Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2007 GT owner looking for tune advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I have the JLT CAI/93 tune from American Muscle. It's a great mod
Old 01-03-2011, 11:19 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Moving..........
Old 01-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by everett
There is a thread at all ford mustangs on this exact topic. It's called the am/bama/tunes thread. It is 32 pages long and will answer every possible question you could have. And in that thread American muscle put the jlt cai and it gained nothing. Just so you know
Originally Posted by everett
What cai? Doesn't matter really they don't do **** anyway unless you are going fi otherwise they just look pretty. If you have your heart set on one injen makes a beauty piece. You can find them on the amsoil website. They have a dry high flow amsoil filter that actually filters air unlike the k&n and if you sign up for the preferred customer deal you get amsoil and anything on that website at wholesale. I have 3 vehicles. That membership paid for itself in 1 round of oil changes.
Does American muscle sell JLT? Was it used in conjunction with a tune?

It was my first mod and I gained 23 rwhp and 27 rwtq with the 91 tune. Muscle Mustangs and fast Fords did a test and got 30+ rwhp with the tune and CAI.

CAIs should not be installed without a tune. Period. Otherwise they are worthless.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

The difference between stock and the 87 octane tune will be 95% of the total performance difference IMO. I've always found the 91 tunes to feel stronger than the 93s, so my advice is not to instantly go to the 93 and assume its the "best" simply because of the burn rate of the 93 octane fuel. Thats just simply not accurate. If you are getting 3 tunes with the package, I'd get an 89, 91, and a 93 personally. Also, if you go with American Muscle, get a race tune in 91 or 93. Its by far their most aggressive tune.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by muzzy
you need to go 93 oct with a JLT CAI to notice any real difference...

Absolutely, positively W R O N G !

ANY good custom 87 octane tune will run cirlces around the stock 87 tune. As you go up in octane with different tunes, you'll notice some incremental increase but not all tunes are written with the same characteristics, You'll find many folks that run lower octane tunes more suited to their driving style. Also, if you travel you'll want an 87 custom tune for those rare occurences that you can't get anything over 87 (happened to me twice). Get tunes for the octanes available in your area.

Pick the tune-required CAI based on what suits your eyes and wallet, with a tune they're all equivalent.

Last edited by Nuke; 01-03-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:14 AM
raredesign
2nd Gear Member

I can't speak for everet's 2000 mustang, but I can't agree with his statement. The tune is what makes use of the CAI, and on our s197's, it is a satisfying difference.
I have the pvc based JLT for three reasons: price, looks, and because it is plastic and cools better.

Unfortunately tunes are not straight forward 1 to 1 based on octane. The octane just allows more room to change the timing of the parameters since there is a different flash point.

In theory you would think that the higher octane would yield the best results, but I believe a dyno chart would still be the deciding factor for each specific tune.

Someone posted about the 93 race tune from AM...now i am curious ;-)
Old 01-07-2011, 05:14 AM
jmegt

i want to order straight from JLT but it doesnt say mush about the different tunes an wat they do.....but american muscle talks about it.....just not comfortable ordering from a third party
Old 01-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

AM and Brenspeed write better tunes than the CAI and tuner manufacturers. Both have a lot of experience, are reputable and stand behind their tunes better than the manufacturers. If you read peoples sigs, you'll see that the vast majority are tuned by AM (Bama) or Brenspeed.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:57 AM
raredesign
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmegt
i want to order straight from JLT but it doesnt say mush about the different tunes an wat they do.....but american muscle talks about it.....just not comfortable ordering from a third party
American Muscle has been great! they stand behind their products, and if you buy the tuner from them, you get free tunes for life. It is definitely a major convenience.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by jmegt

Why order straight from JLT?
That is a TOTAL waste!
If you order from American Muscle you are getting the SAME exact product.
Do you think JLT would sell to American Muscle if they though they were going to mess with their product? That is crazy!

American Muscle is one of the most reputable places to get mustang parts in the WORLD.
You cannot get any safer than them. Plus they CARE about their customers.
Chris Rose... one of their main tuners, actually sent me a free tune when I did not even buy anything from them at the time! He saw my problems on a thread and he did it PURELY out of the kindness of his heart.
Making NO profit from it. Can you say that about any other online company?

Order from American Muscle. That way you can get the JLT intake AND the tuner with the tunes you need.
You can order them as a package deal and save alot of money.

If you JUST get the JLT intake without a tune you might as well use it as a paperweight because it's not gonna do CRAP for you. Unless you are going to take your car to a shop and get a custom dyno tune then
you need to buy your JLT as a package with an intake and tuner. Otherwise as I said you will be throwing away money for nothing but something that looks cool.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 01-07-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Quick Reply: 2007 GT owner looking for tune advice