Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Doesn't start sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:08 AM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

Default Doesn't start sometimes

Well I've had this problem for a while and I'm wondering if anyone else has it. When I go to start it with the clutch fully depressed it will sometimes hesitate and fail to start. What's that about?
Old 12-02-2011, 10:04 AM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

Nobody?
Old 12-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Kind of hard to diagnose without more information
Old 12-02-2011, 12:12 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5spdftw
Well I've had this problem for a while and I'm wondering if anyone else has it. When I go to start it with the clutch fully depressed it will sometimes hesitate and fail to start. What's that about?
Are the symptoms a failure for the starter to turn over (no sound, no nada) or a hesitation, such as a stumbling idle or slow to turn over? Obviously, they are 2 different situations so maybe different reasons is why I ask.

I have had 2 instances in the last couple years where I thought I had my clutch depressed all the way and turned the key... and nothing. I simply took my foot off the clutch and pressed in again, this time being sure I fully depressed it and viola, engine roar. I think I must've "limp footed", for lack of a better term, it both times. But both simply did not crank. I did not have any starting problems once the starter was engaged.

Don
Old 12-02-2011, 06:56 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

1st thing is to test your battery, thats always the 1st place to start. Next thing that comes to mind is the neutral safety switch.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:18 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Yea, more info.
Does it turn over but not 'start'?
Or does it not even 'turn over'
when requested to by the ignition
switch?
It could be a multitude of problems with the info so far provided.
PATS
Clutch Safety Switch
FPDM
Crank Sensor
and the list goes on and on
such as is there a proper amount of fuel
when this problem arises and does the
insertion of fuel in the fuel tank usally
make the problem go away

are you giving the engine a CHANCE to start
by holding the key in the start position LONG
enough for the PCM to start producing sparks
and injector pulses

?????
Old 12-03-2011, 10:59 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I do not know if this has any bearing, but I find that my car sometimes is hard to start if I have the AC compressor on. After changing the air filter, every time I start up, I now always make sure the AC compressor is off.

Another question, do you have an aftermarket tune? If so, try asking your tuner to retune for the start-up parameters. Maybe that might eliminate hard start/non-start issues.

Other than that, just like the others said, there could be many more issues at hand.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:18 PM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

Even when I make sure that I have the clutch fully depressed it will do like half of a start and then stop. It never gets started when this happens so there's no idle problem. All I do is let the clutch out and do it again and it starts up no problem. Its not a super serious problem but I was just curious to know what caused it and if anyone was having similar problems.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:57 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Even when I make sure that I have the clutch fully depressed it will do like half of a start and then stop. It never gets started when this happens so there's no idle problem. All I do is let the clutch out and do it again and it starts up no problem. Its not a super serious problem but I was just curious to know what caused it and if anyone was having similar problems.
Sounds as if the switch that detects the clutch being depressed might require adjustment or replacement. Not sure if it is on a simple mount that can be physically adjusted, but take a gander at the shop manual and see if you can see an exploded view.

Don
Old 12-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Smoke2008

I have 2008 Bullitt Mustang 4.6L, I have problems at times starting the Mustang.....I sometimes have to try starting the Mustang several times before it will start. There was on time we tried starting the Mustang 16 times before it start... We have taken it to the dealership and they cannot resolve the starting issue......We have a ext/warranty .....but they will not guess at what could be wrong and replace parts......So last night I replaced the fuel pump assm.......because to me the Mustang acted like it was not gettting fuel ....the times it would not start. When the Mustang was at the dealership everything checked out to be O.K......no issues no codes.....

Quick Reply: Doesn't start sometimes