Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Axle Back Exhaust (Fr500S)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:57 AM
jim13csulb

Arrow Axle Back Exhaust (Fr500S)

I drive an '08 GT premium and have been adding and purchasing cosmetic parts like louvers, and side scoops and such. My car now looks amazing, and now i need to make it sound great aswell

im looking into buying an axle back exhaust and am just waiting to pick the one i want. Right now im almost positive i want the Ford Racing Fr500s system. I live in California, so passing smog is an issue.

This is the exhaust here on american muscle, i dont plan on purchasing it from them, because i found a place cheaper, but heres a demonstration of the sound.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-f...ack-05091.html

So what does everyone thinK? Does anyone know anything about this exhaust or have it? Supposedly it is the exhaust that comes stock on the Fr500, but im not to familiar with it.

Thanks everyone, all comments will be appreciated
Old 10-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

I almost go those myself, until I had a chance to hear, in person, the Pypes Violators Axle-back. Now, before you go laughing, it's the sound and flow that matters and it turns out they sound as good as the higher-end types and for only about half the price. I couldn't be happier with my Pypes.

That is if you are going for an axle-back. If you are going for cat-backs or a full exhaust system, then there are many better choices. But if it's just a great sound that you're looking for without spending too much... then go with Pypes.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:48 PM
senter75

I checked out that "exhaust" thread we have here and liked the sound of the JBA axle backs the best, so I went with those (from Summit Racing, if I remember right) and could not be happier. Best sounding '05 - newer Mustang in Northern Colorado. I get comments everyday on how great it sounds.

Definitely check out the exhaust sound thread to hear all of them before making the decision.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:10 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jim13csulb
Does anyone know anything about this exhaust or have it?
i have it and am very happy with it. they are spendy, so like others have said, listen to as many different setups as possible before deciding.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:00 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I have heard this in person and they sound good. These axlebacks are perfectly legal in Cali.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:55 AM
jim13csulb

ive checked out the exhaust sound thread and i still seemed to like these, but like i said ive never heard them in person. Plus im great with photo and video editing so i do know how differently it could sound from a video in comparison to in person.

Im going to check out the JBA and pypes right now, and ill get back to this and let you know how i think they sound.

-hammeron are they significantly louder and more aggressive than the stock exhaust? And you mentioned they are pricey, with that in mind are they worth it?
Old 10-27-2010, 11:12 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jim13csulb
-hammeron are they significantly louder and more aggressive than the stock exhaust? And you mentioned they are pricey, with that in mind are they worth it?
they are louder and more aggressive for sure. they were worth it for me because they give the sound i'm looking for. i say go for it, i doubt you will be disappointed.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:45 PM
OCLandspeeder
1st Gear Member

I just installed the Ford Racing Power Pack in my '06 GT. I've seen and hear the other exhaust pipes that are really popular. It's tough to do better than the factory since Ford did a magnificent job of tuning the sound from the 4.6 V8. I picked the FRPP because I liked the looks of the big tips. From a distance, you can really see the duals and it fills the factory rear valance openings. Also, it is as quiet as stock at idle or small throttle openings. This is important to me since my '06 is a DD and I do a lot of driving in the freeway. They are not whisper quiet, but they don't drone either. However, when you get on the throttle the sound really comes out. At WOT the sound gets low and growls louder than the OEM exhaust. You really can't go wrong with the popular ones. But some will be louder than others even at cruise. The FRPP only gets loud when you are cruising near 100!
Old 10-27-2010, 09:17 PM
jim13csulb

Thanks hammeron and OCLandspeeder, thats exactly what i needed. I just needed the littlest of nudges to finalize my decision. So i have decided after countless hour searching for exhausts. Unfortunately i cant order them this week since im already busy with side scoops, shr louvers, and getting my super stripes put on my gt, but as soon as its back its getting a set of FR500s
Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i got mine here:

http://store.bvmperformance.com/Must...p/m-5230-s.htm

at the time this was the cheapest place to get them, not sure if it still is. they shipped
out reasonably fast and were in perfect condition upon arrival. fitment was perfect.

Quick Reply: Axle Back Exhaust (Fr500S)