Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Differences between 2010 & 2011 GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 02:05 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
The 11 has the mycolor-type lights all over the inside.. including the door sills. Mine are blue
Interesting - On the Ford Website, when you build one out, they show the door sills as being a dealer add on and only in white. But it sounds like yours is exactly like my 2010.....
Old 10-30-2010, 02:10 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5 Dot 0
Thanks. But there was a track package right? What did it include?

BTW great looking car. What does the aluminum driveshaft do? Put more HP to the rear wheels?
Thank you!

The aluminum driveshaft (single piece) is MUCH lighter than the stock steel two piece. So it free's up HP to the rear wheels. Some have reported 2/10ths in the 1320' by only this change. I know my *** dyno can feel the difference and there is far less clunky noises than from the stock unit.

The Track Pack on the 2010 was: Different Suspension; Different Brake Pads, 3.73 Rear Locker, Spare Tire Delete, Rear Wing Delete and 19 inch wheels with P-Zero Tires.

The 3.73 Package got you nearly all of it though, so it was a great deal.

No Brembo package available for the 2010. However, I just received a set of GT500 Brembos I ordered from FRPP, so I will have them on soon
Old 10-30-2010, 08:32 PM
StuckInNYForever

1st to 4th skip shift is new
Old 11-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Frantz 2010

2010 Track Pack-equipped ‘Stang: a 3.73 rear end with limited slip differential, carbon fiber clutch plates, more aggressive brake pads, stabilizer and rear lower control arms plucked from the GT500, 19” wheels with performance rubber, and AdvanceTrack tuning.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:47 PM
KXRM
1st Gear Member

The 11 has the mycolor-type lights all over the inside.. including the door sills. Mine are blue
I will echo this, this is not a dealer option this comes on all premium vehicles with the my color ambient lighting. Mine are customizable and I chose purple to offset the iceblue. Still deciding on which one is the best.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:39 PM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frantz 2010
2010 Track Pack-equipped ‘Stang: a 3.73 rear end with limited slip differential, carbon fiber clutch plates, more aggressive brake pads, stabilizer and rear lower control arms plucked from the GT500, 19” wheels with performance rubber, and AdvanceTrack tuning.
I've read the Brembo package also has the lower control arms from the GT500. Sounds like the packages were very similar sans the Brembo brakes and the clutch upgrade with LS diff on the 2010.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:06 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I never thought I would say this... believe me.. but the rear of the car grows on you.. especially when you smoke the headlights. Standing directly behind the car the rear actually looks OK (as long as you dont mind the plastic).. looking at it from a slight angle.. not so good. The rear looks better with darker colors.. with black looking the best (as always).
I agree. I was in the original hate crowd of the new body style, especially the rear. After having an 07 GT, 09 GT and now this 2010... I can honestly say that the new style has not only grown on me, but I prefer it. The older style now looks exactly that to me: old. Hell I even like the new rear end better, which shocks me to say. I will always like the 05-09 style, but I like my 2010 better now.

The main difference from a driving perspective on this 2010, is it handles a HELL of a lot better than the 07 and 09 did.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KennyPowers
One of the previous posts mentioned the technical details that were changed.

I do NOT own either of these cars, but test drove both back to back with manual transmissions a few days ago.

Biggest differences were

-Super overboosted electric steering in 5.0 (made me lean towards 4.6)
-Transmission, shorter gearing in 6 speed, but gearbox not as solid
-4.6 felt a little lighter and easier to handle
-5.0 and 4.6 felt similar till 4k RPM when the 5.0 takes OFF. Both are fast, but the 5.0 is the fastest car ive ever driven.
-4.6 was louder than the 5.0 and sounds better

Thats imo. For me, I am considering a 4.6 with gears and a tune with some much needed (imo) basic suspesion mods.

Both are great cars, and definitely refined enough to compete with the base euro cars and higher end imports. Main difference is the stangs are faster and way more fun to drive!
Are you smoking crack?!!!!
(of offense, j/k)

I dont have a mustang at the moment, but by God - the new 5.0 has got to be the most amazing Car i have ever driven. I was just about to give up on fords

this thing picks up like a rocket from IDLE. I was in a state of shock and awe, I have never felt something so powerful. It felt faster (not saying is) than a vette - much faster. I can't even look at a 4.6 right now - It makes me want to puke!

The overall feel , and new tech features on the 5.0 make it stand out. (unless the salesman was lying, the new 5.0 had things like a diffrent fuel tank filler, ipod dock, etc)

the way the suspension responds, so beautiful, and such great balance between engine and suspensin / weight.

the 5.0 sounds great! so sexy, so beautiful.

Read the reviews - this new mustang is NOTHING like the 4.6, NOTHING. This is more like entry level super car (which is what muscle cars are now feeling like more and more)

I absolutley love what Ford is doing - After the 2010 4.6 came out i was getting ready to give up on mustangs and go to GM. POS modular, underpowered to hell, the mustang was turning into junk. the 4.6 didnt supplement the new body style well. Now with the 5.0 - the exterior looks "justified" knowing that the coyote is under the hood. it's just not the same with the old 4.6 - its time to move to bigger and better and more quality things.

I am so pleased with the 2011 mustang.

Don't look twice - get the 5.0 my friend. You will kill yourself with self hatred if you go for the 2010!!!!

This is a well crafted piece of machine.

Last edited by Jbauer; 11-02-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:26 PM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jbauer
I am so pleased with the 2011 mustang.

Don't look twice - get the 5.0 my friend. You will kill yourself with self hatred if you go for the 2010!!!!

This is a well crafted piece of machine.
So am I and that's why I'm going to buy one. I was never considering a 2010 I just wanted to know the differences. My first drive in a 2011 was a Roush Stage 2. I was very impressed with how solid it felt and how fast it is. I've also driven a Camaro SS which is impressive but the 5 DOT 0 felt lighter, faster, and better connected to the road. I've always been a Ford guy but I also want to drive the Challenger just so I can say I drove all three before placing my order. I'd also like to drive a Brembo equipped car which is what I'm going to order. I'm hoping the Brembo car has a similar feel to the Roush.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Great now this post is going to turn into flaming the 4.6L for the 5.0L...

Yes the new 5.0L is an awesome car... But more impressively the 3.7L is. Power and MPG you can't beat that. However, the 4.6L has its time and place and will be remembered as a great engine in the Mustang line up. Yes the 5.0L is a big step for Ford, but the 4.6L isn't some piece of crap engine now just because something new came out. Its a proven and reliable engine with some good history.

Lets not turn this into some 4.6 vs 5.0 bash because I'm sick and tired of seeing it. Both engines are great and both should be respected. They both have there place and guess what we can agree on. They both are in the best muscle car on the road right now and are V8's, you can't beat that.

Quick Reply: Differences between 2010 & 2011 GT