Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Check engine light dread...

Old 09-29-2005, 11:21 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: Check engine light dread...

A MONTH without your car.. what a bummer.

Ask them to pay this months loan payment.. since THEY had your car for that month.. sort of like renting it.

Maybe they will give you a couple hundred dollar coupon for fordracing.com.

But.. most likely - - you will get nothing but the car they let you drive.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:09 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Anyone want to buy a GT?
If I ever get mine back I am going to see what I can get for it or if the dealer will give me enough for a new '06. Or maybe i'll just stop locking it and hope it gets stolen!
Today, Sept 28, after almost 3 weeks in the dealer's service area the Ford tech finally decides that I need new cylinder heads and it will be 10 more freakin' days in the shop! That means I will have been without my new car (less that 4000 miles & 5 months old) for over a month!
Does anyone have any numbers or addresses of someone at Ford that I can call or write to so I can complain? I think it's pretty justified and I bet all the members here would want to yell at everyone who works for Ford! I mean if they know I need new cylinder heads why does it take 10 damn days! They should take 'em off the first GT they have and express mail it out to the dealer.
I just wonder what they are going to offer me, if anything, to compensate...
What should I ask for? I don't know if they will make my monthly payment to the bank. Would they give me Ford accessories?
Anyway, I just hate thinking about this mess so I'll sign off and go visit some **** site or something!

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/1626D5C945574111851B2120539FAC66.jpg[/IMG]
You may be able to get a new car... http://www.yourlemonlawrights.com/st...california.htm (if it's actually in CA)

30 days of non-use or 3 times for the same thing. Add up all the time it's spent in the shop since you've owned it. Not your problem that the Ford dealership can't test their own cars.

First Part, Paragraph 'b' subsection '3.'

or just go to http://www.yourlemonlawrights.com/state_laws/ and choose your state.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:18 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

So I'd been expecting them to say that my car will be ready soon...Unfortunately I had to call the Service Manager today and was informed that they are replacing my engine!
I really let them know how upset I am and was asked what they could do in return. I asked for the following:
That Ford make this month's payment on my loan. ($235)
That they hook me up with the compass rear view mirror and a license plate frame for the front.
That they give me a new Pony Spinner for the back wheel.
He also said that they could give me an extended warranty.
Now I need to know if anyone has had this kind of experience.
Will they zero out my odometer? What will this do to the value of my GT, assuming that everything goes OK. I hadn't been expecting to keep it for a long time; to maybe be replaced by the Bullitt.
Or should I ask to go to arbitration and hope that I can get a new car. I originally brought it in for this engine problem way back on Sept. 07.
I do miss my GT and its wonderful POWER. There is still nothing out there that comes close for this purchase price.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:46 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

More bad news...
Turns out with the 3 valve engine the mechanics can;t check the cylinders as they would with a normal 2 valve engine!
They had to order the testing equipment from Snap on... waiting!
I'm praying I didn't get a lemon engine, but things are looking dim. Has anyone got suggestions on what my rights are regarding lemons, especially here in Calif?
I want to have some insurance for when I drive my car off and the check engine light might come on again, God forbid!
I knew I shouldn't have expected the reliabliity I had gotten from my Hondas and Mazda but this is really making me favor the Japanese autos. For $33,000 I could have bought that 350Z that competes with the GT...
You may be waiting even longer. If they can't fix it, sometimes they fly in a tech from the factory...
Old 10-06-2005, 09:11 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

no they dont zero out the odometer, my uncle had this done on his maxima, $235 is actually pretty cheap, but still have them pay it and for the rental,
Old 10-06-2005, 10:58 AM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

if you accepted the new engine.....i.e. you told them that that would be ok.....then that's that.

if not i'd insist on them buying the car back from you......an engine change reduces the value of the car....not drastically.....but in a car like the mustang that is bound to become a collector's item eventually the car not having a numbers matching engine will reduce the vallue.

for you i guess that's not really a big deal since you said you didn't intend to keep the car all that long anyway.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:00 PM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

Just for your information you might be glad you DID NOT get the 350Z...do a search online because there are lots of problems with them. We backed off from buying one after reading about the problems they've had with them. It was down to the 350Z or Mustang when we did our car shopping. I'm sorry to hear about your major problem. You'd think they'd give you a whole new car.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

So I'd been expecting them to say that my car will be ready soon...Unfortunately I had to call the Service Manager today and was informed that they are replacing my engine!
I really let them know how upset I am and was asked what they could do in return. I asked for the following:
That Ford make this month's payment on my loan. ($235)
That they hook me up with the compass rear view mirror and a license plate frame for the front.
That they give me a new Pony Spinner for the back wheel.
He also said that they could give me an extended warranty.
Now I need to know if anyone has had this kind of experience.
Will they zero out my odometer? What will this do to the value of my GT, assuming that everything goes OK. I hadn't been expecting to keep it for a long time; to maybe be replaced by the Bullitt.
Or should I ask to go to arbitration and hope that I can get a new car. I originally brought it in for this engine problem way back on Sept. 07.
I do miss my GT and its wonderful POWER. There is still nothing out there that comes close for this purchase price.
Push for a NEW CAR. Dealer is throwing all the freebies at you because they can write that stuff off (FoMoCo will reimburse them). The car though comes out of their bottom line. You may want to consider going directly through Ford Corp. on this one since the dealership will try to do everything it can to deflect the cost of the car from the bottom line. First step is request a Lemon Law Packet from my previous post's link. Read through it carefully. Use specific laws as leverage when you speak Ford. If all goes well, you stand your ground, and are eloquent in your concerns, you should be able to avoid arbitration and get what you want.

No they will not/cannot zero out your speedo. As long as the VIN# exists, any odometer that is associated to that VIN cannot be changed. If they replace an odometer, there is paperwork that goes along with it stating what the mileage was on the last odometer, the date it was changed, and the reason. Been there, done that.

As for the value of the car...I don't think any of the Fox Bodies, SN95 bodied, or newer Mustangs will become 'collectible's'. Too many of them and nothing really special about the mass production models. It may devalue the car a bit, but not enough to worry about. Especially if you plan on keeping it for a number of years.

I hope it all works out for you.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:07 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

i would push for a new car too. Now you have a brand new car that is not even a numbers matching car. WTF?!?!

Old 10-06-2005, 06:43 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

I feel your pain....as with a new engine,no one ever has to know and why tell them?....they would get a car with less miles on the engine than the odometer states..a bonus.....as stated about none of those car will be a collectors' item unless we ran out of gas

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check engine light dread...