8.8" Rear Upgrade Options - MustangForums.com


GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Crazy
Posts: 273
Default 8.8" Rear Upgrade Options

What are some options I should look into when upgrading the rear on a supercharged 2006 Mustang GT?

I'm being told that the Eaton 8.8" is the way to go unless I go the 9" route.

I don't think I'll ever need the 9", but I would like the rear to hold up to around 700-800 HP when I decide to upgrade my stock engine block.

Would you recommend I go with the 31-spline axles versus the lesser 28's?
2006gtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
Simon1
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 4,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006gtmike View Post
What are some options I should look into when upgrading the rear on a supercharged 2006 Mustang GT?

I'm being told that the Eaton 8.8" is the way to go unless I go the 9" route.

I don't think I'll ever need the 9", but I would like the rear to hold up to around 700-800 HP when I decide to upgrade my stock engine block.

Would you recommend I go with the 31-spline axles versus the lesser 28's?
I would choose this one:

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...troitTruetrac/

This is what I have:

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...cker/index.htm

I would not buy a locker again for a street car. I would buy the top LSD. Noisier than a standard clutch type LSD, but very durable.


Any 8.8 ring and pinion will do fine.

Your 31 spline axles that already in your car are ok to pretty big HP numbers.

Maybe a rear girdle.

Have the axle tubes welded if you pull the rear off the car.
Simon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
parchisi
3rd Gear Member
 
parchisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico...FML
Posts: 599
Default

Yup, the 8.8 can handle a lot of power if built right. Aftermarket differential of your choice, depending on how you want to use the car, weld the axle tubes, aftermarket 31 spline axles, and a girdle. That shoule be strong enough to handle most anything you can throw at it.
parchisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Crazy
Posts: 273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parchisi View Post
Yup, the 8.8 can handle a lot of power if built right. Aftermarket differential of your choice, depending on how you want to use the car, weld the axle tubes, aftermarket 31 spline axles, and a girdle. That shoule be strong enough to handle most anything you can throw at it.
What aftermarket 31-spline axles would you recommend? Moser?

Which rear differential cover? I like the LPW Cover.
2006gtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
parchisi
3rd Gear Member
 
parchisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico...FML
Posts: 599
Default

Moser or Superior. I don't know much about covers. Browse around on summit and see what they got.
parchisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
Simon1
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 4,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006gtmike View Post
What aftermarket 31-spline axles would you recommend? Moser?

Which rear differential cover? I like the LPW Cover.
Leave your axles alone. Never heard of someone breaking one of ours from racing.

If you are getting down into the 9's, then yeah, look at a bigger axle and differential.
Simon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
parchisi
3rd Gear Member
 
parchisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico...FML
Posts: 599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon1 View Post
Leave your axles alone. Never heard of someone breaking one of ours from racing.

If you are getting down into the 9's, then yeah, look at a bigger axle and differential.
I dont' know what he's going to be doing with that 800 hp, but if its launching at the strip with some slicks...then I'd say definitely beef up the rear end....among other things. If he's just going to be screwing around on street tires on the street, then its probably not necessary.
parchisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Crazy
Posts: 273
Default

I'd be running it occasionally down the 1/4 on slicks and on all-season tires on the street.

So Moser or Superior axles are pretty much the same?

The rear cover I was interested in the Ford Racing, LPW and Shelby versions, but I don't know which is better. I've heard of people having trouble with some aftermarket covers leaking, but that seems like it's more of an installation problem.

And Simon1...where did you purchase your Eaton upgraded rear from?
2006gtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #9
Simon1
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 4,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parchisi View Post
I dont' know what he's going to be doing with that 800 hp, but if its launching at the strip with some slicks...then I'd say definitely beef up the rear end....among other things. If he's just going to be screwing around on street tires on the street, then its probably not necessary.
He's not going to be making 700-800 with that blower. But if he switches blowers and does, I would suggest bigger and aftermarket axles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006gtmike View Post
I'd be running it occasionally down the 1/4 on slicks and on all-season tires on the street.

So Moser or Superior axles are pretty much the same?

The rear cover I was interested in the Ford Racing, LPW and Shelby versions, but I don't know which is better. I've heard of people having trouble with some aftermarket covers leaking, but that seems like it's more of an installation problem.

And Simon1...where did you purchase your Eaton upgraded rear from?
It's a Detroit locker. DOn't remember whereI got. Been a few years. If you have an auto tranny, I would consider it, but with the manual tranny, ti horrible on the street. Clunks, clanks, bangs and shutters in parking lots. Screws up cornering when driving spirited.

At the drag strip and in a straight line the car hooks pretty good though.

Get the gear driven LSD from Auburn instead. They are noisy but should hold the power you need.
Simon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Crazy
Posts: 273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon1 View Post
He's not going to be making 700-800 with that blower. But if he switches blowers and does, I would suggest bigger and aftermarket axles.

So what is the max power the Whipple I have will put out on a built motor?


It's a Detroit locker. DOn't remember whereI got. Been a few years. If you have an auto tranny, I would consider it, but with the manual tranny, ti horrible on the street. Clunks, clanks, bangs and shutters in parking lots. Screws up cornering when driving spirited.

At the drag strip and in a straight line the car hooks pretty good though.

Get the gear driven LSD from Auburn instead. They are noisy but should hold the power you need.
The transmission in my car is an automatic.
Do you know who manufactures the Ford Racing differentials?
2006gtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My idea of Best Bang for Your Buck Car. What do you guys think? mungodrums 5.0L GT S550 Tech 7 10-07-2015 04:01 AM
I took delivery on my 2015 GT yesterday Roush05 5.0L GT S550 Tech 11 09-10-2015 12:23 PM
The Future of my GT vintageaion 2005-2014 Mustangs 2 09-08-2015 10:45 AM
Boston S85 Speakers - Pair Doogie65 Parts For Sale 0 09-06-2015 02:55 PM
Best Extreme Performance Summer Tires for our Mustangs? M3hunter S197 Handling Section 0 09-05-2015 03:42 PM


Tags
2006, 800hp, 88, 99, aftermarket, axle, bracing, end, gt, lsd, mustang, rear, tranny, tubes, upgrade, upgraded, welding

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.