Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Still uncertain on the 05....

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 01:55 AM
bjletch40

Default Still uncertain on the 05....

I'm planning on getting a Black GT premium as soon as the next one hits a local lot but im starting to have second thoughts about since my buddy's 2 month old Auto v6 stang is having so many problems. I know every company has their fair share of lemons but how many problems do you expect to have when you bring a mustang home. The problems on his v6 consisted of replacing the master brake cylinder, new shaker radio, replacement grill (fell off, never heard of this happening before), door lock trim fell off, and some minor stuff like replacing 2 cracked seat levers. Car has less than 2000 miles on it and was just wondering if i get a stang should i be prepared for stuff like this or not. He's planning on trading it in and getting a new F-150 for it. Anyone have any thoughts before i hand out 25 big ones for a GT? And just incase anyone was wondering.... This is going to be my daily driver while i build up a 97 T/A that i've already put 160,000 miles on
Old 08-29-2005, 02:21 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Still uncertain on the 05....

If you are trying to decide between an F-150 and a Stang... and the fit and finish is what might hold you back... get the F-150. I am sure you will enjoy being one of the faceless masses with this truck.. and you won't have to worry about all the "problems" that come with owning the most affordable 300 hp car available...
Old 08-29-2005, 02:40 AM
bjletch40

eh the 300 horses are not really whats making me get the car. It just seems to be a well built all around car that could be an excellent daily driver with decent speed and promising upgrades. I've got a 01 Supercrew right now that is my DD but the city mileage is killing me.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:41 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

Get the Stang. Every car has some problems, but not every car is this much fun.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:42 AM
OkieNGa
1st Gear Member

Honestly...........with '06 just around the corner, wait until that model year comes out. With every new model a manufacturer produces there are ALWAYS issues, I have had 2 problems that were easily fixed. The issues I dealt with were resolved by Ford later in the production year, which will carry over to the 06. The short of it, the 06 should be a lil more 'polished' than the 05 and have fewer issues.

BTW, yes ur friend got a lemon..........IMHO
Old 08-29-2005, 02:35 PM
bjletch40

Good point! The dealer said the 06 should be on the lot by mid sept. The dealer also said that nothing at all was changed with the car and its the same in every way... and i should go ahead and get an 05 they already had on the lot
Old 08-29-2005, 03:54 PM
gforceX1

why bother with a stang if its gonna be your daily car? if your so concerned about how much you will spend, if it will fall apart, and it dont get the best gas mileage...and you dont care about the power...why oh why bother? go get a toyota corrolla or something? honesly out the the 190k 05's being built, there are prolly only 1k-4k cars with major issues...as I mentioned in another post, Every new model car will have its issues...the cobalt has its, so did the 300M and so will the charger and the GTO. Its all about what you need personally. No way would I get a stang for my everyday car. Its very limited in use, its just made to look good and go fast as hell. Not take the kids to soccer practice, grab groceries or car pool the office mates to work. In fact, I didnt, lol, my everyday car is a 2000 toyota corolla....boring to drive...but better to beat the hell out of a paid for 13k (when it was new) car then a 30K stang. And it helps save gas money...for more fun time in the stang!
Old 08-29-2005, 04:37 PM
bjletch40

well the T/A has been my daily for the last 160,000 miles and the only thing needing changing was a starter solonoid and a window motor. Since i used to go get groceries and carry some people in the back (with the useless rear seats) i think i can live with the size of the stang as a DD. Another thing is.... After reading up on a lot of the 05 performance parts that will be coming out, i think i'm going to scrap the LT1 stroker idea and just build up one hell of a GT. The more i read up on this car the more i like it.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:05 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bjletch40

I'm planning on getting a Black GT premium as soon as the next one hits a local lot but im starting to have second thoughts about since my buddy's 2 month old Auto v6 stang is having so many problems. I know every company has their fair share of lemons but how many problems do you expect to have when you bring a mustang home. The problems on his v6 consisted of replacing the master brake cylinder, new shaker radio, replacement grill (fell off, never heard of this happening before), door lock trim fell off, and some minor stuff like replacing 2 cracked seat levers. Car has less than 2000 miles on it and was just wondering if i get a stang should i be prepared for stuff like this or not. He's planning on trading it in and getting a new F-150 for it. Anyone have any thoughts before i hand out 25 big ones for a GT? And just incase anyone was wondering.... This is going to be my daily driver while i build up a 97 T/A that i've already put 160,000 miles on
Problems, problems, problems. Its like that with every new car.
There's always going to be a small percentage of bad apples. And because thats all you hear about, it makes it seem like every car that rolls off a dealer's lot is going to have the same issues.
You never hear anybody talk about the good things. I mean, when did you ever hear someone say "I love my Shaker 500. This system performs really well" or "I when I drove my car, the Check Engine light did not come on." or "Today, I drove my car to and from work and it ran flawlessly."
I'm sure there are a lot more problem free 2005 Stangs, out there, that greatly out number the bad ones so you just have to be objective about it.
Before I got my Stang, I read the posts to see what issues people were having, but that didn't keep me from getting a GT.
I've had mine for almost 2 months and, at 1800 miles, I haven't had any issues.
When I got my 350Z, back in '03, I remember reading the 350Z forums about the same things.
Again, its usually one person who starts the post and another would respond with a similar issue, but for the majority who respond they say that they are problem free.
After 2 1/2 years and 30000+ miles, it still runs like brand spanking new.
So to help you decide, I say JUST DO IT!!![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 08-29-2005, 10:04 PM
bjletch40

i'm already going to do it! seems like the mod bug has already hit before i even got the car. I understand about the only hearing bad stuff thing, its just that his v6 stang was the first 05 that i've seen in person and it just seems to have constant problems. anyway, i drove by the dealership at least 3 times today[8D]

Quick Reply: Still uncertain on the 05....