Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Good Lord, are there any mods I'm allowed to do in California?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5spdftw
Wtf? A rough idle is illegal? Motherfvcker! Can't wait to pass the sniff test only to have the guy say, "oh well your idle is rough so you failed anyway."
You could move to Indiana.................
Old 11-06-2011, 09:40 PM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

And not be able to drive my baby all year long? I don't know how you stand it...
Old 11-06-2011, 09:45 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Flat out
For what it's worth, I have an m90, long tubes and cams and am one of the IDIOTS who live in Calif.
Unless you helped to ensure the creation of the relevant laws, you're not the IDIOT to which the OP refers. Don't worry. You might be a little bit of an IDIOT for letting the IDIOTS in charge remain in charge... but then, so is the OP.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Unless you helped to ensure the creation of the relevant laws, you're not the IDIOT to which the OP refers. Don't worry. You might be a little bit of an IDIOT for letting the IDIOTS in charge remain in charge... but then, so is the OP.
Boy, I feel so much better now.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 PM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

So, reeling this thread in...what mods are legal? Without paying $100 for a broken hood latch.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Flat out
You could move to Indiana.................
We'd gladly take him!

We also have a 1 Billion dollar state surplus!

The more Mustangs the merrier!
Old 11-06-2011, 10:37 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
2nd Gear Member

Wtf? A rough idle is illegal? Motherfvcker! Can't wait to pass the sniff test only to have the guy say, "oh well your idle is rough so you failed anyway."
The idle isn't illegal but the cam/s that cause it aren't CARB certified...which is just companies paying loads to the ARB for an exempt code. Like danzcool said, there's tons of blowers that are CARB certed along with intakes and what not. Anything moving the cats will never be CARB legal...same thing goes for modding any emissions crap under the hood (EGR, A.I.R. etc). I'm not sure about CMDP but I doubt they'd ever notice as long as the code is tuned out. I always remove my catch can also just in case.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:00 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

So, reeling this thread in...what mods are legal?
50 state legal:

You must do it, do eet now. And while you're at it, get me one.

Last edited by wayne613; 11-07-2011 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:01 AM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

I was actually more tempted by the whipple than the e-force. It seems plenty of people have run those at 10psi and have been very happy. So bottom line is no longtubes, careful with the cams, and be damn sure to stay away from the cats. Anything I missed?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:15 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I was actually more tempted by the whipple than the e-force. It seems plenty of people have run those at 10psi and have been very happy. So bottom line is no longtubes, careful with the cams, and be damn sure to stay away from the cats. Anything I missed?
Check the parts you're looking at against the CARB database, because as stated earlier some parts are not listed simply because the company didn't want to deal with Californiastan.
CARB database: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

Some items are advertised by the companies as CARB pending, but never make it through due to a variety of reasons, usually having nothing to do with actual emissions issues. Steer away from those parts unless you're willing to take the risk.
Be selective of you aftermarket tune, you at least want an emissions tune for when you do go to smog your car, many tuners turn off sensors and the software portion of the smog test looks for that.

Quick Reply: Good Lord, are there any mods I'm allowed to do in California?