Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dodge forums why all the hate on the 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:06 PM
knightryder
1st Gear Member

As a kid growing up in the 60's and 70's we always had mopars, mostly Dodges and Plymouths and the ocasional Chrysler, so natually I was a big mopar fan. Despite my love for all things mopar I always had an admiration for the mustangs. Earlier this year my wife and I were looking to buy a fun car to drive when we can't be on our motorcycles. Took a hard look at the camaros and challengers but after adding the positives and negatives of each brand the mustang came out on top for us. That being said it was sure nice to have such a fine assortment of cars to choose from.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:22 PM
snaf2u
2nd Gear Member

I am without a doubt one of the very oldest people on this forum. I do challenge the idea that the older generation values "brands" more than anyone else.

I have seen much on the Challenger forums putting down the Mustang but I have seen just as much of the same about the Challenger here. I have seen many comments about the "pigs" and other names used when posting about them here.

I appreciate a well done car of any make or model. I do have a slight bias toward american muscle since that was all there was when I was young but have seen some awesome imports on the streets and strips. I don`t even like the "ricer" comments I see on the forums although I do understand them.

The Mustang and Challenger are both wonders to behold in thier respective classes. The Chally is, after all a full sized sedan and certainly is not going to compete with smaller and lighter cars either on the strip or road course with both in stock form. Of course, once the modders get ahold of any car all bets are off.

To get this post over with let me say that it is not the "real car guys" who make the idiotic putdowns of other brands just to sound big and tough on some forum. Those who do sound like the same children who took the ball and went home when they lost.

Ignore those little minds and enjoy and appreciate the freedoms we have to make our cars, our cars, while it still lasts.

Last edited by snaf2u; 05-19-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:32 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by boomee
have you all ridden in the challanger srt8 392
No and for 44 grand I wouldn't even think too, like I said thats a 302 boss and then some.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by snaf2u
I appreciate a well done car of any make or model. I do have a slight bias toward american muscle since that was all there was when I was young but have seen some awesome imports on the streets and strips. I don`t even like the "ricer" comments I see on the forums although I do understand them.

The Mustang and Challenger are both wonders to behold in thier respective classes. The Chally is, after all a full sized sedan and certainly is not going to compete with smaller and lighter cars either on the strip or road course with both in stock form. Of course, once the modders get ahold of any car all bets are off.
ricer is a term used to describe someone who puts useless and tasteless modifications on any car, it was originally for the japanese import crowd (it was big on slow honda civics) but there is enough on all makes and models that it's just a blanket term for anyone doing modifications that make most people cringe. but it typically isn't used to describe a well done car, WRX, Evo, GTR, 350z those cars are typically quick and (well GTR is always fast) dont have a bunch of ugly things done to them with big fart cans and giant useless wings. There are some fast honda civics out there, but they are few and far between.

The challenger isn't a sedan, it is a coupe, the charger is the sedan, but yes, same chassis so only difference is number of doors.

I have co-workers that own camaros and dodges and we give each other some ribbing but I know the camaro owner appreciates my new 5.0, he said likes it complimented the color, interior, sound of the exhaust, i told him he can drive mine if i can drive his, he has a 2010 automatic, magna supercharger. I like the camaro too, i never took one for a test drive, i probably should have, but i think i would have still gone for the 5.0.

Last edited by Mishri; 05-19-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

To reply to the rice comment, rice stands for Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements. Thus, the stickers, the huge wings, etc. Those are the ricers that people refer to.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:21 PM
snaf2u
2nd Gear Member

Ricer

Like I said, I don`t like it but I understand it, which means I also know what it means. It has become a very negative term here and I guess I just would rather stay positive most of the time.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:14 PM
mcate
2nd Gear Member

I'm 51, & have been a loyal Ford owner since 1985. I will admit that I absolutely hate imports, particularly Japanese cars. Sorry, it's just my age & upbringing I guess.
When GM & MOPAR guys start bashing Fords, I just point out that Ford stood on its own two legs during the recession, & didn't need American taxpayer dollars to keep afloat. It's all in good fun when I'm arguing with owners of other American cars.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:24 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I have rented some Dodge Chargers recently (business travel).

* fuel door button hidden inside the driver door panel map pocket...wtf..took me 10 minutes to find that at the gas station

* radio control buttons on the steering wheel. And by "on the steering wheel", I mean around the back side of the steering wheel where nobody can see them, much less read them know which buttons to push

* AM/FM radio button that doesn't toggle AM/FM. After being pushed, it asks you if you really want to toggle, then it toggles. WTF...like its MS Windows asking me if I really meant to push the delete button. WATCH OUT!!! there are talk radio stations on AM!!!

* A/C controls more than arm's reach from the driver's seat. Had to bend forward to reach.

* Door panel farther away than elbow reach. Couldn't wrest m my left arm on the driver door panel. Guess this car was made for 6'5" people.

* Biggest blind spots I've ever seen (worse than a Mustang with blocked out quarter panels windows)

* Auto tranny shifter that requires attention when shifting from P to D. It very easily goes to N instead. WTF with all this down, across, down again, across, down, but not too far down, etc stuff

* Windshield wiper controls obstructed by the steering wheel. Couldn't see the controls for the steering wheel. Operating the wipers or washing the windshield was hit & miss experimentation.

It was by far the worse interior design I've ever seen. And that's saying a lot, because this car wasn't even made by GM (burn!).
Old 05-20-2011, 08:02 AM
mcate
2nd Gear Member

I've noticed some V6(?) Dodges, with single exhaust, that have 2 cutouts in the rear bumper. I mean, come on, couldn't they make a special bumper for single exhaust?
Old 05-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by Roush05
To reply to the rice comment, rice stands for Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements. Thus, the stickers, the huge wings, etc. Those are the ricers that people refer to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_burner

origins go back to the korean war, no it didn't come from race inspired cosmetic enhancements it was basically saying the koreans ran off rice, the people themselves were rice burners. and in the 1970s is really when the asian import vehicles were starting to be called rice burners. I remember growing up in the 80s hearing people calling them rice burners, in the 90s is when i started hearing ricer, and then eventually ricer was implied towards any vehicle with stupid modifications.

Last edited by Mishri; 05-20-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Dodge forums why all the hate on the 5.0