Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Couldn't wait any longer....mods started!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 05:12 PM
dflem01

Default Couldn't wait any longer....mods started!

So I've only had my 2010 GT for a month now. Bought with 2300 miles, now has 4000. Absolutley LOVE driving, looking, listening too it, stock. Its a manual w/3.73 rear end and the 19" wheel/strut tower package. coming from 20 years of driving 4 cyl imports, the V8 is just an incredible new world and even the stock 315hp is very entertaining.....but just like all my previous cars, I cant leave well enough alone so I just ordered the C&L CAI and SCT tuner combo from AM..89 street, 91 performance, and 93 race programs. Can't wait!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by dflem01
So I've only had my 2010 GT for a month now. Bought with 2300 miles, now has 4000. Absolutley LOVE driving, looking, listening too it, stock. Its a manual w/3.73 rear end and the 19" wheel/strut tower package. coming from 20 years of driving 4 cyl imports, the V8 is just an incredible new world and even the stock 315hp is very entertaining.....but just like all my previous cars, I cant leave well enough alone so I just ordered the C&L CAI and SCT tuner combo from AM..89 street, 91 performance, and 93 race programs. Can't wait!
Good start! Get you a MGW short throw shifter. They wont cost you but about 200 bucks or so and you wont BELIEVE the difference in shifting.
They feel better, and are completely adjustable. This will help you shift faster and cut those times down. Later on think about either going with a supercharger... or if you don't want THAT much power get you a set of cams and trade your 3.73's for 4.10's.

Congrats and I'm glad you are enjoying that Mustang.
Be safe and have fun!
Like I said before... MGW short throw shifter man.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:47 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Good start! Get you a MGW short throw shifter. They wont cost you but about 200 bucks or so and you wont BELIEVE the difference in shifting.
They feel better, and are completely adjustable. This will help you shift faster and cut those times down. Later on think about either going with a supercharger... or if you don't want THAT much power get you a set of cams and trade your 3.73's for 4.10's.

Congrats and I'm glad you are enjoying that Mustang.
Be safe and have fun!
Like I said before... MGW short throw shifter man.
Hey bud, I was thinking of changing my cams to the Ford Racing ones. I already have 93 Race tune and a basic CAI and a Cat back. What are the pros and cons of changing the cams? I was doing some research and many people dont have good things to say about changing them. Can you please tell me your experience because im dying to have that sound but dont want to loose out in any way. thanks men
Old 01-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

When loading your tunes, I recommend this:
  1. Be sure you've tanked up with 93 octane from near empty in advance (running 93 octane on lower octane tunes will not hurt the engine).
  2. Immediately BEFORE installing the CAI nad loading tunes, take the car for a very spirited drive stock. Make a mental note of how the car feels in the low, mid and upper RPM ranges while putting the car through it's paces. The intent is to compare each tunes characteristics.
  3. Install CAI, load the 89 octane custom tune and repeat the ride from step #2.
  4. Load the 91 tune and repeat the ride.
  5. Load the 93 tune and repeat the ride.
  6. Pick which tune you like the most for how you intend to use the car.
I'll put money down that you'll choose either the 89 or 91 for most DD situations.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I agree overall with nuke, but the one thing I will say about the Bama tunes having tried them myself on now 3 different stangs, is that the race tune is really in its own league compared to the performance and street.

My advice to the OP is to use your free tunes for life, and also order yourself up a 91 octane race tune. This follows nuke's experience which is the same as mine, AND gets you the most aggressive tune as well...
Old 01-12-2011, 12:05 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
When loading your tunes, I recommend this:
  1. Be sure you've tanked up with 93 octane from near empty in advance (running 93 octane on lower octane tunes will not hurt the engine).
  2. Immediately BEFORE installing the CAI nad loading tunes, take the car for a very spirited drive stock. Make a mental note of how the car feels in the low, mid and upper RPM ranges while putting the car through it's paces. The intent is to compare each tunes characteristics.
  3. Install CAI, load the 89 octane custom tune and repeat the ride from step #2.
  4. Load the 91 tune and repeat the ride.
  5. Load the 93 tune and repeat the ride.
  6. Pick which tune you like the most for how you intend to use the car.
I'll put money down that you'll choose either the 89 or 91 for most DD situations.
Hey Nuke,

Im curious, what dont you like about the 93 tune ?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

My 93 Brenspeed tune pulls harder in the upper RPM range and is a bit "doggy" in the low range. It may probably be similar to what Bama writes as a race tune but I've never had Bama tunes to compare. Nontheless, it's great if I was racing but I don't. My 89 tune pulls really nice in the low and midranges. My 87 tune is way better than the stock tune and pulls well throughout the RPM bands but doesn't quite have the ***** of the 89 and 93.

Also, if you travel a lot, you may want to have a custom 87 tune handy. I've had 2 instances where I was on a trip and could only find 87 octane.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:18 PM
dflem01

Thanks for the thoughts. Stuff is supposed to be here tommorow, but maybe not with the blizzard here in N.E. 18" on the ground, so don't think the GT will be coming out for a while.
That MGW shifter looks like a really nicely built product, and I do think the shifting could be shorter for sure. Does the driveshaft have to come out to install it?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:22 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for breaking it down .
Old 01-12-2011, 06:40 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
My 93 Brenspeed tune pulls harder in the upper RPM range and is a bit "doggy" in the low range. It may probably be similar to what Bama writes as a race tune but I've never had Bama tunes to compare. Nontheless, it's great if I was racing but I don't. My 89 tune pulls really nice in the low and midranges. My 87 tune is way better than the stock tune and pulls well throughout the RPM bands but doesn't quite have the ***** of the 89 and 93.

Also, if you travel a lot, you may want to have a custom 87 tune handy. I've had 2 instances where I was on a trip and could only find 87 octane.
I don't have the Brenspeed tune so I can't compare but the 93 Brenspeed tune almost seems like the AM/Bama 91/93 performance. Below 3500 RPMS it's almost stock like but after that it pulls pretty hard. The AM 91/93 tq/street tune pulls hard bellow 3500 RPMs and then not so much after that. The race tune is more balanced. Pulls not has hard as the street tune bellow 3500 but more than stock and the same in the upper RPM range.

Quick Reply: Couldn't wait any longer....mods started!