Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Did I just get a lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Did I just get a lemon?

I know of a female who has an identical car as mine except the red interior and she claims her car whistles. Anyone ever heard of this?
Old 09-08-2005, 05:42 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: madmike

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: jaxbelleil

SO my car need a new gas tank, New Shaker 500, and New WinShild Wipers, and a new plastic bolt in the trunk for the holder (I have no I dea what that is), but my car is driving perfectly again finaly. So I toock the car on a road trip (just me and the car), and I toped her out a few times.I don't think Ford builds Quality Products, I really don't think I am going to buy another mustang in the future, I love the cheap power, but I don't want a car that's going to stay in the garage every day. But, I think I just may have got a lemon.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17396/7AE60A44DE7A47D4AFCE61F2D3D2C22C.jpg[/IMG]
It's also the first year model run of a NEW car from the ground up. Most first year runs of ANY car have problems, even the imports. My Stang had a few hiccups when I first bought it new. Leaking rear main seal, cracked power steering pulley, squeaky outer trim panel. Those got fixed and now 90K later, not a single problem. Just regular maintenance.

If you're concerned about problems, don't ever buy the first year of a totaly redesigned model, there will be problems. I don't care what you buy.
Derf00, you mentioned a squeaky outer trim panel, did the noise originate from the rear of the car, like it was coming from the trunk? I've got a squeak from that area that's driving me nuts!
Nope, mine was the front trim that is on the passenger side windshield. It wasn't popped in all the way on the body clips. I've had that rear squeak you're talking about too. Check all the brackets at the rear wheels like the brake line to body clip that keeps the hose out of the way. If that's loose it will squeak whenever you go over speed bumps. Also, fold your rear seats down. You'll see a couple of bolts that hold humped piece in place. If those are loose or stripped you will get play in that rear dash piece that could also squeak. Mine turned out to be a loose brake line to body clip.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:26 AM
madmike
1st Gear Member

Def00, thanks for the info, it's much appreciated. I'll have a look this weekend.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:22 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

I know of a female who has an identical car as mine except the red interior and she claims her car whistles. Anyone ever heard of this?
That's the guys on the sidewalk whistling as she drives by.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:41 PM
Slater126

ORIGINAL: Herknav

What part of "cheap power" didn't you understand? Of COURSE there are problems... squeaks, skips, shimmys, and shakes... but that is the Mustang's mantra! But even though your tunk didn't work right... and your stereo skipped... and your wipers sucked... you STILL got a 300HP car for cheap!

And didn't you WRECK your car right after you got it???
Yes, he sure did. Bashed it up real good by the sound of it...

https://mustangforums.com/m_626184/m.../tm.htm#626184

Not saying the car's a Toyota but the new 'Stangs are built fairly well. Won't buy another Ford? I've got a better idea -- slow down!
Old 09-15-2005, 07:25 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

To be honest she is a looker. One day I swear I'm going to sniff her seats when she isn't looking.
ORIGINAL: GT Premi

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

That's the guys on the sidewalk whistling as she drives by.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Damn I want to add that a co-worker drove mine yesterday he owns a 1995 Cobra. Anyway he was really smiling when he came back but the main thing he kept saying was how smooth it was. He said his ride roughs him up but said my ride felt like quality. Anyway only thing that I have had wrong with mine was the cold start rattle which was two bolts that weren't put in at the factory. They were under the car between the transmission and ? Also a check engine light when I dogged the living hell out of it out of work and that was reset and I have never seen it again. Finally the stereo which I'm just living with. It skips every once in a while but it sounds great. I have no regrets on my wife buying this car. It has changed my life and hers , Ha ha Ha! If you take my mustang away it would hurt me badly and curtail my quality of life.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11318/370014E7537D47A4B4A35C49F5CB5281.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-15-2005, 08:21 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Jeez. the guy asks a simple question and everyone treats him like he's an idiot for not knowing beforehand that mustangs are junk. I don't care if you did get 300HP for cheap. When you buy a new car, you have certain expectations of quality. The mustang does not live up to that and they never have......"quality is job 1" my ***.

I know everyone is busy getting off on the looks of the new mustang, and they sure can look cool but would it kill you to just be nice and tell the guy that they all have problems? He is obviously disappointed and who can blame him? I would be pissed off too if I had just dropped that much coin on a brand new car only to find out that Ford didn't even bother to put it together correctly or test it properly to get the bugs out.

Same thing happened to me when I bought my car. It is a mustang and therefore, a piece of crap as far as quality goes. It has never let me down or died on me but there have been little things since day 1 that **** me off. Welcome to the wonderful world of mustangs
Old 09-16-2005, 01:31 AM
silverado
1st Gear Member

Rememer Steve Austin?

[IMG]local://upfiles/21157/1EF97961A5AF4AC490555614DB7025E6.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-27-2005, 11:24 PM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

I suppose one has to put this in perspective. I've owned a lot of Fords, many of them Mustangs and have performed the majority of maintenance on all of them out of warranty. They all sqeeked and rattled to some degree, something I addressed with silicone spray, tightening fasteners or that cure all....banging on the dash with my fist and swearing. Overall, most delivered service in excess of 100K miles, a few well in excess.

I'll fix the nuisance problems vs. elevating them to the status some on this forum have suggested. We all have choices and if any of you believed Bill Ford gives a S!@#t about your long term satisfaction, think again. That is why Ford brags about those JD Powers awards claiming the most quality in the first 10 minutes of ownership or some other meaningless metric.

Overall I have enjoyed most of my Fords but I don't recommend them to people who feel a skip on their CD player, a rattle in the dash or a faulty windshield washer would ruin their day or motivate them to trade it in. To those people, I wholeheartedly recommend a Toyota or a Honda, two companies that seemingly can please the vast majority of their owners. I will be equally pleased when I see them fading in my rear view mirror.

Quick Reply: Did I just get a lemon?