Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Check engine light dread...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 05:43 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Default Check engine light dread...

Well, it's happened. I started my Mustang GT last Sunday and it seemed to be running a little rough. Kinda shaking, like it was running on 6 or 7 cylinders. went away once it warmed up. Then last Friday morning the damn check engine light ( well, just a yellow icon of an engine) comes on. It's not blinking. I went through the display and everything says it's OK. But that shaking is still there when the car's cold. I had done some rough road racing the Saturday before, and I had done some light engine detailing with a rag that Sunday. Is there anything I should look for? I'm thinking it's an emmissions problem.
I am taking it back to the dealership. I had said I would take it in for all the TSB's, like the popping suspension noises, the gas tank problem and the Shaker 500 problems when something broke. I guess it's time!
Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 09-07-2005, 04:18 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Check engine light dread...

Well, good news!
Turns out I had a defective injector. Fixed under warranty and yes, they fixed the front suspension popping sound! The invoice even lists the TSB I found on these forums.
Did a bit of a burnout on the way out of the service dept! Must have gotten too used to that underpowered Focus they loaned me!
Old 09-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

LOL...

My baby is in the shop right now... the dealership gave me an Out Of Focus to drive... Yuuugggg... I would NEVER buy one of those after driving one for a couple of days!
Old 09-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

well Prof, looks like I'll have to get used to the Focus!
Leaving work last night I was pulling onto the start of the freeway. Open road for 1/4 mile in front of me, so I punched it. At about 85 the darn check engine light starts blinking!
All gauges showed I was ok, no messages on the message center. After about 8 flashes the check engine light stayed on, like before.
The car seemed to be driving like normal. So I'm going back to the dealer today :-(
Any ideas what exactly an injector is and what it looks like?
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:10 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

well Prof, looks like I'll have to get used to the Focus!
Leaving work last night I was pulling onto the start of the freeway. Open road for 1/4 mile in front of me, so I punched it. At about 85 the darn check engine light starts blinking!
All gauges showed I was ok, no messages on the message center. After about 8 flashes the check engine light stayed on, like before.
The car seemed to be driving like normal. So I'm going back to the dealer today :-(
Any ideas what exactly an injector is and what it looks like?
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Blinking CEL is an indication of a severe engine missfire. Since it happened at High speed (probably high RPM as well) there may be crap in the fuel line that is plugging an injector or they got dirt in the line when they did replace it.

Fuel injector is what sprays the fuel into the intake or combustion chamber (depending on how the intake is designed on a car). It doesn't look like much. A 3 1/2" to 4" cylinder with a 45 degree electrical connector on it. One end is the part that screws into the intake/head, the other has the fuel line going into it. The connector usually has two or three prongs in it.

http://images.google.com/images?q=Fu...ourceid=tipimg
Old 09-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Thanks Derf! I thought fuel injection was a good idea... hmmm....
Old 09-08-2005, 05:23 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

When I first got mine it wasn't a week later I received a check engine light. The dealer checked it and told me it was an ingition code. Reflashed it and I have never seen it again. The car always ran like a bat out of hell. My car was made in September of 2005 and from what I hear there has been others who have received the code. There was a recall on this if I'm correct.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

When I first got mine it wasn't a week later I received a check engine light. The dealer checked it and told me it was an ingition code. Reflashed it and I have never seen it again. The car always ran like a bat out of hell. My car was made in September of 2005 and from what I hear there has been others who have received the code. There was a recall on this if I'm correct.
you mean 2004?[:-]
Old 09-08-2005, 06:09 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Yeah your right mine was made Sept 2004. Sorry. Its I think one of the first of its kind since I think that was the first month of production though I could be smelling a big one. Anyone know?
Old 09-09-2005, 04:14 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Mine was made in March of '05.
Today the service guy told me that the mechanic had called Ford to approve changing ALL 8 injectors and Ford said to just replace the one bad #2 injector. Hopefully they'll approve it this time. They were nice enough to loan me a new Escape. I wish I could just go to the dealership down the street about 1/2 a mile away but they have almost no loaners, so I gotta drive about 15 miles north to Galpin Ford.

Quick Reply: Check engine light dread...