Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Slight gear bite in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 06:33 AM
allicedout

Default Slight gear bite in cold weather

Hey guys, its a little cold outside, oh about -10 C and I notice that 2nd and 3rd gear slightly bite when going into gear, now I can avoid this which I do by slowly dropping it into gear, now the problem only persist for about 5min or until the car is warmed up, I've tried leaving the car on until its completely warm but doesn't help any, it seems I need to get the gear oil warmed up for it to shift smooth, after she's warmed up no issues. Anyone know whats going on? I plan on changing the fluid and would appreciated any recommendations. I was thinking about going Royal Purple. Your suggestions are appreciated! Thanks.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I've heard this quite frequently and it seems that switching over to synthetic solved the problem (or reduced it). I'd consider Amsoil personally but those using RP seem satisfied with it.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:53 AM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

Talking ZOMG......

That bites! lol.

It's 14°F outside and you're wondering why the shifting is notchy until warm? Really? Turn your keys in to the nearest dealer please...lol!
Old 12-16-2010, 09:01 AM
allicedout

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
That bites! lol.

It's 14°F outside and you're wondering why the shifting is notchy until warm? Really? Turn your keys in to the nearest dealer please...lol!

Really? Its my first Mustang, I've never had this issue with my Honda's. is it normal for the stang to do this? Or do I just need some better oil in there? I was hoping for some constructive help. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Changine the gear oil is about the only thing you can do, and it should help.

In my pervious car, a Probe GT, I had grinding upon shifting in cold weather that was completely and instantly solved by switch gear oil brands. In that case I switched into Redline MTL. A bit of research will be required to determine the right oil. I'm sure I would have this issue to, but I park my car during our winters.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:00 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
That bites! lol.

Lots of people are having this problem. I first noticed it in September... when it was 60 degrees outside. It gets worse over time, and is obviously more apparent when it's cold.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You're comparing your Ford to your Hondas? I never in my wildest dreams expect my Stang to live up to the quality and engineering of my Toyotas.

As I mentioned previously, going to a synthetic will help if not eliminate this very common problem.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:08 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Just take it easy for the first little bit till the trans warms up as you are already doing.
I wouldn't worry.

Cheers.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:01 PM
allicedout

Thanks guys, I just had the oil changed but used OEM oil as replacement, someone suggested Ford Friction Modifier, I hear alot of guys are running Royal Purple and or Amsoil. Anyone better then the other? I'll get some synthetic in there and as I do anyways take it easy until it warms up.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:03 PM
JT1652
1st Gear Member

I have been living with the same problem. I haven't bothered switching transmission fluid. I just shift into third slowly until the car warms up.

Quick Reply: Slight gear bite in cold weather