Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rented a GT last week

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Shane D

Smile

Originally Posted by MrSandman
One thing this car doesn't do is ease off. After 4000 rpm it feels like you hit a warp drive button

If you kept your foot to the floor, and it felt like it wanted to give up, I'd bet they programmed the key (MyKey) to make the car lazy. You can program the keys to limit top speed, radio volume, keep you from disabling traction control, etc. No tuner required...and I'd bet that's what they did.
Top speed didn't seem affected, at least up to 120. But it was sluggish unless you mashed the pedal right to the floor. After merging on to the highway, I would stomp it and the car screamed for a few seconds and then "backed out" of passing gear?
Can MyKey limit RPM's?

I thought my car was bad on gas, but this car was a piggie. Of course that is due mainly to my "driving style" last week.

And, WOW, is the Boss a beautiful car. Sounds and looks like a Mustang should. GT 500's and Super Snakes are impressive power wise, but the Boss is amazing.

Shane D
Old 09-21-2011, 10:59 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Simple way to find out whether it was the MyKey. Go to a dealer and test drive one.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:53 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I don't think it can limit RPM. If you were able to hit 120mph, I doubt they used MyKey . Maybe the auto kept going into 6th? I've never driven a auto 5.0, but you'd think if you had your foot to the floor you wouldn't hit 6th until after 120. Maybe it was the gearing?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Shane D

Originally Posted by X3xMONGOOSEx3X
Simple way to find out whether it was the MyKey. Go to a dealer and test drive one.
I will do that eventually. However, I can not buy until at least April (providing I can get out of my lease), so I hate the thought of dealing with car dealers before I am ready to buy.

Shane D
Old 09-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Shane D

Originally Posted by MrSandman
I don't think it can limit RPM. If you were able to hit 120mph, I doubt they used MyKey . Maybe the auto kept going into 6th? I've never driven a auto 5.0, but you'd think if you had your foot to the floor you wouldn't hit 6th until after 120. Maybe it was the gearing?
Maybe. That's why I wanted to ask here.

Shane D
Old 09-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

loud banging over speed bumps? maye something was broken. or you didn't go slowly. suspension is pretty stiff on these. traction is an issue because its a 370whp car with 275 width tires.

I just don't know about what happened on your 4) there, i've never heard of anyone describe even driving an auto GT "Stomp the GT and it would wail for a couple of seconds and then ease off" like that. something had to have been done to it.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:24 AM
zinsavage123
1st Gear Member

they are nice I want one baaaddd
Old 09-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Jeckler

Not that I'm doubting Shane D, but I thought Hertz was the only one that had GT's. All KB, all AT.
I had fun in the one I rented for my birthday a couple months ago.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Shane D

Originally Posted by Jeckler
Not that I'm doubting Shane D, but I thought Hertz was the only one that had GT's. All KB, all AT.
I had fun in the one I rented for my birthday a couple months ago.
AVIS in Vegas has everything. I was surprised that they would have Vettes AND Camaros AND Challengers AND Mustangs. Pretty cool though. If they had an SRT8 I might have tried that out. I wouldn't buy one, but it would be fun light to light.

I had fun with the GT but I was expecting a bit more/something different.

I would LOVE to test drive a Boss, but I doubt that will ever happen around here.

Shane D
Old 09-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Shane D

Originally Posted by Mishri
loud banging over speed bumps? maye something was broken. or you didn't go slowly. suspension is pretty stiff on these. traction is an issue because its a 370whp car with 275 width tires.

Maybe it is just the stiff suspension. My wife commented on that but I didn't really notice, except for the speed bumps.

I just don't know about what happened on your 4) there, i've never heard of anyone describe even driving an auto GT "Stomp the GT and it would wail for a couple of seconds and then ease off" like that. something had to have been done to it.
I will definitely have to try another one. I wouldn't base my whole Mustang opinion on a rental car.

Shane D

Quick Reply: Rented a GT last week