Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HELP! Currie built Ford 9+ in my 2006 GT noisy? Why? 3:50 gears. Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:49 PM
One Love

Default HELP! Currie built Ford 9+ in my 2006 GT noisy? Why? 3:50 gears. Help!!!

Hey,
I just installed a 9+ in my car. It is all brand new from Currie. See parts list below. I took car into them to go for a drive and Tony drove it. He said for sure the gears are making noise on accelerating and decelerating. He offered to take apart and look at it again. But he also said that a guy with a 2006 Mustang that work at Currie just put a 9+ in his car the other day and it is making noise as well with 3:50 gears.
Tony and Travis said he also had an after market Upper control arm like I have. They told me it might be the upper control arm and the Johnny joint making the noise of gears amplify and suggested I check that first.
I want to see if any of you have experience with this and know of any fixes or is it just a bad gear install from Currie. If it is Currie said they will fix, but hate to take it out again if it is the upper control arm. Only to install again with same noise.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:29 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Rear end whine means crappy install of your gears. I have heard of guys taking the car to a stealership 3 times to try and get the whine fixed. Dont let them steer u away from there mistakes
Old 10-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Yeah if it's a whining noise, it's not shimmed in right on the gears.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:18 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by One Love
Hey,
I just installed a 9+ in my car. It is all brand new from Currie. See parts list below. I took car into them to go for a drive and Tony drove it. He said for sure the gears are making noise on accelerating and decelerating. He offered to take apart and look at it again. But he also said that a guy with a 2006 Mustang that work at Currie just put a 9+ in his car the other day and it is making noise as well with 3:50 gears.
Tony and Travis said he also had an after market Upper control arm like I have. They told me it might be the upper control arm and the Johnny joint making the noise of gears amplify and suggested I check that first.
I want to see if any of you have experience with this and know of any fixes or is it just a bad gear install from Currie. If it is Currie said they will fix, but hate to take it out again if it is the upper control arm. Only to install again with same noise.
A guy would think Currie would have a more definitive answer than that. The only way you will know is to swap the control arm out.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:45 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Noise is noise. Its either there or not.
Just because the upper control arm is transmitting
it into the cabin for you to enjoy is not a valid
point for the rear end making ANY whining noises.
Pull the cover and do a gear mesh pattern test
and a ring gear backlash test.
That will tell you whats wrong.
Did you get the pinion angle set right?
Old 10-02-2010, 10:31 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by BruceH
A guy would think Currie would have a more definitive answer than that.
No schit Jack.
Will all the money you have to fork out for their unit, I'd be pissed.
Their stuff is over priced to begin with...
Old 10-02-2010, 10:45 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Shoulda got Strange.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:07 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

The more I think about this I wonder how big Currie really is. I'm thinking it would be nothing for them to put another drop out in. That's just me.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:43 PM
One Love

Yea, I did all the adjusting I am going to do. I am bring it in in the am for them to take a part. I cant take cover off 9" without removing so all good. They are 10 minutes from house. I found out driveshaft had a bend in it. Got rebuilt.

As far as money goes I paid $900 for Curries rear plus $238 for full rebuild and new gears and driveshaft plus I spent $280 in rebuild of driveshaft. So not a bad deal for same great parts that are now ALL NEW!!! So not big buck. I am tight like all you!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I feel for you man. If you were here this summer you would have heard all the crap I went through. Noise afer long tube install.. (MAJOR UNBARABLE). Tun problems 4 trips 300 mi back and forth, TRANSMISSSION faliure after that. Then a bum new clutch from SPEC. Then problems gettting a a flywheel that even though was tell was as almost light as aluminum (which thank goodness I acually like so far).
My final fix is a MGW I had installled that is having bad road noise I am guessin because loktite was not used as suggested. Once I get tha fixed I should be good to go. But lets just say my original mods have turned into DOUBLE the price I planned on. I could have put a damn supercharger on for the money I have spent.

But once his MGW is kinda re installed I am taking a major break from performace mods. My last and final mod down the road will probably be a pulley and the FRRP intake.

For now I am goin cosmetic. I am debating the new Cervini's classic GT500 break like conversion, a new hood (heat extractor) or a custom painted plenum cover with real fire flames.
Thing is I only wash my underhood with a rag because I don't like the idea of water runnin all over my engine parts. I am wondering if I can WIPE simple green of with wet rag.

Anyhooot point is this. Unfortunatley on occaciosion you will run into problems/faulty installs what have you. The good thing about yours is you can demand they fix it correcty. My advice to you is be nice but KNOW when it's time to stop being nice.
That was my problem, I got rolled for being too nice. Tell them they can fix they can check the simplest thing first and if that does not work you want the gears completely replaced.

I just saw where you said they said the gears are making a noise.
You NEED to have them redo them. This is going to be your only fix.
Go ahead and tell them you WANT them replaced. Hell... if I were you I would use a new set of gears just to be carefull. Cover all your ends so this will be your last trip there.

Good luck my friend.

Quick Reply: HELP! Currie built Ford 9+ in my 2006 GT noisy? Why? 3:50 gears. Help!!!