Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Catless + CEL

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 01:28 PM
SwampEagle

Default Catless + CEL

I've been searching and reading the forum for about 2 hours now. Nothing really definitive stands out. It seems most threads I've found are addressing a specific issue. If there is a specific thread I can get to, a link would be great.

I live in the St. Louis Metro area (Read: across the river in IL but close)

I bought a 2006 GT last week. When I was test driving it, I noticed it had a CEL. The car looks and sounds great. (One of the reasons I bought it). When I asked the dealer about the CEL, they said it was probably because it had an X-pipe + Flowmasters and no cats. They gave me the entire original exhaust assembly with cats. I was fine with that and planned to have some exhaust work done if I fail the IL state inspection. Not all areas here do inspections. Strange, huh?

It also has a Roush CAI. (Unknown if it is a tune-less or requires a tune)

Here are my questions:

1. Will putting the cats back on get rid of the CEL, eventually?

2. What other options are available for getting rid of the CEL.

3. If I pay to have the cats put back on, will a decent muffler shop be able to retain my X-pipe and Flowmasters? Or, will I have to buy a new X-Pipe?

Again, I love the sound of the car. I would not be disappointed if it were a little quieter. While I love the sound, it would still sound good and be easier on 'other ears' in my house.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Old 04-06-2011, 08:33 PM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

In short,

1. yes

2. Get an SCT programmer from AmericanMuscle.com and have the turn the rear o2's off.

3. They should be able to. It really depends on how the xpipe is made. For it to work like stock, the converters need to be in front of the rear o2's. If they can't do that, see #2.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:51 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Or you could sell the offroad x pipe and put that funding towards an x pipe w/ cats.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:10 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

get the programmer with a tune for the CAI and they will also shut the rear 02s off
Old 04-07-2011, 07:28 AM
SwampEagle

Thanks guys. I could probably sell the whole works and the original pipes and cats and get close to a new system. Probably one that is more my style. It hurts my eyes to type this (shudder) but maybe a smidge quieter. I have time to figure it out.

You folks have some beautiful 'Stangs.

Thanks again,
Matt
Old 04-08-2011, 09:56 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SwampEagle
I've been searching and reading the forum for about 2 hours now. Nothing really definitive stands out. It seems most threads I've found are addressing a specific issue. If there is a specific thread I can get to, a link would be great.

I live in the St. Louis Metro area (Read: across the river in IL but close)

I bought a 2006 GT last week. When I was test driving it, I noticed it had a CEL. The car looks and sounds great. (One of the reasons I bought it). When I asked the dealer about the CEL, they said it was probably because it had an X-pipe + Flowmasters and no cats. They gave me the entire original exhaust assembly with cats. I was fine with that and planned to have some exhaust work done if I fail the IL state inspection. Not all areas here do inspections. Strange, huh?

It also has a Roush CAI. (Unknown if it is a tune-less or requires a tune)

Here are my questions:

1. Will putting the cats back on get rid of the CEL, eventually?
Yes2. What other options are available for getting rid of the CEL.
I did a lot of searching prior to my install. From what I gather just turning CEL (rear o2) off with tuner does not work like previous 99-04 mustangs. Yes, the light will go off but it will not pass emissions. <--from what I read... I will tell you in 8 months lol. You can get the 02 sensor raisers (brenspeed carries I believe, catted hi flow x pipe and tune to pass. <-- read that online not sure if it works. I have catless X pipe - don't be lazy just swap once a year There is a dyno shop by me that says for $500 on the dyno he can make car pass. I'm not spending that though.

3. If I pay to have the cats put back on, will a decent muffler shop be able to retain my X-pipe and Flowmasters? Or, will I have to buy a new X-Pipe?T
Possible, worth it? doubt it
Again, I love the sound of the car. I would not be disappointed if it were a little quieter. While I love the sound, it would still sound good and be easier on 'other ears' in my house.

Thanks in advance,
Matt