Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2005 GT Automatic, Launch Techniques?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Swarz_kopf

Default 2005 GT Automatic, Launch Techniques?

Hello everyone,

Long time car guy and casual racer with some questions about my 2005 Mustang GT, automatic.

I'm taking my GT to the track on Saturday for the first time (first time with this car- several hundred passes under my belt in other stuff). My '05 is modified with a JLT CAI and a BAMA 93 octane tune.

I've been practicing launching the car on the stock Pirellis and not having much luck.

If I give it too much throttle, the tires melt.
If I give it too little and try roll into it, it feels like the drive by wire keeps the throttle blade partially closed for 2-3 seconds after I go WOT.

Very annoying. Guys with automatic 3V 4.6s, what are your launch techniques? Any tips or feedback is appreciated- I'm missing a good old mechanical throttle cable right now!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:31 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Get more rubber.

Stock Pirelli's are crap. I used to spin them street driving on a stock tune and not even aggressive on the throttle.

If you spin, you can try driving it manual. Auto's will always out shift a human being though.

Last edited by alkemist; 10-20-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:34 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

With stock tires the best 60ft I could get was 2.20. With aftermarket rims and 285 kdw street tires got it down to 2.10. I would do a small burn out to clean off the tires but always drive around water box. Unfortunately street tires are just not consistent. Sometimes they would blow off in first sometimes in second and ruin the run. Stock converter doesn't hold much, so loading it up doesn't help any Imo.

With a cai and brenspeed tune I was able to run 13.4's. Good luck and have fun.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Swarz_kopf

Thanks for the feedback- looking for launch techniques, not tire recommendations though- I know that drag radials or cheaters are wonderful but I'm not going to have them by Saturday.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:26 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Just hold down the brakes, HARD, and then hold the gas down steady right at the brink of breaking the tires loose.. when it's time to go, let up on the breaks slightly while giving it enough gas to spin the tires, then floor it while completely letting off the gas. I average 2.0s on stock tires, 18x8.5s. You can try doing "mini burn outs" while trying to prepare for the track, because that's pretty much what you want to happen at the tree.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:49 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Technique with a automatic is simple: rev it up a little, like to 1000-2000 rpms, using the left foot to firmly hold the brake. When you go, release the brake with your left foot and floor it with your right foot at the same time. Keep it floored to the finish line, or until you spin too much and start losing control.

For the stock Pirellis, it helped me to lower the rear tires only to about 20 psi when cold (and of course, re-inflate them before leaving the track). Even with that, I'd still spin about half the time off the line, but would almost always stay in it, as long I remained in control. Was able to get some better traction, vs. fully inflated tires.
I tried various tire pressure reductions on the street, and as long as the tire was not overly hot, the "majic number" for the Pirellis was 22 psi: below it I could get traction on the street from a dead stop flooring it, while 22 and above would just spin.

As mentioned, better is to get a set (or borrow some from someone) of drag radials for the back tires. You wont have the traction issues you'll have with stock tires.

Also be familiar with how to stage to the lights and all. Watch other people, ask the track officials, etc. Once you do it one time, you'll have it down.

Most of all, have fun!
Old 10-21-2010, 01:35 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

^^ no TPMS woes. I know if I did that, I might throw a TPMS code lulz
Old 10-21-2010, 01:52 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Stall it up to 2k... the track should be much stickier than the street if they prep your track correctly. I had a 1.9 60' on stock tires (4.10's).
Old 10-21-2010, 07:13 AM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

When my car was stock I hooked at the track by just rolling in to the throttle. Leaving on the converter typically caused tire spin unless the track was really hooking. Launch in drive with the TC off. Spin the tires on the dry surface a little to get the debris out. Good luck
Old 10-21-2010, 07:39 AM
Swarz_kopf

Thanks for all the feedback.

I wouldn't have thought to drop the Pirelli's to that low of a pressure- great input. I will try it.

I suppose I'll try brake stalling it to different RPMs and pounding the gas at brake release- doesn't look like many folks roll into it, and it seems like when I roll into it the DBW lags bigtime.

Thanks again- I'll report back on my times. Car feels very strong for the minor mods done to it (minus the difficulty launching- afraid I'm going to get skunked at redlights by slower cars since I can't get it moving well).

Quick Reply: 2005 GT Automatic, Launch Techniques?