Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shorties???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 02:14 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

The shorties do help with sound quality and noise, not sure on power though. Everyone seems to think they know what shorties do, but no one has brought a back to back test to really show the difference.

I would love to have LT's.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:32 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

http://www.stangmods.com/MAC-Short-T...rs-p/00175.htm
Old 12-26-2010, 03:21 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Why are you asking if they will do a visual check for the long tubes?
I have NEVER heard of the headers themselves being illegal.

Get long tubes and keep your cats. Everything will be fine.

I believe you need an updated tune also to turn the rear 02 sensors off with long tubes
or you will get a couple of CEL codes for cat efficiency

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 12-26-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:47 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

My JBA shorties is one of my favorite mods. Sure they don't increase horsepower like long tubes, but my butt dyno felt a low-end torque improvement (mine is a daily driver). The exhaust sound is deeper and smoother with them also.

IMO most of the LT gains come from the O/R mid pipe or HF cats that most people put on when they install long tubes. You could install shorties and leave your factory catted H-Pipe on for inspections and then easily switch out your mide pipe to an O/R H-Pipe for the rest of the year.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
My JBA shorties is one of my favorite mods. Sure they don't increase horsepower like long tubes, but my butt dyno felt a low-end torque improvement (mine is a daily driver). The exhaust sound is deeper and smoother with them also.

IMO most of the LT gains come from the O/R mid pipe or HF cats that most people put on when they install long tubes. You could install shorties and leave your factory catted H-Pipe on for inspections and then easily switch out your mide pipe to an O/R H-Pipe for the rest of the year.
I'd believe what you said about the mid pipe and cats if I saw some serious dyno examples.
Meaning guys with shorties and the adjustment you just stated posting avg. 12-15hp gains.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Why are you asking if they will do a visual check for the long tubes?
I have NEVER heard of the headers themselves being illegal.

Get long tubes and keep your cats. Everything will be fine.

I believe you need an updated tune also to turn the rear 02 sensors off with long tubes
or you will get a couple of CEL codes for cat efficiency
Long tubes in Cali are illegal in smog controled cars. Yes they do look for them and also sniff the tail pipe. Even if the tail pipe test is good, they will fail you for visual stuff.

Most of the aftermarket cats that are anything but OEM are crap and will not pass in california.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride

The JBAs are equal length headers which improves scavenging from the motor. The MAC shorties above are just cool looking tubular exhaust manifolds.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:42 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bojanglesowner07252
but what happens if i get the long tubes and dont pass the visual test for inspection...i dont wanna have to pay to get stock parts put up there again. thats the only reason i even mentioned shorties.
Visual?? Please if you find somebody THAT strict that wont pass the LT's they wont pass shorties either as they are not OEM. Find another inspection station.

BTW you don't need to get LT's coated if you get a real set of headers like American Racing. Buying that cheap Chinese JUNK you may want to consider it.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:45 PM
bojanglesowner07252
2nd Gear Member

i was just searching on a couple forums and i came across people talking about their longtubes and not passing a visual...one guy said as long as u pass the sniffer test than your fine, but if u fail the sniffer then they will fail u on the visual also. I was kinda just trying to verify if anyone else has heard of this. I have never done full exhaust before and just wanna make it legal without any worries....so if i get the longtubes and a high flow catted h pipe with a tune so i dont throw a CEL than i should be legal correct????
Old 12-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpartaPerformance
Visual?? Please if you find somebody THAT strict that wont pass the LT's they wont pass shorties either as they are not OEM. Find another inspection station.

BTW you don't need to get LT's coated if you get a real set of headers like American Racing. Buying that cheap Chinese JUNK you may want to consider it.
Laws vary from state to state. Alot of states require a CARB number. California is one of them. JBA has a CARB # which makes them smog legal. Just like my KB has a CARB #. Some states are not idiotic like california.

If you have anything on your car that is aftermarket in regards to the intake or exhaust, it will not pass smog (visual). This is unless the person behind the machine knows how to open his pocket and look over some things.

If you have ever had ceramic coated and regular, you would know why ceramic are better.

Quick Reply: Shorties???