Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

06 gt running like crap

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:53 PM
chays446
2nd Gear Member

Default 06 gt running like crap

On cold starts, the motor idles rough "sounds like after market cams" then when i take off it will hesitate/misfire until about 3,000 rpm's then it will take off normal. Most of the time at around 1900 rpm's and it will buck back and fourth. It seems to run fine on the highway...I've changed the plugs,fuel filter and 5 COP's, same result. This all started after i took my upper intake off to get to the top two bolts on the bell housing. So I'm thinking i might have a small leak "i reused the gaskets". It's also throwing a p0605 "rom error" and a p2197 "stuck lean" code... bad PCM? Fuel pump? 02 sensor? intake leak?................any idea's
Old 06-01-2011, 01:10 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Probably a vacuum leak from reusing the old gasket or not properly torquing things. Or maybe you forgot to reinstall a vacuum hose.

K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid). It's highly unlikely that this cropped up unrelated to the work that you did.

Step #1 - Buy yourself a can of starter fluid.

Step #2 - Start the engine and pop the hood.

Step #3 - Spray the starter fluid in very short bursts (1 second) with that straw, close to the intake in various areas. You're hunting for the leak. If you hear the engine rev up, you've found yourself a leak. This gives you an idea of what to do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYa8rcHeN3A

They used carb cleaner. That works as well. Starter fluid is much more volatile and the engine will rev more when getting hit with it, which is why I use it. Easier to find small leaks. Just be more careful .

Step #4 - Fix the leak .

PS> I don't think your stupid, it's just a saying.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:10 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

I think you have answered your own question....intake leak. I would never "reuse" an intake gasket myself. Also you may want to make sure that you have not cracked the intake manifold.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:27 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The intake gaskets on these cars are made to be reused. Do you have a scan tool that you can read the fuel trims with? That would really help diagnose the problem.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:58 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
The intake gaskets on these cars are made to be reused. Do you have a scan tool that you can read the fuel trims with? That would really help diagnose the problem.
Even so, it would be a great coincidence for something like this to occur and be unrelated to motors changes that came directly before the problem started. Not saying it can't happen but . . .
Old 06-02-2011, 11:53 PM
chays446
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Well today i took the intake off and re-tightened with new gaskets, changed the oil, put my extra set of injectors,spark plugs and cops in. Then i reset the computer, and drove for 40 miles until the cel came back on. I had it scanned again and now i have 3 codes instead of 2 ................p0605"pcm rom error",p0152 "bank 2 sensor 1 high voltage" and p2197 "stuck lean bank 2 sensor 1". So i guess i at least need an o2 sensor "but its driving a Lot better than it was"
Old 06-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I doubt you need an O2 sensor. I would look elsewhere.

Use the suggestion of starting fluid or carb cleaner.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:23 AM
chays446
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
I doubt you need an O2 sensor. I would look elsewhere.

Use the suggestion of starting fluid or carb cleaner.
Well i used propane "before and after"to check for leaks and got nothing.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:54 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

I completely understand wanting to do it yourself and all. But with those 3 codes, and they are all going to be related, it would be best to take it somewhere you trust locally, and have them diagnose it. That cost is minimal, and should allow you to take care of the issue with less frustration caused headaches.

With that said, if you havent already done so, make sure all connectors are back together. And check the pins inside the connectors you messed with to make sure they did not get bent. Also, its kinda weird, but true, the POSITIONING of wiring can cause havoc with electrical signals. Every wire that has voltage going through it, leaches/radiates,/etc, something that resembles a magnetic field. If two wires had been moved closer together, those fields can interfere with the signals being sent to the PCM. With an altered signal being seen by the PCM, it could easily make the car run funny. I've seen it happen with ignition wires on a Focus, and heard of others with wiring in harnesses. It's a long shot, but something to think about.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:33 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I still say it's too much of a coincidence that it happened after you removed the intake manifold and reinstalled. Even more so now that you resealed it and the problem got better (but not all the way fixed).

Quick Reply: 06 gt running like crap