Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gear Drama / Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 09:12 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Default Gear Drama / Please Read

So I got some speed shop to install 4.10 gears for me about two weeks ago. The f - - king car starting making some whistling/howling sounds. It basically sounded like a tea kettle at boiling point. There was no grinding noise, just a whistling/howling sound is that best I can explain it. The sounds seemed to be more frequent when I was in fourth gear too between the speeds of 40 – 80 miles per hours. I am fairly familiar with gears since I switched many gears before at different shops. The only difference is that this is the first time I have ever used a Motive Gear. I always used a Ford Racing Gear before and had no issues. I already know that what I am explaining is called a whine noise; however, my first question is, are Motive Gears more frequent to making howling/whistling noises?

So I took my rig back to the speed shop and got the dude to disassemble everything and reshim the entire rear end. He almost called the cops on me because I went buck wild in the joint and got real nasty and created and Eddie Murphy scene, sorry to digress. As a result, he worked on it and the noise went down significantly but you can hear the faint whistling noise here and there.

Question 2, What oil grade should I use with my new 4.10 gears and how often should I change it? Sorry for the million questions, but I trust your opinions as oppose to the guy selling me S - - t at the speed shop. Thanks
Old 03-12-2011, 09:24 AM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
So I got some speed shop to install 4.10 gears for me about two weeks ago. The f - - king car starting making some whistling/howling sounds. It basically sounded like a tea kettle at boiling point. There was no grinding noise, just a whistling/howling sound is that best I can explain it. The sounds seemed to be more frequent when I was in fourth gear too between the speeds of 40 – 80 miles per hours. I am fairly familiar with gears since I switched many gears before at different shops. The only difference is that this is the first time I have ever used a Motive Gear. I always used a Ford Racing Gear before and had no issues. I already know that what I am explaining is called a whine noise; however, my first question is, are Motive Gears more frequent to making howling/whistling noises?

So I took my rig back to the speed shop and got the dude to disassemble everything and reshim the entire rear end. He almost called the cops on me because I went buck wild in the joint and got real nasty and created and Eddie Murphy scene, sorry to digress. As a result, he worked on it and the noise went down significantly but you can hear the faint whistling noise here and there.

Question 2, What oil grade should I use with my new 4.10 gears and how often should I change it? Sorry for the million questions, but I trust your opinions as oppose to the guy selling me S - - t at the speed shop. Thanks
You call that gear drama? Seriously? I'm on my 4th set now and second entire rear axle. Now THAT's gear drama!

As far as oil goes, most suggest a full synthetic such as Amsoil or Royal Purple. The rear takes 3 quarts of 75w140 Weight. If you go RP friction modifier is included. It can't hurt to change it after the break-in period (500 miles) and then replace depending on how the car is driven. I plan to change mine at 30k although the standard maintenance procedure calls for 100k.

Pay special attention to them over the first few thousand miles, if they are going to develop a problem or worsen it'll happen quick.

Tim
Old 03-12-2011, 09:36 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Why would they not shim the damn thing properly the first time?

If shimming is the key for proper teeth mesh and also the resulting gear whine, why do not all the shops do it properly the first time?
Or is it hard to determine just how much shimming is needed and it is a trial and error process?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:00 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

I guess I dont have it anywhere as bad as Tdbrown75, I dont even want to know how much you spent men. Part of the problem is that the shop didnt shim it properly, and in all honesty AM sold me 75w90 Royal Purple to use with the 4.10 gear. Now wheather that made the problem worse, I dont know but i suspect it did. Anyhow, i changed the grade yesterday to 75w140 and plan to change it again after the break in period. Anxiety is a bi-ch of a feeling cause I dont want to wreck my rear end.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:01 AM
jz
3rd Gear Member

If they know what they are doing there is no trial and error involved. Magnetic dial indicator on axle assembly, measure gear backlash, shim until in spec (if needed). My gears have never whined once.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:48 AM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

I guess I dont have it anywhere as bad as Tdbrown75, I dont even want to know how much you spent men. Part of the problem is that the shop didnt shim it properly, and in all honesty AM sold me 75w90 Royal Purple to use with the 4.10 gear. Now wheather that made the problem worse, I dont know but i suspect it did. Anyhow, i changed the grade yesterday to 75w140 and plan to change it again after the break in period. Anxiety is a bi-ch of a feeling cause I dont want to wreck my rear end.
Well it sounds like you have done all you can do to this point, just keep an "ear" on them so to speak. How long did you drvie them with the whine before they were re-shimmed?

Tim
Old 03-12-2011, 12:01 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Youre going to kill me Tim haha, but I drove it about 2000 miles. I know im f--ked, so im just going to live with it cause i dont want to drop more money into it.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:08 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz
If they know what they are doing there is no trial and error involved. Magnetic dial indicator on axle assembly, measure gear backlash, shim until in spec (if needed). My gears have never whined once.
Can you link an example of what a magnetic dial indicator is?
Whenever I get my gears changed (not right now, I have other mods I am adding on first), I want to make sure the shop I choose has such a tool.

This is the best example of a magnetic dial indicator I can find. It is not professional grade.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGYQ8wIwAA#
Old 03-12-2011, 12:27 PM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Youre going to kill me Tim haha, but I drove it about 2000 miles. I know im f--ked, so im just going to live with it cause i dont want to drop more money into it.
Its only a problem if you can't live with it...

Tim
Old 03-13-2011, 06:21 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Hey Tim, is there such a thing as the gears getting damaged from the noise I explained and failing to work. Cause I will put up with the noise, but I was wondering if mechanically gears are indestructible. Any input from anyone would be great

Quick Reply: Gear Drama / Please Read