Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help...Purchase '08 GT/CS or '11 V6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Eh Stang

Default Help...Purchase '08 GT/CS or '11 V6?

Hello all...I need to make a choice...an '08 GT/CS convert. with 18,000 miles(for $20,000.) or a '2011 V6 pony pkg./premium int. convert(for $28,000.)(Canadian prices). I test drove the V6 with 3.31 gears and it seemed alittle sluggish below 3,000 RPM. Apparently,a tune helps but will the 4.6 GT still push you into the seat harder because of the extra torque? The computer showed 26mpg.@60 mph.@34deg.F. Guess that I'm looking for opinions of which one you folks would buy and why. Thanks, Dan.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:52 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

This is honestly going to be a personal choice. It depends on what you want and looking for. Kinda comparing apples to oranges here since you don't state your wants or need. A v6 will never sound and feel like a v8, but again it's what YOU want. There are plenty of people that love either because it fits their wants. If you elaborate, people can give you better pro's and con's or what knowledge they know about each vehicle.

Personally I like the V8's. Even though the 2011 V6 can be quite alluring, I'd rather save for the 2011+ GT.

Last edited by alkemist; 03-22-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I would assume that being on here and talking about oooomph below 3,000, you want performance and dependability/value.

I would say go for the GT. Its $8,000 cheaper, has endless opportunities for aftermarket performance, and will sound much better stock or with a little exhaust set up. I've owned both, although I never owned the 305hp V6, and let me just tell you: the GT is definetly the way to go!

Besides, for the $8000 you save, through a Whipple or a Turbo on there and smoke the 5.0s!!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Eh Stang

Originally Posted by alkemist
This is honestly going to be a personal choice. It depends on what you want and looking for. Kinda comparing apples to oranges here since you don't state your wants or need. A v6 will never sound and feel like a v8, but again it's what YOU want. There are plenty of people that love either because it fits their wants. If you elaborate, people can give you better pro's and con's or what knowledge they know about each vehicle.

Personally I like the V8's. Even though the 2011 V6 can be quite alluring, I'd rather save for the 2011+ GT.
Thanks for the replies...Not sure what I want...there are pro/con to each car(which is what I'm trying to find out). It will be our regular driver(except for winter)and I'm retired,so I don't commute anymore...I like low-end torque,but not sure if a V6 with tune will be enough. The GT will be harder on fuel,but by how much?(I don't drive hard). I didn't think 26 mpg on the hwy was that great for the V6. Do the 2008 GT automatics have the same reliability as 2011?.. Dan
Old 03-22-2011, 06:42 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

get the GT/CS.
the low end power you will not get in the V6 with a tune.
and the v6 will never sound like the GT.
so many people have got the V6 and later regret it and say, "man i should've got the GT."
no GT owners regret getting the GT and say " i wish i got the V6."

Mustangs are not great for gas mileage. if you want MPG's you should get a honda.
to make use of the HP in the V6 you gotta rev it high and keep it there
the GT will plant you in your seat off the line much more than the v6.

in this case, its a no brainer, the GT/CS is cheaper and its a better Mustang.
and being its a CS, its more rare.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:51 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
get the GT/CS.
the low end power you will not get in the V6 with a tune.
and the v6 will never sound like the GT.
so many people have got the V6 and later regret it and say, "man i should've got the GT."
no GT owners regret getting the GT and say " i wish i got the V6."

Mustangs are not great for gas mileage. if you want MPG's you should get a honda.
to make use of the HP in the V6 you gotta rev it high and keep it there
the GT will plant you in your seat off the line much more than the v6.

in this case, its a no brainer, the GT/CS is cheaper and its a better Mustang.
and being its a CS, its more rare.

Get the GT, you won't be disappointed!!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:26 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Sounds like you want a GT then. Haven't test drove any 2011's but the GT will give you the seat of the pants feel. The v6 torque just won't be able to pull it off, even the 2011 stock.

What I like about the 2010+ are the new amenities and some of the redesign of the interior but I'm not a fan of the exterior. Though you can get sync, console just looks better, more refined, minor things like that.

I have an automatic and MPG isn't all that to write home about. Granted I didn't buy a GT for gas mileage, but with the rising cost in fuel, some people may start to feel it. I have 4.10 gears and average 18 mixed driving. 22 highway and 13 city. MPG drop between stock gear to 4.10 was minimal. This is my daily driver, so I don't drive hard the majority of the time, but I do when I feel like it.

As for reliability, no issues here so far. As long as the previous owner took good care and maintenance.

If you do get an automatic, would recommend getting a custom tune (with CAI). It will cut out the throttle lag and give you a much better experience.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:03 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

and seeing that you posted this in the GT section and not the V6 section,
my bet is that you will get way more votes for the GT.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:11 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

lol guess he has what he wants in mind already.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Eh Stang

LOL...I thought this was the S197 General Discussion...didn't see the "GT" in front of "S197"..Thanks,guys...I'll try posting in V6 section..Dan

Quick Reply: Help...Purchase '08 GT/CS or '11 V6?