Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Clogged cats with forced induction?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 06:24 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default Clogged cats with forced induction?

Someone mentioned it being a common problem with FI. Has anyone actually clogged a cat?

Since I was driving on 7 cylinders for a few days, i'm going to remove my H pipe to visually inspect. Does anyone have a sound clip of their exhaust with gutted stock H pipe?
Old 12-02-2010, 07:40 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

FWIW I've never heard of anyone clogging the stock cats, but I have heard of a few clogging aftermarket "hi-flow" cats.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:42 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

I agree, clogging a factory cat is almost impossible. For the mixture to be that lean where you'd melt the substrate you'd have other issues then clogged cats.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:44 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Someone mentioned it being a common problem with FI. Has anyone actually clogged a cat?

Since I was driving on 7 cylinders for a few days, i'm going to remove my H pipe to visually inspect. Does anyone have a sound clip of their exhaust with gutted stock H pipe?
Boozehsey had a catastophic motor failure due to a clogged kooks cat. You would notice it though, his car was driving like crap and he kept doing wot pulls with his tuner trying to figure it out.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:59 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpartaPerformance
I agree, clogging a factory cat is almost impossible. For the mixture to be that lean where you'd melt the substrate you'd have other issues then clogged cats.
I thought it was rich a/f or unburned fuel that killed them.

Anyone think I will run to lean by gutting the stock cats? There are sound clips on youtube with off road H and stock mufflers that sound pretty good. My car had a 10.8:1 a/f ratio when I had it dynoed a few years ago. I can't see the extra flow causing a substantially lean a/f mixture.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I thought it was rich a/f or unburned fuel that killed them.

Anyone think I will run to lean by gutting the stock cats? There are sound clips on youtube with off road H and stock mufflers that sound pretty good. My car had a 10.8:1 a/f ratio when I had it dynoed a few years ago. I can't see the extra flow causing a substantially lean a/f mixture.
Mine didn't change in the AF. It was really loud though.

I will be putting in a off road mid pipe this winter.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:28 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Jim Jr at JDM told me it was a real good idea for me to cut out my HF ceramic cats as they would melt in less than 6 months with FI. I am having that done and placing some 12 inch cherry bomb mufflers to act as a resonator. My exhaust is very strange. It goes in this order.

Pypes Longtubes
H pipe
12" cherry bombs
pypes m80s
flowmaster American Thunder mufflers.

Cams, longtubes and FI equals one loud as car!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Wow 808, do you happen to have a pic of the underside of your ride? It's got to look interesting.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:24 AM
06mach1
1st Gear Member

A misfire will possibly cause a rich condition in the cat. The cat inturn then burns the excess fuel causing the cat temperature to rise higher than normal which "melts" the internal parts of the cat. Driving with the MIL flashing will cause this issue.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I had my 08 GT500 blow the cats...I had recently upgraded the blower pulley and all that goes with it...was launching down a freeway on ramp at WOT when it looked like a chalk bag had just exploded behind the car...turned out it was ceramic particals and dust...pulled the cats off and they were falling apart...I bought the car with 558 miles on it and the guy mostly just idled around...I am sure it was running rich and burned the cats...

Quick Reply: Clogged cats with forced induction?