Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Sudden drop in gas mileage--problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 05:43 PM
fragstertx
1st Gear Member

Default Sudden drop in gas mileage--problem?

I've been averaging about 17mpg since I started measuring (after first two fill ups). However, with my last two tanks, I've seen significantly lower mileage--14.5mpg and then 15.5mpg. Should I be concerned about this? My driving habits haven't changed--drive it to work everyday, a little on the weekends, stomp it when the opportunity arises, etc.. Cars performance hasn't changed, either--still hauls *ss. One thing I just thought of is that it has been unreasonably hotter the last few weeks here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX area. Maybe the A/C running more often is the culprit? I have had fewer mornings when I run to work with the windows down and the A/C off because it's just two dang hot!

Don't want to fret over it but you can't be too safe.

Also FYI, I haven't found any gasoline brand to be any better than the others, judging from MPG, unless that difference is measured in tenths of a gallon of in MPG. Cheap gas, name brand, detergent, etc., they all seem to perform the same, which is a good thing, IMO. No performance mods on my ride yet. Trying to talk myself into CAI and either the SCT or Diablo tuner. So many toys, so little money. [:@]

Old 08-26-2005, 06:21 PM
marlinmon07
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Sudden drop in gas mileage--problem?

he's right about those M3's, i've driven one and they HAUL!!!!
Old 08-26-2005, 06:45 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fragstertx

I've been averaging about 17mpg since I started measuring (after first two fill ups). However, with my last two tanks, I've seen significantly lower mileage--14.5mpg and then 15.5mpg. Should I be concerned about this? My driving habits haven't changed--drive it to work everyday, a little on the weekends, stomp it when the opportunity arises, etc.. Cars performance hasn't changed, either--still hauls *ss. One thing I just thought of is that it has been unreasonably hotter the last few weeks here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX area. Maybe the A/C running more often is the culprit? I have had fewer mornings when I run to work with the windows down and the A/C off because it's just two dang hot!

Don't want to fret over it but you can't be too safe.

Also FYI, I haven't found any gasoline brand to be any better than the others, judging from MPG, unless that difference is measured in tenths of a gallon of in MPG. Cheap gas, name brand, detergent, etc., they all seem to perform the same, which is a good thing, IMO. No performance mods on my ride yet. Trying to talk myself into CAI and either the SCT or Diablo tuner. So many toys, so little money. [:@]

The ac will lower your mileage for sure. Also, the hot humid weather seems to take some power out of the 2005 stang, so you could be driving the car a little harder than normal to get the same acceleration.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Mine did that same thing... then it got cooler here in STL and my milage went back up.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:14 PM
gforceX1

here are some tips for keeping your gas milage high...i average about 18 mpg.

under 35, drive with windows down, A/C off...it should stay pretty comfy...it gets hot in there due to no heat sheild and your sitting right on the cats..

Over 35, roll them windows up, turn on the A/C at the lowest fan setting. You will stay cool, give it a minute or two

Do the speed limit!, for every 5mph you go over it , you lose about 8-10% more fuel. I know its hard...but remember, your in a new car that looks good and goes fast...if you go fast all the time, no one will see you! Excpet the police...just ask my $170 ticket.

Keep the tires at the right pressure, change your oil when its time, no jackrabbit starts, dont idle for longer then a minute and use the recomended 87 unleaded fuel. Avoid drive thurs...shame on you if you eat in your stang!

Also keep your RPM's low...normal driving I stay between 2k and 3500.

Hope that helps a lil...with the current oil market its hard to have fun in my new toy...in ohio we only get about 4-5 months of good weather...so it sucks for me when the prices go up, and I have to park the stang and save it only for important trips...when I want to drive it everyday.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:22 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

GAS Mileage...we get gas mileage??? PROFWZRD that is one B..U..Tifull car you have yourself there!!
Old 08-29-2005, 08:06 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

THANKS Ghost...

MPG... I gave up lookin at that!.... I just put gas in her when she complains she is thirsty!
Old 08-30-2005, 12:44 PM
fragstertx
1st Gear Member

Okay, okay--I wasn't complaining about the overall mileage, I was concerned that something was wrong since it just dropped 2 mpg suddenly. You're probably right about the humidity and heat. I'm good with 15mpg if that's what it is, just don't want to run into a problem if I can avoid it.

Oh, and as for all those driving rules---"yeah, right!". Speed limits are for civics (my former car). My pony likes to run!

Old 09-02-2005, 01:01 AM
LimeStang05
2nd Gear Member

Maybe you're getting screwed at the pump. The EPA just sent someone around here locally to check on the gas stations and found that with the cost of gas today, some were altering their pumps so that it would show that it was pumping more gas than you were actually getting. All the sudden we might have 17 Gallon tanks. This would definitely explain the lower milage. Try a different station and see if it improves. If so, I would report them ! Gas is high enough!
Old 09-10-2005, 01:54 PM
TomsEleanor
1st Gear Member

Dont feel too bad about your mileage fragstertx. I have an 06 GT, and just for the 10 miles to and from work I get 13mpg. Granted, I do commute to DC in some of the worst stop and go traffic any where and she isnt broken in yet(400mi so far). But its still better than the 12 with 91 oct. i got in my cadillac, and infinetly more fun to drive! But i do think that its just your ac thats the culprit for your worsening gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Sudden drop in gas mileage--problem?