Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

5.0 problems/complaints

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 11:35 PM
american v8

Default 5.0 problems/complaints

I'm trying to decide which car to buy, either the camaro ss or the new sweet ford 5.0. I'm wondering if anybody is having problems with the 5.0, including the problem of melting 6th gear in the tranny because of cheap parts, any problems at all or complaints so I can consider them. I want some serious replies. Thanks a lot!
Old 07-11-2011, 06:27 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF! ...Complaint is that you DON't have a 5.0 yet!!!!! GL
Old 07-11-2011, 08:01 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to MF.

Let me get this straight...you come to a Mustang forum and you want us to talk you out of buying the best bang for the buck performance car on the planet?

Let me save you some research: Buy a Mustang.

(please take this in the lighthearted spirit it was intended).
Old 07-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Spanx

I have had some problems with my auto transmission but they have replaced it and is working fine now. I do not like much about the SS and love everything about my 5.0. In my opinion go with the Stang you won't be sorry. And they SYNC system is a plus too.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:00 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

Welcome! And being on a mustang forum of course you are going to get everyone telling you to get the mustang. Honeslty, pure performance wise, the 5.0 is better. I am not a big fan of the camaro because of its size and I do not like the interior. The mustang feels like more nimble and I feel the power more in the new 5.0s than I do with the camaro SS. Driving the camaro, it just seemed too big.

Have you driven both? I think once you drive them, your mind will be made up...
Old 07-11-2011, 10:01 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I cross shopped the Camaro and Mustang, as well as the Challenger, and came out with a mustang exclusively because of the new engine. I like the styling of all of them, but while the Camaro is sleek, it does that at the cost of cabin space and that was going to be a pain if I went that route. To me it felt like a coffin inside of the Camaro, let alone in the back seat where things got even tighter

I've owned my 5.0 for almost 10 full months at this point, not a very long time, but still so far nothing has gone wrong with it at all. The only exception is the tire iron they provide, which is made of aluminum and bends like a piece of crap. If you get a spare with yours, replace it with a steel one as soon as you can so you don't end up stranded. I have the auto trans and I love it. Tune makes it much better but either way it's a sweet car.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

One of the complaints I hear from guys with the Camaro's is that a Mustang 5.0 whupped their azz... Does that help?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:14 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
One of the complaints I hear from guys with the Camaro's is that a Mustang 5.0 whupped their azz... Does that help?
+1

Of course, both the SS and 5.0 are so close in performance that both cars are neck to neck. It all comes down to which car has a better driver in it.

But it seems that the all the better drivers are also the smarter ones and wound up buying Mustangs instead!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:58 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Melting 6th gear? How the hell is that even possible?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
... it seems that the all the better drivers are also the smarter ones and wound up buying Mustangs instead!

And, no, we're NOT biased...

Quick Reply: 5.0 problems/complaints