Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which Major Upgrade First?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Hey, I'm in Afghanistan for a tad bit longer than you, but possibly moving to Graff when we get back.. With 9E/172I out of Schweinfurt. How is Graff/Hohenfels? I heard you hafta drive about an hour to get anywhere fun (if you're single on a Fri/Sat night anyways). Is there a mustang club in your area? There are only a few at Schweinfurt. I plan on taking a road trip to London when I get back though. Would love to get some other stangers together!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:23 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

GRAF/Hohenfels are not bad military bases, it's what you make of it which determines if you enoy it or not. However, if you are into the night life, the two cities you will drive to (both about an hour away) are Nurnberg (Club called the WON) and Regensberg (Club called FUN PARK). There's a small pub outside of Graf called Ed's (walking distance). Not sure what type of music you are into, but Ed's is basically a country music pub. Both the Funpark and the WON plays hip hop, techno, and old school. Those two clubs are a pretty decent size and have different rooms for the type of music they play. Also, there's a club in the Graf area called THE CROWN, but it's Ghetto as #%#@.

So basically the routine will be this:
Friday drive to Regensberg (Funpark)
Saturday drive to Nurnberg (The WON)
(side note: nice latin club in Nurnberg called FOGON. If you're single and want to meet some very nice european chicks, go there on Saturday).

I like these club better than the MADD (the club in Schweinfurt).

Graf is not bad though. It has the 2nd largest PX in Europe and the base is nicely built (with new barracks, ect). I'm sure there are mustang clubs too because just about 10 percent of soldiers in Honfels and Graf own mustangs. One of the soldiers in my unit on Rear-D is in a Car Club (not sure if it's just for mustangs or mod cars in general). But keep in touch, maybe we can get some stangers together. When I return to Germany in April, I'll have about 7 months left before PCS'ing..

Take care..

Last edited by a_lopez1975; 11-18-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:36 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Also looking at... do you think it would be a better idea to just forge internals? I'm looking at staying around 500rwhp or so.

If a good idea rather than dropping on a brand new block..
Should I get a kit and try to do it myself? Or take it to a shop? Any ideas on round-about costs, or if it is even a worthwhile idea to do this? Thanks!
Old 11-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

bump.
Any opinions on this? I'm still trying to read through the lingo on this with as little time as I have.. but is it easier to just buy a new block? Or will a stoking kit easily put the engine in the safe zone for the whipple kit? Thanks!
Old 11-24-2011, 01:09 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

a built short block is always easier to assemble than a true forged rotating assembly.
I built a few motors before, and though it was fun, it was more for a learning experiance than for a daily driver. If I wanted to get it done asap, I'd do a forged short block, no questions asked.. if I had all the tools and time in the world, I'd do a forged rotating assembly, but it would have to be something ridiculous like a 5.4 forged to a 5.8 or something like that... I say, why not.. if you're gonna go that far, go all out lol

But I get why you'd want to stick with a 4.6 over a 5.4 stroker... much easier lol
Old 11-29-2011, 09:41 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Just get the whipple kit and run the whipple tune. Replace the clutch when needed. Have fun, be safe and never race those german station wagons....lol too funny!