of what i want, i need some suspension help. I was thinking bags because they are height adjustable quickly so i can go above speed bumps without a problem.. But, how do they perform at high speeds and cornering? I heard air ride technologies was pretty good, but i wanted some opinions on what would be best. thank you everyone!
Be careful of what you hear...
You don't see air bags on high luxury cars or on a race track, so there are reasons for that.
My guess is that it's not that reliable yet and in racing, how can you adjust rebound etc... Though.
There is more to a damper to bouncing back... it's HOW it bounces back and compresses.
Best shock combo on these cars is Koni with middle range lowering springs.
As far as speed bumps, you'll have to endure those I'm afraid...
Old 09-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

mustang shop it is!

haha a joke.. didn't think that mustang drivers were douchbags. but thanks to the suggestions from people that ACTUALLY wanted to help. much appreciated!

I was serious about taking it to a mustang shop.

There are certain specialty shops that deal with Mustangs.
If money is no option you can take it to them and talk to them about your plans for the car, and they can help you turn it into a beast.
Think I'm joking?

Try these guys.
They even have a lake house you can stay at while they sup up your car:

http://www.brenspeed.com
Old 09-07-2010, 10:29 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

O
1. Must be street legal.
2. I want it to be a good track car and a decent drift car.
3. I am looking to literally upgrade anything to make it lighter and faster.
4. I want a short block engine. What would be a good shortblock that i can upgrade? what parts to you recommend for it?
5. I want to supercharge it, but it must be able to work with the short block.
6. EFI or Carb?
7. I want adjustable height. Higher for street and low for track.
8. What size tires?
9. Nitrous
10. Just list anything that can be upgraded on the car to make it better.

Thanks!!
Read, read, read. I cannot stress this enough. ESPECIALLY when coming on to a forum and asking for people's opinions. Keep in mind, while some people here have great advice and experience, its an open forum where anyone and everyone can answer. I would be disappointed to see someone drop serious money without having done their fair share of the research. I am by NO MEANS AN EXPERT, but would like you to flesh out some of your questions a bit. It would help us more to know your level of knowledge and experience.

4. Are you wanting a shortblock for reliability or because the car needs one or what? Frankly, you could probably make enough power safely on the stock bottom end to track the car and do some drifting.

5. Do you understand the relationship between various types of shortblock components and forced induction? I ask because a supercharger and new bottom end are two of the most expensive upgrades you may perform. It's important to fully understand what requires what, as a supercharger doesn't necessarily warrant a new bottom end.

6. There is no reason to go Carb. Especially on a car that comes with an EFI system. Anyone who tells you you're going to make more power with a Carb is flat out wrong. People who tell you to go carb generally have little experience with EFI, or are intimidated by it. There are those who would do the conversion for nostalgic reasons, but they are few and far between. For a car that will be experiencing some lateral G's, Fuel injection shines even more.

7. I'd imagine tracking the car vs drifting the car would require two different types/sizes of tires. Don't forget the cost of these wear items, as it will add up (especially when drifting).

8. Why do you want to run nitrous? I am not against it by any means, I am just curious as to YOUR reasons, and why you think the car needs it. If you can obtain the power you need via the engine/supercharger, why complicated it with another system and more cost? Nitrous can be an expensive habit over time. My roommate burned through a bottle a month, and it became a $70 a month habit.

10. You're asking for a gigantic list, that will vary widely depending on who posts it. That's like asking someone to bake you the best meal ever, but with little direction.

How much can you spend? Have you considered selling your car and waiting for the Boss 302? It will come with about 95% of what you're looking for, AND a warranty.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:29 PM
pujolsfan02

Maybe i should go with the boss 302. I saw one at blacktop nationals here in kansas and i must say it was a beauty! I would have 2 different sets of tires and i do understand they will go pretty fast. Thanks for all the help from everyone. I am going to do more reading. But, I do have a question.. does anyone run on Tein Suspension. (Specifically Tein Type Flex with the full EDFC Kit.) It is height adjustable and i can change the damper. It was used on the mustang drift car and i could keep it higher when cruising and lower it for the track. opinions on it?

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:45 PM
pujolsfan02

or even the saleen n2+ adjustable suspension? that seems like it might be better..
Old 04-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Gary Dowler

Not really bro.. I got full bolt ons, programmer and tuned on my 05 gt and i eat 5.0s lol done it many times
Old 04-07-2013, 02:54 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

I would have to agree trading it in and getting a 2011 or 2012 5.0. Then put whats left into it and it will be a lot faster than all the upgrades put into the 05.

Quick Reply: Help Me COMPLETELY Customize My Mustang!