Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Glowing rotor

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 02:18 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

That sucks. And I assume they are doing both the left and the right side rear calipers?
If it is only the bad caliper they are replacing, boy howdy, the cost of calipers have gone up big time!

I don't know if this is a ploy to milk you out of more money for needless car work, but all brake shops will say if you replace the right calipers, you have to do the same to the left.

If anything I do not know why a simple replacement of the pads on the other side and turning the good rotor would suffice, that way you do not have to pay for both calipers when one is still good.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:10 PM
dean12692
1st Gear Member

glowing as in red hot?
Old 01-22-2011, 06:46 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

The emergency brake has been known to freeze in place. There is a TSB on it. Quite possibly what may have happened even though you are getting the caliper replaced. Keep an eye on it, been pretty cold through the mid atlantic.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:51 PM
washburn085
2nd Gear Member

Just the one caliper. They were $159 each, the guy at the desk (who knew less about cars than my mom) said that the other one was about to go out..... ya..... right.... so I just had them replace the one. My pads were at 4/32 (2/32 is the min i believe before you really need to replace) and he said that they wouldn't do the work unless I got them to put new ones on because the pads on that side were glazed, I asked him to show me and he said that they won't take them off of the car unless they are doing work... but could tell they were glazed by the rotor, which did look bad. I thought about asking them to just sand them down some, but said screw it, will just replace them now.

They were glow was orange hot.

Ya, I am in the DC area, and it was a bit nippy last night. If it happens again, then I will assume its the emergency brake issue. I am out of warranty anyway, so I guess I could take it to the dealer to have the TSB done and tell them not to touch the computer, I really don't feel like putting the stock airbox back on. I dunno, I may put it back on anyway, I don't trust them. I think I have the rattling issue that some of the 2007's had and I think there is a TSB for that as well. Could go get them both done.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:41 PM
slidai
1st Gear Member

Wont take them off unless you do the work? That's total bulls*it. I remove the pads and bring them to the customer all the time or bring the customer back to my bay so they can see for themselves. Sketchy place if you ask me.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:57 PM
redvertstang
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't take any chances with the old pads. Glazed or not. Just replace them.

It's funny, we don't think twice when it comes to spending hundreds of dollars in mods, but some will try to save a few bucks when it comes to fixing brakes

I think you did the right thing by replacing the pads. It's cheap insurance.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:37 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by slidai
Wont take them off unless you do the work? That's total bulls*it. I remove the pads and bring them to the customer all the time or bring the customer back to my bay so they can see for themselves. Sketchy place if you ask me.
+1

If anyone dares to tell me to replace a part, I always demand to see the part.
There are too many times that guys tell me crap like I need a tune-up when the car runs damn good and the ignition parts were replaced no more than 3000 miles ago.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:55 PM
redvertstang
2nd Gear Member

Sure you should always ask to see the bad part , but in this case, the rotor turned so hot it was glowing. I would have asked to replace the pads even without taking a look at them. IMHO.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:19 AM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

It's always good to replace brake pads in pairs ... same with rotors when replacing or just cutting. Don't know about shops, but when I buy brake pads, they always come in a pair for each side of the axle.

Last edited by 6-Speed; 01-23-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:25 AM
washburn085
2nd Gear Member

So, just left for band practice and noticed my car was sluggish again... the parking brake felt like it had play in it again. I got out and saw that there was some smoke coming from that side again.... so I am thinking its the parking brake.... gonna go back and demand they fix it, tell them they charged me for repairs i didnt need and never checked the parking brake like I asked yesterday. See if they do the honorable thing... but i doubt it. I may be taking it to ford... will see, hopefully I dont screw anything up, its like 5 miles away instead of 1 like this place.

I really need a garage....

Quick Reply: Glowing rotor