Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Spring Toy Shopping

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:47 PM
tobaGT

Default Spring Toy Shopping

I'm shopping for a new toy for spring, and my decision is Sports Car or Muscle Car. I've narrowed down the muscle candidate to the Mustang, so looking for some insight from some other owners, read about real life experiences with them, etc. I will be buying new, likely a factory order since dealers (at least around here) don't seem to stock the kind of stuff I like.

Up here in Canada the option packages are a little different, but pricing out the 2012 model year, it was a piece of cake to get the car I wanted. 401A, Brembos, Shaker 1000, pedestal spoiler. Job done. The spoiler I need because wifey requires this, and allowing her to pick the color of the car being the other requirement. I can live with her conditions, because none of them involve mechanical requirements opposed to my own. Talking to the dealer this morning, he can't get me what I want in a 2012 (and the big rebate that comes with it). Bummer.

For 2013, to get Brembo's, you also have to get the 3.73 rear end, and I will spend time on the highway with this car, so this becomes a tougher decision. But they do have the Brake Performance Package. Okay, upgraded pads, bigger wheels/tires, not bad. But the asking price for this upgrade is the same as what the 2012 Brembo brakes were, but you're not getting Brembo's.

So here are my questions:

1. Has anybody seen/driven this Performance Brake Package and can tell me if it's any good? Or just stick with the base brakes, go with the California Special package for the appearance upgrades, add the shaker 1000 and call it a day?

2. They didn't have any 5.0 manual trans cars on the lot, so I went for a quick spin in a '10 4.6 5MT they had on the used lot. Didn't like the engine. Sounded good, felt tired. But really liked the clutch feel and shift feel. Can I expect a similar feel on the newer 5.0/6MT cars?

3. How are the 2013 optional Recaro's for long-haul (2+ hours) comfort? I'm going for a good mix of highway comfort and performance when I get to a good road or the couple times per summer I'll track the car.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Wish I had a good answer for you. I don't have the performance brake package or the Recaro seats. I will say I love my 2012. I do have the 3.73 rear though and love it. Worst comes to worst you can get what they have that's close to what you want and upgrade later. Welcome to MF and you can always post this same thing in the Tech section as it will get more attention. Good luck you have a tough decision.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:05 PM
tobaGT

I'm certainly not opposed to upgrading after the fact. The 2012 was really attractive because of how cheap the Brembo upgrade was, with no drawback whatsoever. Upgrading brake pads/rotors is cheap, but upgrading to Brembo calipers after the fact, not so much. I am actually leaning towards the CS. I think if even the performance brake package was available on it, I wouldn't have a decision to make. But every review I've ready sites the basic GT brakes as the one weak point, which is why I'm kinda hung up on that issue.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

I would have to agree with the weak brake statement. I've mentioned that to my wife and I'm looking at a brake upgrade. I may take the cheaper route first and upgrade the pads to start with. You have a hard choice. Look forward to pics once you choose. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:00 AM
tobaGT

So it seems after a week of research that the 3.73 gears make fuel economy worse...but actually bring it down to about the same as my daily driver Subaru Legacy Spec.B...so Brembo package it is.

Further, after a week of research and decisions, and I'm actually pondering stretching my budget for the Boss 302, and going all-performance. Plus, the Boss is something truly special that I'm not too likely to see another one of out on the street. But I can't seem to find the answer to two questions:

1. I know the optional Recaro package on the 302 is a manual seat, does anybody know if the basic seat is a power seat? In all the manual seats I've ever sat in, I have trouble finding a comfortable position, the locks always seem to be just slightly out from where I'd be comfortable.

2. It LOOKS like track apps are included on the 2013, just wanna make sure they're there. It's a Boss after all, and will get some track action.

It might sound silly, but the one drawback to the Boss is the rims, those wagon wheels are truly awful, and I don't want the Laguna Seca model with those pretty split-5-spoke wheels. While I used to put aftermarket rims on everything, I'm kinda past that point of my life, and in a lot of cases cars today come with rims that are as-pretty or prettier than a lot of aftermarket options. Loading up a GT with all the performance options will get me prettier rims (love the ones that come with the Brembo brake package) and a better stereo (looks like the Boss doesn't get a shaker system), at the expense of a whole lot of exclusivity and general badassedness (new word I'm trying out).

Anybody have some insight for me?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:10 AM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tobaGT
So it seems after a week of research that the 3.73 gears make fuel economy worse...but actually bring it down to about the same as my daily driver Subaru Legacy Spec.B...so Brembo package it is.

Further, after a week of research and decisions, and I'm actually pondering stretching my budget for the Boss 302, and going all-performance. Plus, the Boss is something truly special that I'm not too likely to see another one of out on the street. But I can't seem to find the answer to two questions:

1. I know the optional Recaro package on the 302 is a manual seat, does anybody know if the basic seat is a power seat? In all the manual seats I've ever sat in, I have trouble finding a comfortable position, the locks always seem to be just slightly out from where I'd be comfortable.

2. It LOOKS like track apps are included on the 2013, just wanna make sure they're there. It's a Boss after all, and will get some track action.

It might sound silly, but the one drawback to the Boss is the rims, those wagon wheels are truly awful, and I don't want the Laguna Seca model with those pretty split-5-spoke wheels. While I used to put aftermarket rims on everything, I'm kinda past that point of my life, and in a lot of cases cars today come with rims that are as-pretty or prettier than a lot of aftermarket options. Loading up a GT with all the performance options will get me prettier rims (love the ones that come with the Brembo brake package) and a better stereo (looks like the Boss doesn't get a shaker system), at the expense of a whole lot of exclusivity and general badassedness (new word I'm trying out).

Anybody have some insight for me?
Not sure about the seat don't see any literature that mentions it being a power seat so my assumption would be that it isn't. As far as the breaks go yes they are soft if I could go back in time I would have gotten the brembo package. I run the 373 rear and if I drive like a normal human highway I get around 24-25mph mixed driving right around 20. Just my personal opinion I would rather build the GT into the car I want than by the boss they way it is. Its just right for me; not downing the boss that is one bad *** car no doubt. If you spent 5-6000 bucks on the gt in power and suspension upgrades it would be yours and would challenge the boss anyday of the week. Got luck in your quest either way you are picking a great car.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:29 AM
tobaGT

Love the feedback on this forum, you pretty much nailed my conundrum.

I'm going in next week to order my car and I want to be locked in as to what I want. Keep moving options & stuff around on the "build & price" tool on the website, trying to find my perfect car. Anybody have any opinions on the "saddle" interior? I'm a fan of brown leather in my living room, not sure how I'd like it in my car though.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:34 AM
tobaGT

Well this sucks, but I've had some unexpected expenses come up and its going to push a 13 GT out of reach. I can't find an 11 or 12 anywhere nearby, but there are quite a few low mileage 10's around. And it seems the money saved would be good for a pretty substantial number of mods... or a couple big ones.

I'd be after coyote level performance, but it seems that's pretty easy to do with a supercharger and a tune, and be safe for years to come, and be a lot less money than a 13. Am I dreaming here or is this doable?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:03 AM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

If it were me I would search until I found a used 2011 GT. Even if you have to do some traveling to get it. They are out there just be patient. I just wouldn't go down to a 2010. Nothing wrong with the car but you would be starting at a much better performance position with a used 2011. You can certainly get to coyote level however nothing simple or cheap about a supercharger.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:05 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Boss Recaro seats are NOT powered. 4.6 with a blower is nasty and affordable. Good luck with your search.